Shader accessing multiple cameras?

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by jefferytitan, Nov 25, 2016.

1. jefferytitan

Original Member

Hi all,

I'm wondering if/how it's possible for a full-screen shader to access the buffer from a different camera. I'm trying to adapt a ray tracing shader for my needs, and the output of one camera doesn't contain enough info. In general is this possible? Do you have to round-trip the texture to the CPU, or can you do it all on the GPU?

I'm working with Unity 5, but any general answers about whether it's possible are still appreciated.

Cheers,
    JT

2. LongRunGames

LongRunGames New Member

I'm assuming your working with OpenGL as part of unity so that's what I'm gonna describe, you can render the scene twice from two different camera views, each to a different offscreen fbo, each fbo would contain the rendered colour buffer and depth buffer for each camera view, which could be passed to a shader as a 2D texture.