Separation of Concerns

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by ccwscott, Sep 2, 2017.

1. ccwscott

ccwscott New Member

When you're building a game what general design pattern do you use? I was planning on having a game mechanics layer that handles the location of all the game objects and the rules about how they interact, and a layer with all the graphics entities that determines how to display the game state and interprets device input into actions on the game objects. My concern is that transferring all the data about the game state every time the screen updates would have too much overhead. My plan was to have some event driven back about game state changes or the like, but wanted to ask about how other people do it, or if there is a generally universally accepted approach to handle this.

2. Scoper

Indie Author

The design patterns I use depend on what I am building. I have not found one general-purpose design pattern to use for everything. Some of the patterns I use most commonly are: Factory, Singleton, Facade, Command and Observer.
    The answer to your specific problem will also depend on the type of game. For a board or card game type of game, it makes good sense to have a central controller for the location of all objects. For a shooter or platformer, it is better to have each object handle its own state.
    Concerning events and frame updates, it is generally considered bad practice to send events every frame - for the reasons you state. Events should be sent only when something happens or changes.