Sensible Soccer?

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by higgipoker, Sep 22, 2015.

1. higgipoker

higgipoker New Member

No, Senseless Soccer! :)

It's not even an indie project, just a hobby and a learning experience (hope that's cool), but it would be nice to get some activity and feedback. It's written with SDL2 to run on Windows, Linux and Mac.

http://www.digital-minds-blog.blogspot.com

DISCLAIMER: retro 2D game, no fancy modern graphics here :p

3.png

#1 higgipoker, Sep 22, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
    NO9 likes this.
  2. NO9

NO9
    Original Member

Resemblance is very high. What left to implement? AI? I would play it to see how it work with analog stick.

3. higgipoker

higgipoker New Member

Hi. To get it to a semi-playable state (pre-pre-alpha?) :

- goalkeeper diving/catching.
    - throw-ins, corners and goal kicks (or just an invisible wall round the pitch).
    - as you said, basic AI for the computer players.

Good point on the analog stick. I'll have to dig out my old 360 controller! I work on this in the evenings and weekends as time allows, so sometimes progress can lag!

Did you play the original back in the day?

P.S. credit to the "Yoda Soccer" project for letting me steal their graphics for now.

NO9 likes this.
  4. NO9

NO9
    Original Member

Sometimes I'm just curious if implementing analog will break or enchance old games experience. It can be tricky.

Man, I played it a lot. I think for me this was one of the most joystick-breaking game ever. Good luck with finishing it to playable state :).

higgipoker likes this.
  5. higgipoker

higgipoker New Member

Yup it will definitely be interesting to see how it affects the controls... I'd already thought about a version 2 (way in the future!) using strict top-down sprites (more like kickoff) to then allow for full 360 movement.

Did you play on Amiga? SWOS? What made the game truly great for me was the database and career mode (Championship Manager 93 fan!).

Check out the data website - I spent quite some time writing a data parser in php - it's reading the data directly from the original game dat files, not an exported database. No save or export functionality yet, but it's interesting to browse the data :)

http://www.higgis.at/senseless/index.php (user/pass: guest)

Edit: Of course the long term goal for this is to modify it for "senseless soccer" to allow people to edit, share and merge their game data online.

#5 higgipoker, Sep 22, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  6. NO9

NO9
    Original Member

Yes, I did play all SS parts on Amiga, and later tried it on ZSnes emulator which allows to play by the Internet. And it worked well.

Real names and divisions added to the game greatly. Especially when you coul win a cup for your country which in the real world had no chance to do it (like Poland ;)).

It looks really nice and solid what you achieved to this moment. I hope you will finish it.

Btw. Did you play the remake of Speedball 2 ( http://store.steampowered.com/app/251690/ )? I played it for a while and it quickly came back to me what I didn't like in the original. It was repetitive gameplay. There are just a few effective paths to score the goal and to win you usually do the same again and again. They (Vivid Games) wanted to be as close to the original as possible but I think it was a mistake. Analog controls could add more variety and freedom to the gameplay. I think this is the difference which Sensible Soccer made with all those curvy ball pathes. It was a brilliant idea. But in this case analog can spoil it.

7. higgipoker

higgipoker New Member

Yeah I remember being totally astounded to see my home town team in the game. I mean we are barely even amateur!

Speedball.. oh what a game! I remember seeing the new project but didn't get around to trying it out and then totally forgot about it.

One of the things I really liked about it back in the day was the "strategy" element in the different ways you could score points. Kind of like rugby, taking the penalty conversion over going for a try. In Speedball you could go for the cheap points off the bumpers.

From the vids it looks like they did a respectable job... though a commercial remake of speedball in a modern Madden style with all the 3D bells and whistles would be interesting!

8. NO9

NO9
    Original Member

I did not mean Speedball was a bad game. I had a lot of fun knocking out some players. But it weared off relatively quick in comparison to Sensible Soccer for example. And I regret that remake didn't try to add analogs.

higgipoker likes this.
  9. higgipoker

higgipoker New Member

Understood, just musing :)

I didn't play Speedball 2 to death like I did Sensi and Champ man... I suppose that probably says something in itself. The career mode was limited, yet still impressive with the tech (2 floppies and 512k ram!) they had back then.

As for SWOS, I would love to have been a fly on the wall in that meeting - "yeah, we're going to include almost every single competition, team and player in the world...also a fully simulated universe and 25 year career mode..." To this day it is mind boggling that they even attempted it, never mind achieved it so brilliantly.

NO9 likes this.
  10. NO9

NO9
    Original Member

Exactly. I have read it in some interview with John Hare that was huge effort. And it payed off. Their accuracy was really impressive.

11. metateen

Moderator Indie Author

Reminds me of those sports games on the Sega Genesis. got the nostalgia vibes from it. I really,really like it!

Very smooth looking, clearly takes a lot of time to get things to look that sort of way honestly, it's pretty elite if you ask me! So props given there!

12. higgipoker

higgipoker New Member

Very kind comments. Thank you!

Yup, after its unprecedented success on the Amiga, Sensible Soccer was released on SNES and Genesis. It was also re-released on XBox Live or whatever it's called, but it's just not the same without the database/career modes from the Amiga and PC.

13. higgipoker

higgipoker New Member

Ironically, since you used the word "smooth," I noticed a glitch in the camera. It was kind of twitching when the ball moved due to player "close control." Much smoother now! :)

Here's a comparison:

14. higgipoker

higgipoker New Member

NO9 likes this.
  15. higgipoker

higgipoker New Member

Took a timeout to redesign the nets, just for fun (I'll get a proper artist to do them later).

What do you think?

Untitled.png

16. higgipoker

higgipoker New Member

Oh, and if anybody has any ideas, I'm looking for ways to animate the nets dynamically in the game. I think one of those cloth sim algorithms might be overkill ;) There must be a nice way to do it with flipping sprites?

17. NO9

NO9
    Original Member

It looks like straight fill to me, not like stretched net.

I think there are plenty of ways to fake it.
    Like here, for example (right the begining) :)

higgipoker likes this.
  18. higgipoker

higgipoker New Member

Well yeah, the actual graphic is 100% programmer art :p

It was more to show the idea of seeing the goal mouth, whilst keeping the simple overhead concept.

19. higgipoker

higgipoker New Member

A little bit of progress: an "intelligent" parry-type save:

20. higgipoker

higgipoker New Member

Some more work on the goalkeeper.

NO9 likes this.