Sell me some Sounds ?

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by Applewood, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Is there somewhere I can buy batches of generic sound effects ?

I've been to soundrangers and I thought the prices there were truly shocking. I dont know exactly what I want, so I need to hear it in my game, so I want to buy batches of sounds to choose from. I certainly don't want to hand-pick them one at a time or go through the tedium of asking a sound engineer to provide some "mechanical bloopy noises for level boss deaths" etc. - That way I get what he thinks is right, not what I do. It's bloody hard to communicate this stuff.

What would suit me would be to buy samples in batches. Maybe a whole bunch of generic UI bings and bongs for 10 bucks, etc. At something cheaper than 2 dollars per millisecond like on soundrangers!

I don't know how realistic this is, but I've a few hundred bucks to spend just to fill out a nice base of varied effects for general useage. But I'd expect to get a crapload of wavs for that. Surely I'm not on my own here ?

2. Aldacron

Original Member

3. FlySim

Indie Author

4. xelanoimis

Original Member

5. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

This is more like it, thanks guys...

6. Alistair Hutton

Alistair Hutton New Member

That's bizarre, I'd checked out indiesfx a month or two ago and dismissed them on my cursory check. This time I listened to a couple of their sounds and realised they've got a pack pretty much perfect for my game. Uncanny. Or possibly just unobservant on my part.

EDIT: Aaaah, I'd checked them out for royalty free music, not the sound effects.

The sound effects are superb value. I think it was princec so said atmosphere comes from sound, I can only agree. I've found the collection I've just bought inspiring and want to write so many more games just to use all the sounds I've got.

#6 Alistair Hutton, Oct 24, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
  7. WaveRider

Indie Author

another vote for soundsnap

#7 WaveRider, Oct 24, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2008