Seattle Casual Connect

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by NathanR, Jun 24, 2007.

1. NathanR

NathanR New Member

Not sure if this goes in the business or chat forum, I guess a moderator will move it if this is the wrong place.

Anybody going to the Casual Games Association's conference up in Seattle in a few weeks? I will be there, and as a relatively new kid on the block I would love to meet more people and chat with you about your games and experiences.

We have a table there in the Bronze Sponsor section so stop on by and say hello if you are in the area.

2. Matthew

Indie Author

I'm there all week. Looking forward to seeing everyone!

3. NathanR

NathanR New Member

Ooo I gotta talk to you about entering our games in to the IGF!

4. Musenik

Original Member

I'll be attending. I always enjoy meeting new indie developers.

5. tolik

Original Member

I'll be there, but, as usually, I'll probably be uncatchable...

6. James C. Smith

Moderator Original Member

I will be there Monday though Friday. On Wednesday I am lecturing about Game-Sales-Charts.com. I will be presenting trends I have found in the data and also just showing how to make the most use of the site yourself. The rest of the time I am hoping to hang out with other game developers and share ideas and war stories. I sure hope we can find a gathering that doesn’t have music blaring and 3 people per square foot.

7. NathanR

NathanR New Member

Luckily those gatherings also tend to have free booze.

8. James C. Smith

In the past the free booze has attracted me to those event. But the real attraction was mingling with peers. I have finally realized that you usually get VERY poor mingling ability at these events. I don't care how much free booze is there or how many interesting peers are there. If I can't talk to them due to crowds or music then I am going to find a better place to mingle. I am really done with the type of “networking opportunities” that these events usually have. Maybe I should plan to meet everyone at the starbucks nearest to the official party. Go to the party and get a free drink or two and then meet me at starbucks so we can have a conversation.

9. NathanR

NathanR New Member

We have a table there for all three days and thus far one person has set up an appointment, and its just to try and sell us something.

Stop on by and chat with us at our table, should be nice and quiet.

But I am also intrigued with the idea of a counter-party at the nearest starbucks where we can mingle without the loud music. Thats quite interesting... I'll back you on that idea. Im not much for schmoozing in bars anyway.

10. Cartman

Indie Author

I'll be there. And I'd be happy to give advice on things to do in the area. Just PM me.

Unforutanely the Starbucks downtown all close after 6. You have to go to the University area for a late night Starbucks or there is one near me by Lake City Way that stays open, but its a drive for people staying downtown.

I was thinking we should have a get together the night before the conference for people to get together and talk. The locals here who meet monthly, I'm sure would love to meet everyone and talk games.

11. NathanR

NathanR New Member

Well if that doesn't work out, the fact remains: we got a bronze sponsorship table down in a corner somewhere. Just look for the banner and come have a seat. I would love to talk to ya, and I promise I won't have music blasting or be drunk.

12. Backov

Original Member

I might be coming to this representing the company I am working for now, but I'll have to read up on it a bit. I'd love to hook up with some of you Seattle folks if I do though.

13. berserker

Indie Author

Sure I'll be there like last year. I'll arrive at 15th and leave at 22nd.
    See you there!
    ________
    Tf109

#13 berserker, Jun 27, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  14. ggambett

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I'll be there from the 16th through the 21st. Looking forward to meet you guys again!

15. jessycat

Original Member

Hi Everyone - I'm not sure if you have seen this. But OGSi is hosting a benefit Texas Hold-em on July 19th.

More information here:
    http://seattle.casualconnect.org/maryclarersvp.html

With regard to parties... MumboJumbo's party this year is at the Seattle Art Museum, so that should be nice and talkable as will the events at Benaroya Hall (Government Reception & Charity Poker)

See ya all soon!

16. James C. Smith

I am very glad to see these ‘talkable’ events. I am especially looking forward to the hold'em tournament. See you there.

17. jessycat

Original Member

:) It is always a struggle for the volume.

Personally, I like it quiet, I've had to fight with DJ's that I was paying for my parties to get them to keep the volume down...

18. ggambett

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Soooo... are we doing an IndieGamer dinner one of these days? I'll be there from monday to friday.

BTW, does anyone know if there is WiFi at the conference?

19. Cartman

Indie Author

I'll do a search for places we can meet on Monday night for a late dinner. I need to check where the hotels are and what can work. Not expensive, good volume level to talk, etc. I should have something by the end of the day.

20. Cartman

Indie Author