SDL or other DX wrapper for BlitzMax?

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by rodent, Jan 21, 2005.

1. rodent

Original Member

Those of you who have BlitzMax, or are otherwise a bit more familiar with it, how hard do you think it would be to make a wrapper for SDL or other DirectX 2D library for Windows version of BlitzMax?

While BlitzMax has OpenGL stuff, I gather that it is by no way bound to it. Yet I haven't seen any signs of a DX 2D module. I think a DX 2D module would make BlitzMax the optimal choise for indie 2D game development.

I am tempted to buy BlitzMax just to see if I could make a wrapper for it...

Any ideas?

2. HunterSD

Indie Author

The BlitzMax 2D module is setup in a very sensible way that allows multiple renderers to coexist with the basic command set. If you've got experience using it in C/C++, it'll be really easy to add it to Max.

3. rodent

Original Member

Actually I have no experience with SDL. I have browsed SDL tutorials, but that's all. Would a BlitzMax wrapper for SDL be as simple as mostly just writing function definitions for the SDL dll?

I wonder if making a wrapper for Allegro (which has more features) would be any harder?

I know next to nothing about making mods for BlitzMax, but I have the impression that you could compile C code directly into BlitzMax executables. Is that correct? And if so, could I theoretically include full Allegro source into a BlitzMax project? Allegro site says MiniGW, which BlitzMax uses, is supported.

I notice there are already some wrappers for BlitzMax, like LUA and GLui, so perhaps writing wrappers for BlitzMax really is as easy as you say.

I am very interested in BlitzMax but I don't dare to go OpenGL on Windows.