screen resolution

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by JoeD, Sep 17, 2011.

1. JoeD

JoeD New Member

C#. I have found several ways to dynamically change the resolution in the form. What I want to do is not mess with the icons on desktop of original resolution. When i come back to my desktop the icons are all scrunched up in the upper left corner

2. JeBuS

JeBuS New Member

Show us the code for what you do now to change the desktop resolution. Just a guess here, but it sounds like you're missing something when your program exits and releases.

3. BLK Dragon

BLK Dragon New Member

This problem usually solved by setting native (original) screen-resolution before switching back from full-screen mode (and exiting you app/game).

4. jcottier

jcottier New Member

> This problem usually solved by setting native (original) screen-resolution before switching back from full-screen mode (and exiting you app/game).

Actually, when going fullscreen, you should try to use the native res of the desktop (that the only one you can assume really exist).

My engine is working with 2 res:

* the game res (the one I'm working with and creating the art for)
    * and the physical one (the screen one)

The engine take care of scaling (up or down) and centring the final rendering so it does fit any res. The engine also add black bars (vertically or horizontaly). I'm using this engine for PC and Mac but also for iOS and it is a joy to have the iPad version working with zero work (but with black bars).

JC

5. JeBuS

JeBuS New Member

All completely irrelevant to the topic at hand. But a good job tooting your own horn.

#5 JeBuS, Sep 18, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  6. jcottier

jcottier New Member

BLK Dragon made a very clever comment. I quoted him and said that native screen-resolution should actually be used all the time. So, yes, definitely relevetant to the setting.

Man, I just explained how I do it, that it... I have nothing to sale here.

I do find your atitude OTT.

JC

7. jpoag

jpoag New Member

+1 JCottier

I'm pretty sure this is becoming industry standard, at least for casual games anyways.

8. Olofson

Original Member

+1 for using the desktop resolution for fullscreen - at least as the default setting.

It seems reasonable to assume that most people with large screens also have video cards with the extra GPU bandwidth to handle it.

(Also, personally, I strongly prefer running my display at its native resolution, avoiding scaling blur - but normal people, not using 30" displays, might not care as much. :D)

BTW, Windows isn't the only OS/desktop that tends to mess things up when switching video modes. Some X11 window managers (used on Linux, Unix systems etc) screw up window positions, mix up multiple desktops and whatnot when an application switches resolution, no matter how it's done. :mad:

9. JoeD

JoeD New Member

Thanks, everyone. This is an issue I will have to address. Right now focusing on learning enough to have a game start, play and finish. I do believe the timing of my switch is causing the desktop rearrangement, but I
    have a lot to learn and the other approaches will bear consideration...

10. BLK Dragon

BLK Dragon New Member

Since I'm (and presumably topic-starter) doing 3D that's generally not very good idea to use native screen resolution by default, because, for example, 1600x800 + intel-videocard = poor performance. That's not hypothetical example -- my second VAIO (P-series) is just that hardware combination.

And I prefer don't assume existing resolution(s) but enumerate them -- obvious stuff, but still.

11. hippocoder

Indie Author

It's not slow at all if you stretch. The actual rendering still takes place at whatever resolution you chose. The stretch blit stuff is very low cost.

12. JeBuS

JeBuS New Member

Looking back, my "attitude" was rather ridiculous, I suppose.
    He asked why his cup was leaking. You told him he didn't need a cup, because the river is just over there. Then you told him how great your hands were for holding water. All without addressing the question at hand of a leaky cup. I apologize for calling you out on it.

But hey, at least you were correct that you quoted BLK Dragon, who actually did try to address the question directly!

13. hippocoder

Indie Author

Christ these forums have really gone downhill with noobs and mouthy kids last time I was a regular.

14. JeBuS

JeBuS New Member

It's also changed from years ago when I merely lurked and the "bigshots" actually answered questions. But you're still correct: I should shut up now. Blame it on a bad mood.

15. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Yep, and you know why I keep fighting the good fight? It's always the seriously experienced "done it all" guys getting beaten up.

It's often me, but I can take it. This time it's JC, who also probably sold his first game before the current antagonist was born.

I leave this forum often, but always return because this place is just so fuckin funny. :-D

#15 Applewood, Sep 20, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  16. Applewood

To my read, the OP said "My cup is leaking" and JC said "That's because you picked a broken cup, here's one without any holes"

17. JeBuS

JeBuS New Member

Generally I agree with you, too, when you call people out. Maybe my reaction here is just the product of me watching a once-awesome forum gone downhill. I don't post much, but I visit several times a day and read just about everything. The change from "back then" to now...

*shrugs*

And unless Jean-Claude was selling games when he was a kid, I doubt your other comment. ;) He's got me by a few years, but not that many.

@Jean-Claude: I apologize for jumping on you personally. Truly. Your post was simply the straw that broke the camel's back. After a weekend away from everything (this forum included), I do think it was a bad move on my part to post it. Sort of like posting drunk.

18. Applewood

I totally get where you're coming from, I'll apologise too.

Group hug? :)