Science Girls! (RPG, Win/Mac/Linux)

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by papillon, May 29, 2009.

1. papillon

Indie Author

*cackles madly at cliffski's post*

I'll have to think about that blog idea. :) Could be fun, could be exhausting to try and come up with content though.

Anyway, the game is open for affiliation to anyone that wants it via BMT Micro (I almost typed BBC Micro, I need more sleep)

2. AlexWeldon

AlexWeldon New Member

21st century feminism is so weird. I agree that the short skirts, disproportionate bodies and the whole fact that you're focussing on their gender at all are far more sexist than using contrasting typefaces. But I guess the trend these days is that it's somehow ironic or empowering for a demographic to degrade and objectify itself, but a travesty for anyone else to acknowledge any differences whatsoever.

On the other hand, why not use the more flowery typeface for "Science" and a tougher-looking one for "Girls"?

3. Dark Octave

Dark Octave New Member

I don't have much to add but looks really good.

One complaint is that the eyes look strange, as if they are too far in the middle of the character's heads but their faces are at an angle. Also, they all have the exact same face and eyes. I know anime has similar looking characters in most of them but they don't just copy and paste the same exact eyes from one character to another.

Other than that, the art quality is excelent. I like the original logo where "girls" overlaps the other word. Gives it a wacky look and feel. I feel it just needs to be neater to match the rest of the images I've seen so far though.

That's my 2. I know it's a girly game but I'll try this out when I get home.

4. Bad Sector

Original Member

Anime/manga made for girls have the same art style.

Basically almost all anime/manga has the same art style.

5. AlexWeldon

AlexWeldon New Member

Right... and most of the girl bands you see on MTV dress in a hyper-sexualized manner; that doesn't mean it's not objectifying. "Everyone does it" is not a good excuse for anything, really.

6. Maupin

Original Member

What Alex said.

Plus, I was thinking more about the skirt lengths, tightness of the blouses, etc. I suppose they could be considered a "style" of drawing, but in my mind at least it's secondary to the anime style itself. Most manga/anime titles for girls are a lot less "sexy" than the screenshots from Science Girls - especially the manga. Girls in them wear actual real clothes that wouldn't get them thrown out of school. ;P

I just thought it was a bit odd to worry about the title font with such outrageous character designs. (Which personally I happen to like.)

7. Bad Sector

Original Member

Manga/anime is made in Japan and this is how uniforms are in Japan (i still don't see why every single non-Japan-made work that uses manga/anime-style has a setting Japan though, especially when many Japan-made manga/anime are set in other places - especially Europe).

Its a bit hard to find real images using Google Images, but i think this, this and especially this aren't very different from how the girls in Science Girls look like. Of course one could go down and ask why the uniforms are designed like they are in the first place, but thats another story. Personally i would go and ask why they still wear uniforms instead of normal clothes :).

8. Maupin

Original Member

I live in Japan. You'll notice that the uniforms of the junior high school and high school girls in the photos you posted have longer skirts and looser blouses than the girls in the screenshots in this thread.

Schools here are all about uniformity, hence uniforms. I always thought school uniforms were a horrible idea until I actually came to live here - now I see good and bad points about them.

9. Bad Sector

Original Member

Well, in Greece schools had uniforms until 1982 ago or so. My mother tells me they felt awful and both parents and students liked it when uniforms were abandoned.

Although in late years there were whispers about bringing them back for economic reasons and some private schools still use uniforms.

10. HDL

HDL New Member

I loved the idea of Science Girls, the writing was great and the plot was interesting. I found the battle system a bit clumsy though. I kept feeling like I was going to die and with only 3 mandarins and one girl's first aid skill (which she didn't seem to have much SP for) it didn't seem enough. That said no one did actually die so maybe the balance is right.

I look at the girls and they don't seem at all sexualised to me. They look cute. They're all properly covered. Even the girl who's not wearing a tie isn't showing any cleavage and I think it makes her look rebellious as opposed sexy. The skirts may be short but there's no shots of huge expanses of leg followed by high heels or something silly like that. They're just uniforms. Girls at my school would wear their skirts just as short. I didn't even notice the tightness of their blazers until it was mentioned and even then it doesn't seem to be sexualising them, it more just seems like artistic style.

I actually thought it seemed rather empowering, here's a club of girls who're friends, they're bound together by their love of science. The school is attacked and they immediately start to get to the bottom of it, fighting off the monsters without complaint. Not once (so far) has a boy been mentioned.

I agree entirely with Papillon's reasoning for having Science Girls in the same font with the same style. It's "Science Girls!" not "Science" Girls Edition or anything like that which having the Girls in a separate font would make me think. I'll admit to a certain prejudice against games which has the word girls written in pink, in flowery lettering or anything like that tacked on. In trying to appeal to a more feminine audience (which is the only reason I can think they'd do it) they actually turned me off. I never liked playing girls versions of games, to me it always signified a subpar game where there was more emphasis on appealing to stereotypical girly things than actually providing interesting gameplay.

I managed to break the game by turning skip mode on and then being unable to find out how to turn it off. I did try to switch it off but clicking on things didn't seem to work.

Also I didn't like that it pointed me to a webpage for some help files. I'd rather have those included in the download so I can refer to it even if I'm offline.

11. Leon

Original Member

The game looks interesting. Also it seems this game should gather some decent word of mouth with it's "controversy" if this thread shows anything. :)

12. zoombapup

Moderator Original Member

Played the demo, really liked the game. A couple of observations:

1) I would prefer if the enemies had some visible health so I could determine who to attack. But I realize this might be a sticky one.

2) I got down a few floors and had a battle with six round thingies, only there werent six because they kept multiplying. It was a real grind to get through them, but I finally did it and felt good afterwards.

3) The screems are a bit annoying. Probably because there's a lot of high frequency noise in em. Perhaps town them down a bit or give me a slider to do so? I like having them there, but its just overkill now.

4) The rooms as I cleared them seemed pretty empty and devoid of purpose other than for having a cel to kick off an encounter. Feels like the room should play some part in the combat or have something in it to aid/hinder me.

5) Needs a bit more feedback in the combat. Suggest some more particle effects for hits/misses and generally a bit more sparklies to let me know how I'm doing.

6) The characters in iso view need a bit of animation. Just a sort of breathing animation would do. So I feel theyre a bit more alive.

13. papillon

Indie Author

Missy (Computer Girl) has a power that scans enemy data, which includes seeing their health, but you don't pick her up until after the demo. (Of course, it's questionable if it's worth wasting a turn of actual attack just to get data on the enemy, which is why the power also has a debuff attached.)

I'll have to check with the dev on that one. I know there's a slider for sound effects in general but I'm not sure how feasible it is to manually adjust only those effects.

And yes, more sparklies would be fun. :)

14. papillon

Indie Author

New demos are out with varied difficulty levels - so anyone who found it too tough to begin with, please check out the new settings and let me know how you get on. Thanks!

15. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Too tough? ugh... not really :p

16. papillon

Indie Author

Many people did! That's the problem with genre fans writing games. :)

(Me, I've just finally started playing Revenant Wings and I had to repeat the first mission with summoned-espers in it about five times before I stopped getting killed, and each time I had to go through all the lead-in dialog... I feel like SG was already much more friendly!)

17. papillon

Indie Author

18. Indinera

Moderator Indie Author

Are you the author of this? I thought not :eek:

19. papillon

Indie Author

That depends on how you define author. :) I worked on the game, and I'm selling it, but it's not 'my' game, it's the Caterpillar's.

20. Indinera

Moderator Indie Author

This is what I thought, thanks :p