Science Girls! (RPG, Win/Mac/Linux)

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by papillon, May 29, 2009.

1. papillon

Indie Author

The school is under attack, and only the Science Club can save the day! Guide a group of schoolgirls as they fend off an alien invasion. Unlock exciting science powers like Big Bang and Exponential Explosion to fend off your enemies. It's all up to you, fearless leader!

And the details for those that know their RPGS:

Diablo-style levelup customisation (You can choose which skills to raise)

All party members gain experience (so you don't have to keep frantically swapping to keep everyone balanced)

Party members can be swapped in combat, and automatically swap if one is knocked out (So none of the confusion of wondering why you've gathered a team of ten people but if two of them get knocked out you lose!)

Grind-free design (You should not have to sit around farming monsters in one area for hours in order to get powerful enough to go to the next area.)

Light-hearted plotline (It's funny, but not hyuk-hyuk-dumb-parody funny. No earth-shattering angst or demons either.)

Current quest displayed on savegames (so you can remember what it was that you were trying to do!)

Science! (Everything is better with science.)

Screenshots:
    http://www.hanakogames.com/gzscreenshot1.jpg
    http://www.hanakogames.com/gzscreenshot2.jpg
    http://www.hanakogames.com/gzscreenshot3.jpg

Demos for all systems:
    http://www.hanakogames.com/science.shtml

2. CasualInsider

CasualInsider New Member

Congratuations! :)

Some of the font choices are not credit to the team imo (such as adventure font). Some sounds, and music are also a little too harsh and repetitive imo.

3. Bad Sector

Original Member

Whoever did this, is awesome!

I'm downloading the Linux demo right now (big thanks for providing a Linux demo :))

*later*

I died after being attacked by six mirroring ball-like things (i don't remember the name :p).

Ok, i like the dialog :p. And the yelling is a nice touch, although i'm sure it'll become tedious after a while (so adding an option was nice).

Is it my idea or the text background changes colors?

4. DayDream

Indie Author

I downloaded it - and will try it later... but just looking at the screenshots I agree with CasualInsider - font choices are not good... The game logo is not working at all for me - looks unbalanced and thrown together in a hurry...

I just did a quick mock of an alternative design:
    [​IMG]
    [needs more work though]

5. papillon

Indie Author

Neither of us working on this is much for logo design, but one thing we strongly would NOT want is a textual distinction between 'Science' and 'Girls'. To me, that says "Almost like a real game, except for girls!" Condescending, if you see what I mean.

6. Acord

Acord New Member

Now, if it was called something like "SciChicks" or "Magical Science Team Unicorn Woohooooooo!" or "Blaster Babes" I could understand. I think it's good as is.

7. DayDream

Indie Author

"Condescending, if you see what I mean. "

Honestly, Papillon... that's soooooo overly sensitive and far fetched you have to be American to understand it.

The idea is to combine the two ideas of analytic and rigid science with a square and clean font and the girls idea with a more flowing and dynamic font. By combining them [by proximity and the added border] I really can't see how they can be seen as separate elements.

8. Musenik

Original Member

DayDream,

I agree with Papillon. Here's what it might look like if you went the other direction along the axes Papillon is talking about.
    [​IMG]

A little too serious and respectful.

9. Musenik

Original Member

Some feedback:

In battle I wanted to click on the image of the target instead of the label. I continued to make that 'mistake' even after figuring it out.

The writing is okay, light humor, as you said. I did laugh aloud when the first tree shaped monster hung in the room like a giant trophy.

Answering the first question felt a little too much like a test. I felt bad when I answered wrong.

If this is a game of using science to beat monsters, in the first battle I should have had something more science-y than 'PUNCH' to attack with. Maybe start with a clue to fetch something out of the biology room before the first battle.

You can probably tell it's not my kind of game, but I think it'll be another nice product for you.

congratulations,

10. DayDream

Indie Author

11. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Very nice game. At such price is a must buy. The battle engine is very well done!

12. Spiegel

Spiegel New Member

I really dont see how a change in the lettering may be condescending, I think the whole notion of the game may be considered sexist first (because of the title) than the lettering condescendent.

13. papillon

Indie Author

It was a very strong reaction on the part of both my partner and myself, independent of each other. It sets up a dichotomy between 'Science' and 'Girls', implying 'these things do not normally go together.' As if what would 'normally' go there had been wiped away and 'Girls' scrawled in its place. Where 'Science' is presented as rigid and cool and orderly, and 'Girls' are wild and messy and warm and a bit pink.

Would it bother the majority of customers? Probably not, especially since girls are pretty used to being condescended to and having to justify their skills with "And look good doing it!" But that's not the point. I'm presenting a situation in which science is a perfectly normal thing for girls to be doing and nobody feels the need to justify it or explain that really science is just like Cooking! or Makeup! or talk about their boyfriends. Did I mention I went to an all-female school? :)

I certainly didn't think Daydream intended it to come across in a negative way, I'm just explaining how to my eye it's inappropriate.

(There are things I don't like about the main menu, but my partner was insistent about them, and I gave up and saved my arguments for things that were more important! I do like the way the font along the bottom looks in Daydream's retakes, but for various reasons I won't go into it's probably not something we could do atm.)

About the SCIENCE powers - You get them as you level up. So yeah, you only start with Punch. We've had some debate about the pros and cons of doing it this way. The argument is to keep the number of options limited at first (casual learning curve) and also to keep the steady excitement of constantly discovering new things you can do. By the time you clear the first floor, Psychology Girl has Hypnotise (a stun) and Biology Girl has First Aid (a heal). By the end of the game you'll have six girls with many different powers each.

Inventory is mostly downplayed. There's no equipment as such (no armor or weapons to constantly upgrade) and almost all items are just healing.

#13 papillon, May 29, 2009
    Last edited: May 29, 2009
  14. bbjones

bbjones New Member

I don't get how DayDream's ideas to fancy up the logo makes it somehow not "normal" when the girls pictured are typical anime fantasy?

The different logo approach works much better imo since it fits the images (which are totally fake and have no relationship to real "anything"). I'd say something different if you had realistic looking girls instead of anime supa-stars.

Congrats on the release :)

15. Maupin

Original Member

I have to say I was thinking pretty much the same thing. The sexy anime art could be seen as a lot more condescending toward girls than using a different font for the word "girls" in the title.

That said, I do like the all blue version of the title that Daydream posted better than any of the others, just because his original purple "girls!" looked too much like silly string.

16. Spiegel

Spiegel New Member

Must be the UK then, In Portugal Science related stuff is basically ruled by women, in college and in the industry, so for me science stuff almost always brings me to memory girls. :) So its probably me that does not see it as shocking.

Like it was said before, Congrats on the launch of the game :D

17. electronicStar

Original Member

Science?
    Isn't that subject a bit sensitive for the US audience?
    Anyway good luck, congratulation for trying to bring more traditionnal game types to portal players.
    I am personally allergic to this anime style but many people will like it I hope.

18. Elder

Elder New Member

Congratulation Hanako, I'm truly impressed with the atmosphere of your game. It looks really fantastic. I am pretty convinced that you will meet success.

Nevertheless, I believe that DayDream's visual suggestion is really putting the game in a better marketing direction. Maybe the science logo from the original design should be kept though. Of course the decision belong to you, it's not always easy to accept other people's vision, but I can ensure you that DayDream know what he's doing, I've been his co-worker! :)

19. cliffski

Moderator Original Member

These games aren't normally attractive to me, but that just sounds awesome.
    If Psychology girl doesn't have her own blog on your website, she needs one NOW.
    Seriously... this is a concept with serious legs.
    Does Molecular girl have the ability to shape-shift?
    Are all the girls weakened in the presence of creationist literature (like superman and kryptonite)?

20. Zollo

Zollo New Member

Congrats on the game release. I love how the demo ended and left me wanting more.
    I agree about making sure that science and girls type treatment should be similar. I couldn't have said it better then the way papillon did. I did think the skirts were a bit short but the cute dialogue distracted me from that and I was able to enjoy the game and respect the characters.