(Schmup in Dev.) FUSION: Project Razor

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Blindminds, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Blindminds

Blindminds New Member

I have been working on this for about 3 months now getting the game mechanics down and trying to get a finished Proof of Concept/Promo Level developed. I am to a point where I need to start thinking about starting a Kickstarter campaign to get funds to continue development full time. To determine the legitimacy of this, I trying to see if anyone is even interested in what I am developing. Below there is a link to a quick YouTube video I did recording some play testing I was doing. It's not great as I am still pretty early in development and I just quickly threw a random spawn together for testing purposes.

The game is based on the old school side-scroll space shooter. If able I would like to have different ships, but as of now I may only be able to do the one. It has four slots for weapons systems on the ship and I would like to have a large variety of weapon systems to purchase and equip depending on player preference for the level they are playing. You ship, powered by a Fusion Reactor, runs on Thrust from the reactor. Game mechanics are loosley based on real world numbers including Reactor production of power, mass consumption for thrust along with energy and mass consumptionfor weapons/ammo. As enemies are destroyed, they will drop mass particles which the player can collect via the ships "Mass Condenser", however all other systems are shut down in order to utilize the mass condenser (No thrust or weapons firing). Physics is loosely based on real-world physics in space. Each weapon ill have 3 modes of fire dynamically switchable in game. Some weapon systems such as homing missiles, will switch between some variations of targeting solutions (Weakest Enemis, Closest Enemies Etc) or actual firing modes (Fire one Missile or Fire all Missiles). You must also make sure you collect enough mass to not just maintain fuel for thrust but also mass for Plasma shots, Missiles etc. Equipped with a Rapid Fabricator, your ship is able to re-produce ammo such as missiles and bombs by fabricating them (3D Printing) with varying build speeds. If possible I would also like to include various types of gameplay depending on level, such Top-down, Auto-scrolling, Free-scrolling (Follows Player) and Free-scrolling while allowing player to rotate ship in limited rotation to fire towards background (think side-scroll version of 6DOF without the 6DOF lol).

There are also 3 "G-Burst" modes which allow the player to perform fast High-G Maneuvers (Based on actual human G tolerances). Burst: which is a steady burst at constant G's depending on Pilots (Multiple Pilots Choosable) G-Tolerance. G-Burst: which is a burst accelerating G's until hitting Max G's and then decelerating at slowest rate tolerable without passing out. Max G-Burst: Accelerating at nearly 200 G's per second (Accelerating at highest G acceleration possible) for approximately .1 sec (Longest tolerable) an then accelerating at fastest rate possible for human tolerance. Max G-Stop Burst: Same as Max G-Burst, but when released ship calculates max G-burst in opposite direction to immediately stop ship in its tacks (Well, as fast as possible). Althouh I have based the game mechanics on real world physics and numbers I am using them as a start and reference for realistic feel of movement. Mechanics will be modified as necessary to maintain highest level of enjoyable gameplay.

Remmber, this is super early dev so graphics are cheesey place holders as I have spent most of the 3 months figuring out the movement mechanics/mathematics and the weapons systems charging/firing/mass fabrication/mathematics and the DevHUD for debugging purposes.

I would love to hear your thoughts and to know if anyone or how many are interested in the concepts I am developing.

2. Blindminds

Blindminds New Member

Working on background and level elements.

3. Blindminds

Blindminds New Member

Spent some time working on very simple camera mechanics for a start and will need to tweak for final game. Created a very simple procedural script for spawning rings at random height offsets within limits and spacing rings according to estimated player speed at given distance. Added a timer and information on Player HUD to display current relative velocity (Relative to start velocity, which is approximately 7,600 meters/second at an orbit of 400km above the earth) and Current G-Load as well as G acceleration Rate (When Boosting). I was developing this as a means for testing gameplay mechanics and making adjustments, but I think I very well may end developing this into a simple demo for free download to allow players to get a feel for the movement mechanics and give feedback.

4. Blindminds

Blindminds New Member

Made a quick and dirty level experiment utilizing Epic's Infiltrator Demo Assets to see hwat could be possible in detailed level design

5. Blindminds

Blindminds New Member

Started working on Atmospheric Flight level mechanics and weapons. F16 model used as dummy until I get a change to build a futuristic Jet.

6. Blindminds

Blindminds New Member

Worked on a couple more Atmospheric Weapons - Cluster Bomb and Ground Missile (Which will be homing later on). Also made some tweaks to previous weapons and effects.

I don't see any comments, wondering if anyone finds this project of interest?

7. TankidiumWar

TankidiumWar New Member

Oh, I love this project, very impressive!