Sands of the Arena (beta)

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by blackj3sus, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Backov

Original Member

Fixed your post.

I haven't even looked at your game, but you should be more ashamed of your illiteracy.

2. Cartman

Indie Author

Took a look at your demo and here's my feedback.

The intro screen was painfully slow to load, and reminded me of a soap opera opening:
    "Like sands through an hour glass, so are the days of our lives."

There was no tutorial so I just started clicking things until they moved and it told me that the cards had been used up. But I couldn't figure out why I had to choose cards for the defender as well as my own. Didn't seem to be any AI.

Perhaps a few screens explaining the game would be helpful. I didn't care that the art was PD. It just looked like an amiture game made by a 15 year old to me(no offense if you're 15), but it didn't have even basic polish to it.

I also didn't like the resolve button for each pairing of cards. I wished I could hit a fight icon and then it just gave me the results one after the other.

Good luck with it.

3. blackj3sus

blackj3sus New Member

i need rupaul here to give me a pep talk :(

rupaul pep talk

thanks to the few that posted useful comments

4. vjvj

Indie Author

Yes, most games are a glorified version of RPS, where "glorified" refers to exactly what I was telling you: You need something extra to influence player decisions.

Right now you just have straight RPS, which is boring. You will know when you are have glorified it correctly when people start discussing strategies to improve their play.

If you take Starcraft and remove resources, build times, terrain types, and travel time, you have straight RPS (every unit has a counter). Boring. Add all that stuff back in, and you have "glorified RPS" i.e. a game.

5. blackj3sus

blackj3sus New Member

u obviously haven't played the version with special abilities.

one of the guys whos been playing the game has been discussing strategies for special abilities on another forum helping me tweek them.

ITS NOT STRAIGHT RPS

again thanks to the guys here who gave useful comments, i accept any criticism that i can clearly see might help my game.

#45 blackj3sus, Apr 23, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  6. Acord

Acord New Member

The gameplay is still pretty rough as mentioned above, and the graphics aren't any great shakes. I don't think I'd want to stare at them for hours.

You might want to look to other card type games for inspiration, and I'm not really talking about other CCGs. For instance, MtG began life as a modified version of turbo hearts.

7. GnadeGames

Original Member

I wouldn't classify this as a Beta.... more like a rough prototype.

You need to seriously consider spending some money on a professional website, graphics, and interface.

8. Uber Dowzen

Uber Dowzen New Member

#48 Uber Dowzen, Apr 24, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  9. blackj3sus

blackj3sus New Member

trying a different slant on the theme, going to try a pitch to spartacus blood and sand show when its fully done.
    (and all the special abilities & gladiators are done, but still some bugs i'm sure)

Sands of the Arena: Spartacus Edition

10. Nexic

Indie Author

So, stealing images from a TV series now?

11. blackj3sus

blackj3sus New Member

yea thats it.

i'm going to pitch it to starz when it's done.

if you look on their website the game they have up is a spot the difference thing. i just thought it would be cooler if you could be spartacus.

(plus my son enjoys playing as spartacus as well, it was worth doing just for that reason alone)

graphics can change if the decline, i would need to create different graphics to market

but its ok for playtesting

12. blackj3sus

blackj3sus New Member

13. Yshaana

Yshaana Guest

Congratulations I guess...

I tried your game and didn't understand anything. You should really add a tutorial and some text on the buttons.

14. blackj3sus

blackj3sus New Member

better tutorial.. check

will do