Sanctuary - A Top Down Shooter

Discussion in 'Help Wanted (UNPAID AND PROFIT SHARING)' started by JappaWakka, Jun 27, 2017.

?
  1. 2D

100.0%
  2. 3D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. JappaWakka

JappaWakka New Member

(Original Post)
    In 2006, Nate Bradley released the game Sanctuary, which was later put online for free on the old Yoyogames Sandbox website. This game was in my opinion one of the best GameMaker games from that website.

I wanted to redesign or in any case freshen up the old game for a very long time, but everytime I just didn't have the skills necessary to do the job. Anyhow, I've learned a lot from my first year on the Grafisch Lyceum (a Dutch school of Arts) including 2d animation techniques and principles, basic 3d modeling, Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, After Effects, Premiere and so on.

After a while of experimenting, drawing, modeling and everything else... I realised that the project was actually bigger than I thought.
    I didn't only want to make the game graphics a little better, I wanted to redesign the characters, the cutscenes, the surroundings, the animations, the top down graphics, the weapons, the sounds, the music, the story and even the modification of the source code... I admire Nate Bradley for doing so on his own, but I'm not capable or ready yet to do something like that on my own.

I need help from some experienced people, who can and want to support me and help shaping my idea into a diamond of a game.
    I need 2D/3D game designers (in any capable engine), because I want the game to be two-dimensional, unless there's someone experienced with 3D game development who would like to help me.
    I need storywriters, because the original story is slightly cheesy and simple, even though the core concept is quite remarkable.
    I need feedback on the arrangements of the soundtrack that I make. I'm not sure what theme or genre/style the soundtrack should have/be in and because I'm usually a songwriter of songs with lyrics, I tend to follow a "verse - chorus - verse - chorus - bridge - chorus"-scheme too much.
    I need character designers to help me create improved versions of the original characters in the best and most effective way.
    I would like to have people who could model humans with specific cartoony proportions as I can't seem to be able to create a human that would fit my art style.

I hope that somebody (once told me the world. was gonna roll me..) *er-hem* pardon me, would like to help me or give me advice as to what I should do.

Here's a conceptual image of the appartement I created in Adobe Illustrator, which kind of shows what my artstyle looks like: cartoony, simplistic and slightly cute.
    [​IMG]

Here's a rendered image of the Main Character's Appartement that I created to make drawing in perspective easier. I've also modeled the hallway and an alternative version of the appartement which has been broken into.
    [​IMG]

2. Jed Crouch

Jed Crouch New Member

3. AndrewJB

AndrewJB New Member

4. Xeno Neza

Xeno Neza New Member

how experienced are you in unity?

5. JappaWakka

JappaWakka New Member

I have no experience with unity XD

6. Xeno Neza

Xeno Neza New Member

hmm, well i have a framework for top down shooter :p

7. JappaWakka

JappaWakka New Member

That's awesome :D This game has some extra stuff though, like dodge rolls, melee attacks and a shoot 'm up minigame. Do you think you have the ability to create those things?

8. Xeno Neza

Xeno Neza New Member

maybe but i'm using unity :p

9. JappaWakka

JappaWakka New Member

I don't think that will be a problem, will it?

10. Xeno Neza

Xeno Neza New Member

not sure haven't tried but tbh do you have any programming knowledge?

11. JappaWakka

JappaWakka New Member

I have all of the original game's source files in my possession. It was made in GameMaker 6, but I've modified it to work with GameMaker 8.1 which I'm quite able to use. The only part that I would like some assistance with because it would take a lot of time would be to get all the coding to work in a higher resolution (1080p at least) and maybe implement some extra things like customizable controls, volume control and different resolutions based on monitor size.

12. Xeno Neza

Xeno Neza New Member

ah, okay. Hmm, i don't know much about GM i have used it for other projects which are not complete and by far rarely touched :/

13. JappaWakka

JappaWakka New Member

I wrote an original song to go with the tutorial stage. Tell me what you guys think :D

14. JappaWakka

JappaWakka New Member

Ah, well... The coding is already done by Nate Bradley. I just have to create order in the extracted source project (extracting the source doesn't put the objects and sprites in folders automatically) and then it's just finding values and trial and error until it works.

15. JappaWakka

JappaWakka New Member

Update: I only have to sort the objects inside the GameMaker project. I've sorted the Sprites, Sounds/Music, Backgrounds and put some Scripts inside a couple of folders so they're easy to find. Everything is also arranged in alphabetic order (thanks Yoyogames for such a feature!).

Update 2: There are more objects than I thought XD. I think it'll take some time before I'm done.

#15 JappaWakka, Jul 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2017