royalty splits

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by lennard, Mar 8, 2011.

1. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I've been using Super Rewards as my micro-transaction system in Dungeon Brawl. They offer a sliding scale coin mechanism with Paypal - the more you buy the greater your discount. What this means is that a coin spent in my game is worth a penny, unless it has been discounted. I have no way of know if a coin has been discounted. Furthermore I am planning on occasionally giving away coins. All of this makes royalty calculations a little complicated because I don't know the value of the coins that were spent on any given game in a month.

My plan is to take all income derived for a month and divide that by all coins spent during that month across all of my (expected one day) micro-transaction games to figure out what each title earned in real dollars in that month. I can't figure out a more fair way to do this. Does anybody else have a better scheme?

2. terin

Original Member

Well...

Call me crazy but the smartest way to split it would be based on actual income. In a month if your microtrans = $100, it doesn't matter how many coins are spent or what the value per coin was, you split the $100.

Unless I am missing something :)

If the problem is having multiple products, I see the solution as either this system adds a breakdown / report of where money was purchased or you set up a new account for each product with different royalty figures.

3. lennard

Multiple products and users get to share coins across products.

4. terin

Original Member

But for flash games the purchase occurs inside the game, right? Whoever's game generates the sale is who deserves credit. That's my 2 cents :)

5. lennard

Of course.

The problem is that a sale has variable value because of how the coins are priced and there is no way to determine how much a coin spent on the game was worth.

6. andrew

andrew New Member

You could use Playtomic, Mixpanel, Kontagent, or some 3rd party metrics tool to track the events... in the worst case just send the number of coins purchased along with a game ID and tally up the events per month manually.

(Btw, did you know there's a giant red SecureSWF splash cluttering up your game UI at the moment?)

- andrew

7. lennard

Tracking the coin spend isn't an issue - it comes down to not knowing which coins were obtained for how much $. I'm guessing from the conversation that nobody is going to have a better solution than to just tally the previous months bag of money and break it apart by percentage of coin spend on each game.

You don't like my big red water mark??? I've been waiting to see if there were any bugs with secureSWF or if anybody was going to suggest a better tool before buying it. Need to make up my mind in the next week or so because I expect to be feature complete soon and starting to do some more promotion and a submission to FGL will be in order soon thereafter.