Royalty Free Tracks at Melin Music

Discussion in 'Music & Sound Portfolios' started by Melin, May 16, 2006.

1. Melin

Original Member

Artist : Melin Music
    Site : Melin Music

It's finally here! Royalty Free Tracks at Melin Music!

After having recieved lots of emails saying I should have stock music on my site, I finally took the time to set it up. For everyone that couldn't afford music made by Melin Music, now you can! The tracks will be sold for as little as $20/minute or even less.

There are tracks availiable in mp3, ogg and even XM. All previews are in mp3-format.

And as if that was not all:
    Every track has a set of matching jingles (win/lose) availiable for only $4.99 USD, so that you can get a more complete package even when buying stock music.

Have a look, you are likely to find something you'll like:
    Melin Music

There will be new songs added almost every week, so don't forget to check in regularly.

Sincerely,
    Staffan Melin
    Melin Music

2. lakibuk

Indie Author

Very nice. Are the songs available in different formats? Like the .ogg songs are also available as .XM?
    It would be interesting how big the songs are in KB/MB.
    Don't understand what the additional jingles are.

3. Melin

Original Member

The Oggs/Mp3s do not come in XM unfortunately. mp3s can easily be converted to ogg though and vice versa.

The jingles are basically longer sound effects, 2-4 seconds each, one with a winning theme and one with a losing theme, that matches the style of the track.

Maybe I should put the filesize up there. Mp3s and oggs are encoded in 196kbps, but they can easily be converted to lower bitrates to save space.

Thanks for the comments!

Staffan Melin
    Melin Music

4. dxgame

Original Member

Mod files please! ;)

5. Melin

Original Member

I assume you're actually talking about 4 channel .mod, since there are quite a few .xm's there already.

I will consider composing a few songs in .mod, we'll see what happens.

6. Davaris

Original Member

Excuse my ignorance, but can you give me the name of a small freeware program I can use to play XM files? I've never heard of them before and media player won't play them.

P.S.
    I really like your music. I can play it over and over and it doesn't get annoying. :)

#6 Davaris, May 17, 2006
    Last edited: May 17, 2006
  7. lexaloffle

Indie Author

Milky Tracker is a whole tracker, but it's pretty small (930k) and has a .zip distribution:
    http://www.milkytracker.net

Click 'Load' to open an .xm, press enter to play, escape to stop, and alt-f4 to quit.

8. whisperstorm

Original Member

Very impressive! Your work is very professional!

9. Davaris

Original Member

Your tracks are too good... Can't resist... Must buy Websong 7... Hope you accept Pay Pal... :)

10. Melin

Original Member

hey!

Thanks for all replies.

To play xm's, the best program is a tiny one called XMPlay, found at
    Un4seen

Also, remember all previews are in mp3-format!

EDIT: also, PayPal is perfectly fine as payment method. Go ahead and buy it. =)

Staffan Melin
    Melin Music

11. Melin

Original Member

I also forgot to mention one more thing.

To celebrate the launch, the first 5 persons to buy songs will recieve the jingles for free, saving $4.99 per song!

Just include your email in the payment information and I'll send the jinglepacks.

Good luck,
    Staffan Melin
    Melin Music

12. Melin

Original Member

Websong 4 and 5 were way too similar, so websong 4 has now be exchanged with a new song, a very emtional synth piece.

The preview is here:
    Preview

The song is 1:45 and will be sold for $29.99!

Staffan Melin
    Melin Music

13. Melin

Original Member

Per request, I'm adding 1-minute songs.

First one is up already:
    Preview

Relaxing and calm music, with beautiful melodies.

The price is only $14.99!

I encourage everyone that do not find what they're looking for to make requests to info@melinmusic.com

EDIT: the buy 3 songs - get 15% off scheme is now working too!

Thank you
    Staffan Melin
    Melin Music

#13 Melin, May 20, 2006
    Last edited: May 20, 2006
  14. Melin

Original Member

Bumped again for two reasons.

1. New 1-minute track added, a chinese tune.
    http://www.melinmusic.com/webpreviews/web_preview11.mp3

2. I've gotten loads of downloads on the previews, and I really mean loads. But the sales have been moderate.
    I'd like to know from people who download or listen to the previews, is the music good enough? Maybe everyone is just "checking the music out" to see if it's any good, to see if it's worth using in the future?
    Or does it suck, which means people listen, say "eeew" and avoid buying the tracks?

Some more feedback would be appreciated. Also, check out those new tracks.
    More to come.

Staffan Melin
    Melin Music

15. NO9

NO9
    Original Member

I've only checked.

16. Melin

Original Member

Another track added:

Websong 12

Groovy tune with synths and pads for only $24.99!

Btw, no one has used the request song feature, which is weird. Go on and use it if you don't find suitable music for your game on the site already.

Thanks,
    Staffan Melin
    www.melinmusic.com

17. Melin

Original Member

ok bumped for three reasons:

1. I know I haven't updated the royalty free section much this summer, but it's because I've been extremely busy working on full soundtracks for games. There will be a new update within the next two weeks though, hopefully with a bunch of new songs.

2. During May, I had about 700 downloads on the webpreviews, in June about 600 and so far in July about 350. Still, not many orders have been placed. Therefore I'd be very happy if any of you who downloaded and listened to the previews would give some feedback on them. I really want to know what can be improved for the next bunch of songs, to generate some sales.

3. to shamelessly bump it up to page 1? :eek:

Thanks,
    Staffan Melin
    www.melinmusic.com/music.htm

18. Cyruz

Cyruz New Member

They sound like they need to be normalized; the EQ of the songs are too flat.

I don't know what type of game you are marketing these songs to, but if it was RPGs I don't think they'd do very well as they are somewhat generic and repetitive sounding. >.>

Song 12 is the only one that made me think of RPGs at all...though even it got repetitive after awhile...maybe it's just the demo songs though, as I haven't heard the rest.

Anyway, not bad. Better than I could do atleast. I don't know much about making music on a computer...the most I've done is a bit of screwing around with Garageband on my mac and putting a bunch of loops together to make a song. If you want you can check my mostly crappy songs out here.

19. Melin

Original Member

thanks for your input. None of the songs are composed to fit an RPG, as most developers here do not develop RPG's at all.

Secondly, of course the previews are repetitive, they're only like 25 seconds long =) The full versions are obviously much more varied with more themes and submelodies.

As for the normalization comment. I don't see how normalization would help a flat EQ? EQ is used to tweak an instruments (or mix's) frequencies, while normalization is used to boost the track's overall volume. They're two entirely different things.
    I'd appreciate an explanation of what you mean, maybe in a PM though, to not clutter the thread.

Again, thanks for your input

EDIT:
    1. I really want to make it clear the Web Previews on the site are just that - previews. They're only 20-30 seconds, usually featuring the main theme of the song. The full versions always include more themes and melodies.

2. I really would appreciate a PM about the EQ comment. In my 10 years of audio production (5 of which have been on a professional level), I have never heard someone say a song sounded like it had too flat an EQ, and that it could be helped by normalization. Maybe you mean they need more bass? Or that they're muddy in the midrange? Or too much dist maybe? Or what?
    Or did you simply mean volume issues? Because all tracks are normalized (which means they're brought up to a certain dB level, to bost the overall volume as much as possible, usually slightly below 0 dB).

#19 Melin, Jul 26, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2006
  20. Cyruz

Cyruz New Member

I don't have much experience at all with it, so I didn't really know exactly what normalization did. All I knew was that it usually made audio sound clearer and less unbalanced to me. It was probably just because the different tracks I worked with were way off from the start.

To me the songs sounded a bit quiet compared to how loud things usually are on my computer at that volume. They also sounded a little bit muddy. Could've just been my speakers though; at the moment I have no proper speakers set up, so the sound was coming out of onboard speakers. >.>