Rombo, 3D first person action Flash game

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Bad Sector, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Bad Sector

Original Member

I tried bilinear filtering on scaling but it looks bad.

I won't keep this for Rombo, its for another project that *might* use higher resolution textures which in the previous resolution won't look as good. Of course i need to make sure i can use higher resolution textures first.

However to clearly see the difference you need to go to the second level which has more open areas. In the /hq version its easier to see things far away :).

2. GaiaDreamCreation

Indie Author

I gave it a tried again. I reached the second level like the first time and did not crash. It think it crash when I tried to kill a bat. This is probably a precise scenario related to combat. The game is nice, but I find the level a little bit confusing. May be it lack of challenges. Probably you should add more challenge.

By the way. What library did you use to make the game in 3D? Did you use a framework or just wrote your own 3D functions?

3. Bad Sector

Original Member

No i wrote my own reusable rendering engine (ex1, ex2)
    :D

4. berserker

Indie Author

Your games hang my browser (Firefox 3.0.8) awfully.

5. Bad Sector

Original Member

Can you please post your full system specs? I have the same browser (Firefox 1.0.8) with Flash 10 (WIN 10,0,22,87 Debug version - you can see yours here) and the games play fine.

6. tolik

Original Member

Are you planning to fix controls for people who actually play FPS games?

7. berserker

Indie Author

Flash: 10,0,2,54 Debug
    CPU: Phenom X4 9650, 8 GB of RAM, Video GTX280 1GB

8. whisperstorm

Original Member

You could probably make some $ selling your 3d engine as well. or licensing it.

9. Bad Sector

Original Member

@whisperstorm:
    Actually i've got two offers for that, but i want to fix some issues before i mention the availability in the site.

@tolik,fast1:
    I play FPS games a lot and i find the controls just fine. If you have a better setup in mind that works with Flash in both windowed and fullscreen mode and uses analog input so you can have precise aim without the feel of using a NES gamepad in your PC, then tell me please.

@berserker:
    Hm, your machine isn't much different than mine but i have a newer version of Flash. Thanks, i'll download this version of Flash player from Adobe. I don't have 64bit vista though, but i think there isn't a 64bit version of Flash anyway.

10. tolik

Original Member

This is in no way a default control for FPS game.

For "casual" full-screen mouse only controls you could live with just a mouse for walking when you hold a button and a single click to shoot.

For hardcore player it is WASD+E/SPACE+mouse.

You are currently mixing both making it as ugly as it gets.

11. Bad Sector

Original Member

How would you implement the second setup?

12. andrew

andrew New Member

Mouse-look is tricky since you can't lock the window in Flash, but maybe this:

- WASD is mapped to forward/back/strafe left+right (like Quake)
    - Map the mouse X axis to rotation, but only on the outer 100 pixels or so, with the rest being a dead zone

That way you could have a pseudo-mouse look for rotation, dead zone in the middle for shooting, and keyboard movement like every other FPS. Rotation should continue as long as the mouse is near the edge of the screen (perhaps with a proportional scaling to make it rotate faster as you get closer to the edge)

- andrew

13. Bad Sector

Original Member

I think Cyclones had a similar setup and i remember it being totally uncontrollable. On the other hand this has only a single axis to control, so i might try it.

Not for Rombo though. The controls are good, working and nobody (except Tolik) said they are bad.

14. NO9

NO9
    Original Member

Agree with sfx, but disagree with the music. It's cheesy but fun actually :D

game is quite amusing, but green characters are to high-res (could you decrease it to 4 pixels per person? ;). And no fullscreen? :(

15. Bad Sector

Original Member

While writing in this thread over here, i realized that there is not a real reason to not have a downloadable version of an ad-supported game and some people might actually prefer it this way (especially if the game can still be played when the net is down, etc).

Then i did a couple of tests and Rombo seems to play just fine from local space and as an embedded SWF. So i wrote a very small wrapper (~7K) that wraps itself around a SWF file with some configuration for a window, title, size, etc and loads it using the Flash ActiveX object. Rombo worked fine in this environment (with ads, etc). So the next step was to make a simple installer. NSIS to the rescue and after working on it for a while, i've got this very simple and very small (about 235KB) installer that installs Rombo as a standalone game. Still ad-supported with MochiAds working:

Grab the RomboSetup.exe file from here

Now if i could figure out a method to poll and set the mouse position from there, i could add proper mouse looking. And a proper exit function :p.

EDIT: for anyone interested, i added the wrapper in GitHub with a binary release in my page.

#35 Bad Sector, Sep 3, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2009