Rombo, 3D first person action Flash game

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Bad Sector, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Bad Sector

Original Member

Due to the ultra disappointing offers from FlashGameLicense and since this kind of game doesn't seem to be what sponsors want, i removed the game from FGL and i decided to upload it in my own site :). So here comes my latest game release (my last one was some years ago):

http://www.runtimeterror.com/play/rombo/

Screenshot
    Crappy youtube video
    Can you find this? :D

There are some issues to be expected and i plan to add extra levels at some point as "addons" (playable from my server of course) or even add the ability to save levels on the server so people can make their own, although this requires some modifications to both the editor and the engine (but its a nice idea :p).

Anyway. Comments? :)

2. princec

Indie Author

Haha, you've even got your own dopefish :)
    Shame there's no sound effects, just that awful cheesy music!
    Nevertheless I'm surprised you couldn't get sponsorship for it.

Cas :)

3. andrew

andrew New Member

Interesting. I like the raycast engine :)

Was a bit confused that I couldn't pick things up at first (evidently b/c I was full of health and mana?).

I wasn't sure what the treasure was for? Just points? And what are those icons at the bottom? Kills?

It could benefit from:

- Auto-pickup of items if you just run over them (the clicking gets very tedious)

- Some sort of character progression -- more than one spell to cast, character levels, something? Shooting the same bolt over and over again at similar-looking enemies got a bit boring after a while.

- In-game tutorial / menu / something other than just dumping you immediately into the first level

- A mini-map

I think there is potential, it has interesting enough level construction, but the gameplay itself could use a bit more depth. If you don't feel like doing any more work on it, you could just upload to Kongregate / Newgrounds to get some "real-world" plays. (If you did do that, you probably want to insert a back-link to your site and a menu)

- andrew

4. MFS

MFS New Member

Pretty nice! Ran very well and its a nice throwback to the old Wolfenstein times. One thing: could you add mouse rotate and use the arrow keys to strafe? I was constantly trying to strafe and just turning in circles -- habitual I suppose.

Very solid, good job :D

5. bard

Original Member

Agreed on the arrow key strafing/mouse look bit. I constantly found myself doing that, and moving, backing up, adjusting, backing up, etc. to face enemies became tedious. Otherwise, it's a nice bit of nostalgic fun. :)

6. Bad Sector

Original Member

@andrew:
    I'll do that (and probably stick some Mochi in there as well :D), but not right now. I mentioned it in a couple of forums so i can get some plays to find bugs, get suggestions, etc :).

The next thing i'll probably do is to add auto-pick up. Everyone suggests this :p.

Note btw that there are instructions below on how to play the game :).

(although i'll add them in-game once i add the menu)

I'm not planning to add more powerups etc on the game though, at least not now. I already spent a /lot/ of time on it and i want some break. The bad FGL performance didn't helped my mood either :).

I would LOVE to do that. Unfortunately due to security reasons (as usual), Flash doesn't allow you to lock the mouse, which is required to implement proper mouse look and strafing. The current scheme is the next best thing i could come up with that still uses the mouse (since analog input is >= to pure digital that a keyboard-only setup would have).

7. Uhfgood

Original Member

#7 Uhfgood, Apr 4, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  8. Bad Sector

Original Member

Hey Uhfgood, thanks for the review :). One small note: you don't have to kill all the monsters to go to the next level (but you can increase your score this way) and space is used as a strafe key modifier (instead of Q/E you can use Space+A/D or Space+Left/Right - the last one is the only strafing you can do when you're in fullscreen mode because of Flash's security limitations).

9. urbansquall

Original Member

Certainly an impressive technical achievement. I am surprised too that you couldn't find a sponsor. In any case, I enjoyed playing the game. :)

10. Bad Sector

Original Member

Um, i did found a sponsor (three actually), but the best offer was $500, which is way too low for a project i spent months on it. For Dungeon Knight (the other game i made - soon to be uploaded in runtimeterror), this would be a nice price and in fact i got one close to that, but i was never paid :).

11. lexaloffle

Indie Author

Nice. I feel like digging up my old ray-casting code now. I'm curious -- did you use flash services for rendering scaled wall/floor strips, or did you do it at the pixel level?

It's too bad about the cursor locking limitation. How about turning according to mouse_x, with a large neutral zone in the middle?

12. Bad Sector

Original Member

I've seen that in some java 3D demo and i found it uncontrollable. I think the current setup is ok - you do the crude controlling with the keys and "precisify" your aim with the mouse.

Everything is done at pixel level, including sprite drawing. I just grab a framebuffer and plot pixels :p

13. Uhfgood

Original Member

Review has been fixed, BadSector

14. tolik

Original Member

How could you combine two control schemes in such a nasty and awkward manner yet don't give the player any clues on start-up.

It has the highest possibly entry barrier... Weird combined mouse & keyboard controls, yet you can't fully play with ONLY a keyboard or JUST a mouse. Any assumptions of standard controls from DOOM or Quake are not relevant here.

So many small weird things - the first room that doesn't give any clues on how to exit it (space doesn't work), those items in that room that cant be taken as player is already full of them... So weird.

15. Maupin

Original Member

Couldn't figure out how to pick up items, and somewhere in my attempts I right-clicked. (I know right-clicking always brings up the context menu in Flash, but I tried it anyway.)

That caused Firefox to hang with the context window open. And my mouse pointer suddenly became invisible when I moved it over any portion of Firefox, so I was unable to interact with the game or Firefox. The mouse pointer was only visible when over my desktop. I had to CTRL-ALT-DEL and teminate Firefox's process.

16. Uhfgood

Original Member

Maupin, I noticed the same thing, I think I actually mentioned it in the review. It doesn't seem to lock up anything other than firefox though, and it can be easily shut down with task manager (it doesn't even hang up when trying to shut it down).

Not that this excuses it, but maybe if it's not a serious hang-up bug it will be easier to figure out what's causing the problem than otherwise

17. Bad Sector

Original Member

Hm, i'll probably need to put ingame instructions since nobody seems to notice the scrollbar and the instructions below :p.

@Maupin:
    I haven't noticed this issue until you and Uhfgood mentioned it (probably because most of my testing is done using the standalone player). It happens here too. I'll see what it is causing it (or try to find a workaround).

18. GaiaDreamCreation

Indie Author

Nice game. It remembers me the good old games. I reached the second level and I got the following error. It froze completely.

TypeError: Error #1009: Cannot access a property or method of a null object reference.
    at _ts2xt_$/_ms78m_()
    at _ts2xt_$/render()
    at _ts2xt_$/_fs7zf_()
    at _ts2xt_$/_ys87y_()

19. Bad Sector

Original Member

Can you please test this version? It uses single pixels instead of double pixels (double resolution) so it'll be slower, but i wonder if its still playable for all (note: this is a testing version, the overlay is broken).

@GaiaDreamCreation:
    Can you please check the above version? I cannot reproduce the problem, but i tinkered with the function it mentions a bit so it might not happen.

20. JGOware

Indie Author

I ran both versions, new version (higher res?) ran slower but still playable. And I'm running on somewhat legacy hardware. But what confused me was the actual 3d world looked identical to the previous one. I had to go back and forth between the 2 because I assumed the objects, world, etc, would be higher res as well. However, I wonder if the low res version (which runs liquid smooth) with smoothing built in would be the better route to go? Assuming you could pull it off?