Roll Call

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by helmet275, Mar 1, 2004.

1. mrhollow

Original Member

Name: Aaron Hachez

Background: I've been programming for 8 years, and have been a systems administrator for 5. My goal has been to make games for profit, and I'm nearing that stage.

I've developed one game which has been released as Freeware, and am working on another that will be shareware.

I'm a linux/unix proponent and user through and through, and do all development on linux computers.

2. Surrealix

Indie Author

Name : Philip Buchanan
    Company : Surrealix

Started programming at age 11, in VB4, and taught myself DirectX, C++, and game development in general. I studied Computer Engineering at University, wrote financial software for a while, and then left to pursue games.

I was the project manager, designer, and one of the developers for Doc Clock, an upcoming WiiWare title. And now I'm back at university, studying towards a PhD :eek:

I also do freelance art, and occasional web design.

#102 Surrealix, Jan 19, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  3. AndyN

Original Member

Name : Andrew Nye
    Company : Melted Games
    Occupation : Freelance multimedia developer (and now lead programmer of Melted Games :) )

Profile: Born 1976, not dead yet. Starting programming games in 1985. Finished one in 2005.

Okay, that's not strictly true - I have finished a couple of games in twenty years but nothing I'd want mentioned in my biography.

I teamed up with a couple of very talented 3D artists in 2004, who also had a great game design idea in mind. 6 months and much wailing and gnashing of teeth later we have our first full game. It's a 3D driving combat game for Windows that goes by the name of Autofrag: SUMO and thankfully it's been pretty well received so far :)

We're working in shockwave 3D and Havok at the moment but I'm planning to graduate to TGE for the sequel.

4. Abscissa

Original Member

Name : Nick Sabalausky (Sometimes go by "Nitrode" online, sometimes "Abscissa")
    Company : Twisted Pair Gaming (formerly Abscissa Software)

Born 1981, so by the time I was old enough to really notice the 80's they were over. Shit! ;)

Started programming on an Apple IIc at about 7 (give or take). Made my first complete game at 16. It was an Arkanoid clone called HyperBall, later made a slightly updated version called Zarkanoid ('cause there's about a million other games called HyperBall). It was on a few of the "billion games on one disc" collections, back when those were still aound. Made a Centepede clone called Mechapede a couple years later (which has music from a friend of mine's electronic group ShadeFix. They're actually pretty good if you like electronica, although the Mechapede tracks aren't their best stuff. Check them out on ACIDPlanet and iTunes). Both games were done under the name Abscissa Software.

I'm currently changing the name to Twisted Pair Gaming, since Abscissa is too hard for many people to spell and pronounce. I'm planning to re-write Mechapede and Zarkanoid in D (the existing code is awful), fix a bunch of stuff that's been *really* bothering me for quite some time, and re-release them as Deluxe versions together with the launch of the new website.

I've also been doing some homebrew GBA stuff: GBAForVS6, My Robot

#104 Abscissa, Jan 23, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2005
  5. TMAN

Original Member

Name: Tobias N. Nteireho
    Company: TBA
    Location: School in Philadelphia, but home is Fairfax, VA (aka D.C.)

Been programming since I was 11, but developing games is pretty much all I've envisioned myself doing since I got an original NES when I was 3 or 4. I'm determined to launch a business and sell some games this summer, but I'm sure I'll get wonderfully sidetracked.... These forums been pretty helpful to me even though I'm not done.

6. Hiro_Antagonist

Original Member

Name: Scott Lantz
    Alias: Hiro_Antagonist
    Company: Tiny Hero Game Studios

Working on my first game, Land of Legends. I think it's swell, and I hope you do to.

-Hiro_Antagonist

7. ZuluBoy

Indie Author

Name: Sila Kayo
    Occupation: full-time Research Engineer for Nokia ( working on 3D/2D APIs like OpenGL ES, OpenVG ), part-time indie developer.

I was born in 1978 in Yaounde, Cameroon ( Central Africa ).
    Wrote my first program/game in 1994 on a Casio fx7900 that my brother gave me as present.

Spent 6 years studying computer science in St-Petersburg, Russia.
    During that time I developed games like: SuperTown ( it was later abondoned ), and KatDoom ( Published by Micro Java Network ).

I'm currently developing a Symbian/Pocket PC game that I hope will be a hit :D .

8. DavidL

Original Member

Name: David Ludwig
    Company: Funkitron
    URL: http://www.funkitron.com

Hallo!

I've been co-authoring/coding indie games since the summer of 2004. Before then, I spent a year debugging device drivers for telecommunications boards. Further back in time, I was a Computer Science student at Worcester Polytechnic Institute (WPI), which I graduated from in 2002.

My professional interests are primarily in game engine design, however I do enjoy design in terms of general gameplay and user interface. I am also a big proponent of open source tools and libraries.

When I'm not working on code, I enjoy hanging out with friends, playing video games, and drinking beer. :D

9. Joneda

Original Member

Name : Jonathan Ho, Edwin Kong, Darren Kong

We're currently working on our easy to play set of card game. Hope it will be a hit! :D

10. Sega Ages

Original Member

Hi... I'm inspired by developers like Jeff Minter who started on the VIC-20 and are still "keeping it real" in the corporate world of this dystopian 21st century. ;) I have an avid interest in game design, applying classic gaming concepts to modern projects, and I'm a fan of all kinds of abstract and niche genre games from around the world (Japan, NA, EU). Hoping to try focusing some of my energies into producing small projects that can be played and enjoyed by a modest underground/niche audience... working on my first release...

11. Alex

Original Member

Name: Alex Parker
    Company: Web Synergy
    URL: TBA

First started in business as a web designer, then realised how boring and simple that is. I've always had an interest in programming games, been programming in one way or another since I was about 6, made my first real "game" (text adventure) when I was 11, on an Amstrad CPC. So by now, I should know it all right? Well, the trouble with adolescence and rave parties... well, thats another story. Lets just say I spent about the last 2-3 years catching up on everything thats happened since Turbo Pascal and linear C was all the go.

Ideally I would like to throw of the shackles of drudgery and be one of those (if they exist) rich indie game developers. My second goal would be to work for some other successful game developer, using my own projects as examples of my 1337 skills. Other than that, I suppose I will take on an electrical apprenticeship or something, Australian programmers don't get paid much. Maybe I'll move to india (they get even less pay, but theres lots of jobs)!

12. Battleline

Original Member

Name: Rick Battagline
    URL: www.epochstar.com

Background: I actually develop mortgage software as my full time gig. Current project is Epoch Star, a Space Adventure / Space RPG. I aspire to do this full time, but I have to finish a game first... so it may be a while.

13. aiosup

Original Member

The roll call continues...

Name: Alexandru Iosup
    Company: Suntstic Software
    URL: http://www.suntasticsoftware.com

Background:
    It's my third year as an indie, but never went full-time. Last year I and a couple good friends decided to start an indie game company, mostly for the fun of it. We currently focus on fast-paced turn based strategy games (yes, a bit of a contradiction here), suited for 1 player/family. Our first game is Leaderz, and we have another one in development. We are full of (hopefully great) ideas, and basicly stubborn as mules into turning them into games. To summarize, I am enjoying very much doing this, and our company is doing every possible startup mistake (mostly my fault(s)), from which we hope to learn faster than we go bankrupt...

14. etali

Original Member

Name: Lesley Harrison
    Company: err... Myth Games? (lol)
    URL: http://www.myth-games.com

Background:

Ex sysadmin / database person, now at uni trying to actually do something they've wanted to for years. Hoping one day to be an AI programmer for games.

15. Matt Parry

Original Member

Name: Matt Parry
    Company: Grubby Games
    URL: http://www.grubbygames.com

Background: I've been a lifelong gamer and hobbyist artist and only recently (3 years ago) realized how much fun stuff you can do with today's 3D software, so I jumped right in - currently using Lightwave. A friend from university (Ryan Clark) and I recently teamed up and decided to stop talking about making games, and just start making 'em! Our first game should be completed in a month or so, we hope... :)

16. AtmaVegeta

Original Member

Name: Dustin Oliver
    Company: In-Geek Productions
    URL: Under Construction

Background:
    I was a student at the University of Bradford, studying Interactive Systems and Video Games design. Did that for year and a half then decieded to go back to States and do Computer Science instead (cheaper).

Earlier this year I thought to myself, why not have a hand at making Indie Games? Even if I don't make much it will look very good on my Resume!

I've had some experience with: VB, C, C++, Lingo, JavaScript, DirectX

While I'm not expert at these, just having a bit of all, I wish to learn them much more. (Most Experience with Lingo/JavaScript currently)

And ready for the future!! Hopefully good things will come! Money or not! :)

#116 AtmaVegeta, Apr 22, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2005
  17. destron

Original Member

about ME

#117 destron, Apr 25, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2008
  18. Carolyn Ann

Original Member

Name: Carolyn Ann
    Company: Not sure yet
    No URL, either

Background:
    I've been in technology for over 20 years. I decided to go into furniture making a few years ago, and I frankly prefer it to the late nights and stress of a Wall St job. Did some pretty interesting and cool stuff while on Wall St, but it's all ancient history now.
    I'm developing the game I want to play as I can't buy it anywhere.
    My interests are (in no particular order): fashion, Formula 1 Racing, NASCAR, my ever-suffering spouse, my cats, furniture making, art & sculpture, music (classical, rock & punk with the occasional bit of jazz for good measure). I also enjoy mountain climbing and caving, kayaking and so on; I've not had much chance to do those activities lately. I also like my house, but I don't like the bills that come with an old Victorian.

I'm looking forward to some interesting interactions and learning quite a lot from the people on this board. You all seem to be quite talented!

Carolyn Ann

19. appleTRON

Original Member

(Finally! A lurker no longer!)

Name: Noah Appleton
    Alias: appleTRON

I'm what you call a fresh-faced newbie. I have never developed a game in my life. What I do do however, is edit music, fx & dialogue for film and TV. As a musician and life-long game player/connoisseur, I look to independent development as a way to hold on to art and innovation as games go to the future. I am here to collaborate on ideas and start working on my first titles -- oh, and to share my knowledge with the rest of the community.

20. sparkyboy

Original Member

Well seeing as I've moved up from junior to a proper tool err i mean member here goes. :p

Name: Mark Seymour
    Alias: Sparkyboy

Right where do I start.....OK got it.

Born in 1967,left school at 16 with 5 O'levels in Maths,English Literature,Biology,physics and chemistry.

First computer I had was a 48K rubber keyed ZX Spectrum,on which I produced a few adventure games using a tool called PAW(professional Adventure writer)

Moved onto Commodore 64 and produced a few titles using SEUCK (shoot'em up construction kit) one of which got released in Germany and UK.

Then ST and AMIGA which is when I started programming in BASIC,using STOS and AMOS and SEUCK.Released a logic puzzle game for AMIGA in '93 through F1 Licenceware in UK.

After that learned enough 'C' to produce 2 DOS games between '96 and '98 which I released as Shareware.

Didn't really touch a computer for the next 6 years or so.After a major works accident in November 2001,have been on the 'sick' and have not yet decided what i'm going to do in the future.

Just recently started to get back into programming,and even though i'm no programming expert,maybe this is something I may have to do and try and make a go of it.

All I know is that this site has provided me with insight,confidence and knowledge of things which are invaluable to me,and I hope to be able to impart my own input whenever possible.

Thankyou all.

All the best

Mark.