Roll ads for Java based game applications??

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by arcarocket, Dec 1, 2008.

1. arcarocket

arcarocket New Member

We are developing a game on Java for PC/MAC. Then also offering via Java based Mobile platforms and looking into embedding in web site.

My question is Flash has a lot of advertising opportunities like companies that specialize in pre-roll, post-roll etc. Are there any companies of offer these services for Java based game? We are looking to make it a Free game and premium paid game options, but want some sort of ads to go along with the free game to get some revenue from it.

I've looked all over the web and I can't see to find any companies that seem to work with Java based advertising? Is it available?!?

2. AlexWeldon

AlexWeldon New Member

The reason the whole ad thing exists for Flash is because it's very easy to make very crappy games in Flash... if you plot revenue vs. quality for an advertising model, it shoots up quite quickly at first, but then levels out very quickly too, such that you end up in the red if you spent any significant time or money on the game. Charging 20$ for a downloadable on the other hand, is probably sigmoidal. If you don't make a product of at least a certain quality, you're probably going to get ~0 sales.

Thus, I'd be a little surprised if there was a Mochi-equivalent for Java-based web games, and more surprised if you could actually turn enough profit to be worth your time if there was. The choice of Java as opposed to ActionScript implies that you're doing something more elaborate than the types of games that actually get a good return on investment with the advertising route.

However, if you're interested in the idea of making higher-quality web-based games and looking for a different revenue stream than just ads, send me a PM with your email and I'll add you to my address book... I know of at least two people + myself here that would like to see that kind of movement started. It's unclear at the moment which, if any of us is going to make the first move, but success for that kind of site will require content from more than one person, and it's conceivable that there will be a place for Java games, so keeping in touch is good.

3. Aldacron

Original Member

You might want to contact Plura Processing. They don't do advertising, but they do pay to use their tech. It's a distributed computing package (think seti@home) that uses the client's idle cycles to process data. You get paid on a time-based scale for activity (something like every 15 seconds of compute time). Last I checked, their website only mentioned embedding the tech in a web page. But a Plura rep posted on the Project Darkstar forums some time ago that they are developing a solution that can be embedded in any desktop Java app.

I've never signed on with Plura, so I can't say anything about the software itself. But it's something I'm keeping in mind for the future.