Rock Solid Games released Darwin the Monkey!

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by HunterSD, Apr 18, 2007.

1. HunterSD

Indie Author

Rock Solid Games is proud to announce our latest release, Darwin the Monkey. A cute platformer set in the Inca Quest universe, guide Darwin through 30 levels of 6 different gameplay types.

Check it out at www.rocksolidgames.com. We'd love to hear what you guys think!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cheers,
    Michael Reitzenstein
    Cofounder, Rock Solid Games

2. Sharpfish

Original Member

I think it looks very nice, in fact I noticed it the other day when I visited your site by chance.

I appreciate the way you have subdued/blurred the backdrops a bit which some people don't and it's obv important with all that colour going on. Based on screen shots alone i'd say it's something to be very proud of.

Will d/l when I get chance.

3. lakibuk

Indie Author

You've got some brilliant artwork. And the gameplay is ok,too (says a hardcore player).

4. Kaos

Original Member

I was looking forward to this! It will do very well!

5. Tertsi

Indie Author

Looks incredible! I guess I have to download it even if it was just to see the art.

6. Pkonst

Original Member

Game gfx is really cute. Particle effects are great! But gameplay is pretty simple and not really challenging, as for me :) I'd like to see more enemies, but it's just me.
    I have passed all demo-levels for less then 10 minutes, do you think it's enough for demo?

7. DadTimesTwo

Original Member

I was looking forward to this one because the graphics looked great and I love platform games.

The visuals delivered on the promise of the pre-release images. :)

But the gameplay disappointed me slightly. :(

There needs to be a level restart button. I keep breaking eggs on level 9 -- which means I've failed. As far as I can see my only option is to quit the game and restart.

And there's no risk on the levels where you have to break the crates and push the fruit into the balloon. Just stay at the bottom and let the crates come to you.

I like the variety between the levels but the overall difficulty is too low.

8. Shanks

Shanks New Member

great one !

really liked the style of art and those bananas rolling
    around is also very cool !..Is there also side scrolling in further
    levels ?

9. Nexic

Indie Author

Very pretty and well polished game. But I also found the gameplay a little limiting. The monkey doesn't jump high enough which makes even getting over small gaps tricky, especially with the mouse. I would make all the game elements much smaller, leaving room for more activities. Currently each level feels a bit bland.

Overall it's a very easy game, yet still frustrating due to the small jumps.

10. kolka

Original Member

Loved the game very much. Wonderfully done. Congratulations to
    developers and i wish to do very well with your game. :)

11. HunterSD

Indie Author

Thanks for all the feedback guys! We designed Darwin as more of a family game, something that kids could play as well, so I guess maybe that's why the gameplay isn't really what you might have expected. Did anyone test it out on their kids?

Pkonst - not sure, perhaps the demo should be a bit longer. It would probably take the average player longer than 10 minutes though.

DadTimesTwo - I think that must be a bug, I'll pass it on. I know what you mean about the crates level, though we have put things like the pineapples up higher to give a bit of reward for venturing up

Shanks - Nope, no sidescrolling in this one. What you see is what you get. We are thinking of doing a sidescrolling version in the future.

Nexic - I'll pass that on.

Thanks again guys!

12. kjm

kjm New Member

The first thing you notice are the great graphics.
    It's all of a high quality and polish.
    I thought the animations and character designs were great also.
    Music and effects were great too, adding alot of atmosphere.
    Loved the loading screen, and the look and feel of the game is all high quality.

The mouse control was a bit of a nightmare. Didn't like it at all. Keyboard was much better. Lack of joystick support was disapointing though. I think you ought to consider including the option as most children in my experience, love just picking up a gamepad to play. It's theyre prefered mode of play.

Gameplay for me, was far too simplistic, but then i am pushing 40, so i'm way out of your demographic. If your aiming this at the casual / children market then i think it's ideal. I can see the graphics pulling in alot of interest as thats what really stands out for me.

Overall, a very polished great looking and sounding platform game.

Congrats to all involved.

KJM

13. zwiTTeR

Original Member

Game very fun.

Good graphs, very fun and with much color but some animations are very robotic :-( . I like the variety of the levels. Very good work.

Excellent game!

14. Dyno Kid

Indie Author

The length of the demo is just about right, ie you cant go any further than the 1st boss.

The coin catching levels are a nice extra but look a bit bland, maybe mix it up with some bombs that fall with the coins and maybe a monkey gun to shoot the coins......something extra would be good on these levels.

Graphics and music are amazing, tbh thats why i downloaded the demo after seeing the screen shots i just had to play it, no bad thing there.

Gameplay i was a little disapointed in as it got a little repetative and thought the mouse control was a little loose, its hard to get the mouse control just right and a brave effort has been made.

30 levels might not warrent me buying it as flicking through the screen shots they look a little similar so maybe another 20 or so levels with different themed backdrops and new enemies would make this a must buy game.

It will do well im sure and i wish you all the best,

Darren.

15. Grey Alien

Indie Author

I must admit that when I saw some early screenshots I thought it was going ot be a scroller and have that crucial element - exploring!

It's very polished with the graphics and transistions and so on.

Not sure the story was much good, I sat reading it with my boys aged 3 and 6 and they weren't really getting it.

Anyway gameplay is smooth and the physics are cool. I completed the demo without too much trouble. It's good you have 3 different types of level: push bananas, catch bananas in the ballon, and get the egg. But ultimately it didn't feel that exciting. Plus I note that there are only 30 levels and I just finished 10 in the demo. Really you'd need 50+ with different themes to make it a viable purchase I think.

Good luck with it.

16. mooktown

Original Member

when i saw the topic title I was expecting a Wild Thornberries licensed game as there is a monkey named Darwin in that too.

I'm going to try the demo tomorrow, the graphics are too nice to resist a download. I notice the shots are 640x480 too, nice-one! :cool:

17. mooktown

Original Member

Hi Hunter,

for some reason when I start a stage darwin walks to the right hand corner continuously as the mouse pointer is stuck down there. The only way I can get the mouse pointer to move is by pressing escape to get the menu up but then if i click close the mouse disappears to the bottom right again.

looked nice though!

18. Lerc

Indie Author

There are two modes of mouse operation here. When actually playing the game the mouse pointer is used as relative moves (the pointer is repositioned during gameplay) but when the mouse pointer is visible, normal mouse movement applies.

If the mouse pointer is stuck in the corner, it would suggest the repositioning. Some software (like Synergy) or hardware (tablets maybe?) could be interfering there. Do you have anything like that? I use Synergy and have it set to use relative moves when the mouse pointer is locked to a screen and that works for me.

19. mooktown

Original Member

well I don't know why, but its working this morning...
    (btw windowsXP, fullscreen with a google sidebar)