Robokill Released

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by HunterSD, May 26, 2008.

1. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Is easy, the key is stored locally but if gets shared or in any way blacklisted, he can just block it server-side. So the game refuses to run at all, and the pirate can't do anything :D

2. Jack Norton

Indie Author

IF he stores everything in the swf, yes. If he dynamically loads data from the server through the swf through a HTTP call that needs to be autenthicated with the serial code, will be much harder (impossible maybe? don't know :rolleyes: ).

Anyway the hardest protection though was all data (including saves) on the server, I agree on that.

3. zppz

Original Member

Awesome! It's been a while since a game made my coffee get cold without me even taking one sip...

I played for quite a while, up to character level 13. I could be wrong but one thing I noticed was that when you die you seem to respawn at the closest spawn point, as in geometrically closest? I was expecting to spawn at the most recent one I'd seen. One time after a long foray through the rooms, when I died I spawned at the very first spawn point, where the 'shop' is, and this made me lose my bearings completely.

4. AlexWeldon

AlexWeldon New Member

Tricky legal issue, though. After all, you have sold a product to someone... you can't legally then take it away from them. The fact that the key got loose isn't full proof that the original purchaser pirated it... someone else could have been using their computer... or some l33t h4xx0r wrote a virus that ransacks people's hard drives looking for keys for these sorts of games and emails them back to him...

I suppose you could put something in the TOS, but it'd still be sketchy, and likely to give your company a bad image the first time you invoked it.

5. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Well just take a look on how all those MMORPG works. If you lose/give away your username/password, it's not their responsability. If a trojan steal your CC info, isn't the CC company responsability either...
    If you think about that is true...if you lose it somehow, not much they can do.
    Works for millions of customers of WOW, should work even for us small indie businesses :D

6. HunterSD

Indie Author

Piracy is part of it, but only a small part of it. Really we want to be able to offer a really high quality experience and I think we'll be able to do that much better on our on web site. Though we haven't even started to do things there yet, we're trying to fill up the site first!

7. flyaflya

flyaflya New Member

Not bad, I like shooter game.

8. mrkwang

mrkwang New Member

Good game, or even great game. Everybody said about that before, so I'd write just bad things.

- Can't do Full Screen. : My monitor can't show me all of [Robokill], maybe due to size. If so, Full Screen could solve that situation, but [Robokill] doesn't have Full Screen option.

- Can't save in the middle of the mission. : Must continue at the start of each mission. Well. Somewhat annoying.

- Why must I purchase? : Every Demo / Trial version shows 'Why you must purchase' things, but I can't find anything about that with [Robokill]. You might add explanation about that, as "More Mission / Downloadable / Full Screen / (if available) More Additional Mission in the future" ... etc.

- Flash Save Warning : When I start the game first, that warning appears. Many people might be annoyed to see such a warning, because they don't know what to do. If possible, you might use some different method to save.

Good or even great game, but could be much better, as I think.

P.S. : Please check your mailbox, from me. :) Thanks.

9. spellcaster

Original Member

Valid points.
    Regarding the Warning: I don't think there is a good way around it, but explaining what the game will do (store progress) and explaining that the pop-up will show might be a good option.

10. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Fullscreen is quite easy to implement. One of the few things I've learned from Flex/AS3 so far is how to go fullscreen when user clicks on a button or press a key :D

11. Sysiphus

Original Member

amazing. :)

some stuff

-in very dark monitors, the holes are confused(I felt a lot just for not knwoing where it started) for the darkness of overal graphics...maybe some blue energy halo inside the border...dunno. happens only with ppl like me that hate the too much backlight of standard config in tfts.

-perfomance amazing, be it flash or not. Amazing game, even if seen as non flash game.

-full screen...silly question of mine, but can it be in wide screens(mine is non wide) of low resolution, if height is like 800 only (the big bad thing of wides) , and a lot of toolbars fill the browser...teh gamer can just hit F11 in their browsers (if so, maybe a note at start screen...)

-the anim previous to the game, I guess most of this graphics are very well executed 2d to give the 3d feel...reason why the ship is all it's fly seen in left profile only....why not prerender a 3d space ship, and then insert into the anim? specially on the final arrival, where that lack is a bit mroe felt. Nothing big, but hey.

-in episode 4. just in case you wanna have a look...am not a casual gamer, but almost hardcore...(or hardcore, depends on the game ;) ) ..and found a situation were I surely lost my key to enter th every final red room...can that happen? maybe a bug? maybe in one of the failings down? I had all map discovered, but lacking a key... maybe is part of the difficulty and player gotta guess (definitely non casual thing tho c64 ppl loved those details...I yet to find were was the tirck if so...) I left the level unfinished, to discover that cookies or whatever, today, had kept my info, so went to episode 4 and finished.

-Agreed some more flashy stuff is needed to really make the user buy. Like a *very* nice render or 2d stuff of some ubersuper new weapons, nice renders/illustrations or locations, etc, not in the game art resolution, but more resolution and quality,more impact, even if not an actual game art possible thing... is ok thing when advertising, imo...A screen collage (but not fully disordered) of it as background of the pop up rectanlge, instead of just the mail send thing only(amil form there as well, but with all that stuff around..)...And using exciting colors, etc.

just my 2 cents. That could be wrong.

#31 Sysiphus, May 31, 2008
    Last edited: May 31, 2008
  12. BIGZIPZ

Original Member

Played it, bought it, completed it, loved it! Now I find myself ready to pay for new "level packs". Really great piece of work - AAA quality flash title if ever there was one.

13. mot

mot
    Indie Author

Great

This is pretty damn addictive!

14. elias4444

elias4444 New Member

I had to buy this one too! Just too fun! Although I'm really not sure why you'd ever use anything but the Heavy Pulse Cannon once you get towards the end.

I've got some questions though... HOW did you get a flash game to run SO smooth? It's amazing! You've got major graphic assets in there, lot's of action and animation, and tons going on. How?!? What framerate did you set it at? Are the graphics SVGs or bitmaps? Is there some trick to it?

15. aiursrage2k

Original Member

Good game, beat the demo!

->I agree with the fullscreen idea.
    ->Would it be possible to add a minimap.

First try, I thought it was darn near impossible, until I read that you upgrade and rooms repopulated on death. I was just buying upgrades (not equipping them)

#35 aiursrage2k, Aug 21, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  16. jomanto

jomanto New Member

Beautiful gfx and graphics, fluid game mechanics, totally addictive. A masterpiece!

17. Escapee

Original Member

This has to be one of the best flash games i have ever played. Any chance that this will provide affiliation through regnow ?

18. tolik

Original Member

I've played this game many times already and showed to all of my friends. I wish there would be more than 24 hours in one day so I could actually have couple of extra hours to buy and finish it ;)

Being a Flash developer, I adore your execution - so smooth.

The game itself is really great as well. It feels minimalistic, but NOT empty. It doesn't feel like Smash TV, the atmosphere is a mix of Crusader: No Remorse mixed with Crimsonland.

19. bbjones

bbjones New Member

Great game as already stated.

- I have a fast comp but got some slowdowns when on high detail and lots of bullets flying around (dell xps p4, 8800 gtx, 2gb RAM, Vista Ultimate)

- I lost where I was aiming under heavy fire. I couldn't keep sight of my mouse pointer amidst all the bullets.

- My fire gets lost in enemy fire and found it hard to see what was what (lack of contrast)

20. JGOware

Indie Author

Ace stuff for sure. Slowdowns like crazy, but that's Flash. I'm sure this game is making alot of us around here scratch our heads, Flash? Blitzmax? T2D? hmmm...