Robokill Released

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by HunterSD, May 26, 2008.

1. HunterSD

Indie Author

Hi Everyone,

I'm excited to announce the release of Robokill, the latest Flash game from Rock Solid Arcade. I'd love to know what everyone here thinks.

You can find it here.

Screenshots:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. princec

Indie Author

It's good :) Be interesting to see how a hardcore Flash game sells.

Cas :)

3. svero

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I tried it yesterday. Played through 6 missions or so. It's pretty fun. Definitely worth a look if the idea of a robot based crimsonland-esque shooter with RPG elements appeals to you.

4. Nexic

Indie Author

Great graphics, great gameplay, great polish.

My only gripe is that the sound (especially the explosions) is a little weak. I don't mean poor quality, I just mean they don't sound especially powerful.

5. AlexWeldon

AlexWeldon New Member

It's fun, and it has lots of polish, but at least for me, success doesn't feel like success if there was no chance of failure. If you don't have limited lives, and the enemies you've killed don't come back if you die and respawn, you're guaranteed to beat a level as long as you kill at least a few enemies before dying each time.

I guess that sort of thing may be okay for casual gamers, who will get bored if they get stuck on a level, but from what I've heard, sci-fi action games don't go over well with the casual crowd.

What happens when someone registers the game? Is there a downloadable version, or what? I'm making my first serious game in Flex and, although it's going to be free, I may later want to find a way to make money off future games, other than through advertising. I was thinking that once I had several games on my site, I might do it as a membership thing, where users can register for free or just play without logging in, and still have access to a lot of games, but give registered users the option to pay small amounts for extra levels, multiplayer capability, etc. for their favourites. That's still a long way off though, so in the meantime I'm interested in seeing what ways others are coming up with to make money off AS-based games.

#5 AlexWeldon, May 26, 2008
    Last edited: May 26, 2008
  6. spellcaster

Original Member

Fun game, need to try it with a real mouse instead of my notebooks touchpad.

7. elias4444

elias4444 New Member

WOW! I love that game! I think my son even wants to buy this one.

Is there a way to save your game though? Tough to get so far and have to quit to restart over again later.

P.S. The graphics are amazing! I'm VERY jealous!!

8. cliffski

Moderator Original Member

Thats amazingly polished and nice looking for a flash game. Nice one :D

9. chanon

Indie Author

Was pretty fun. My only recommendation would be to somehow make the doors that you already visited different from those that you haven't. They may be different already by I couldn't see how. That way it would be a lot easier to get around without having to open the map so often.

Also, I don't know if you have them, but seeking missiles would be cool!

10. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Interesting, ultra polished flash online game, purchase throught paypal and impossible to crack... why he would want to do a desktop version?? :D

11. DadTimesTwo

Original Member

Loving it so far. Would thoroughly enjoy a full screen downloadable version.

Question: From time to time, my character won't move. It's as though he's stuck. It might happen when I enter a room or when I'm in the midst of a battle. Does this happen when my shields are critically low?

Suggestion: A custom targetting reticule for when the mouse cursor is inside the game window.

12. electronicStar

Original Member

Wow very good produciton values here, your company really deserves its name.
    The diablo/RPG aspect is very well done. Overall a very good game.

Now what I didn't like :
    -the demo gives way too much. I don't see why I would pay for more atm, I think I'll get bored before the demo is even finished
    -It could use more penalties when I die, for example, it could use money and if no money left-> game over. It would slightly increase the life of the game and also make a use for all the cash I am amassing so far.
    -The weapons are graphically too similar, it's difficult to differentiate them in the shop and also when looking at their effects in game. I would have enjoyed a bit more of variety in the things that I could buy too. More powers and stuff.

13. elias4444

elias4444 New Member

I noticed when I died once that a room was repopulated by robots... I'd say do that EVERY time someone dies (at least one room). It seems like a good penalty to me.

I enjoy games that don't over-penalize you for dying, as it makes it much more approachable to younger players (not too mention, myself). :D

14. oNyx

Original Member

It's ace.

Nitpicking:

- "Click here to buy" doesn't work with FF's popup blocker. I suggest to supply a usual link as well. (There is some way to work around this. GameTrailers recently started doing that for their pre-roll ads for example.)

- If the game can be resumed right after purchase point that out.

- There is no favicon. Try this one: [​IMG]

15. Parthon

Parthon New Member

Lots of fun, played through the demo and will buy the full version soon. :)

I liked the death penalty with the robots respawning and taking back rooms, but it didn't happen often enough, plus you could just rush in after you die and continue. It was a great idea, but not much of a death deterrent.

Otherwise I found the game excellent. Far better than most of the flash games out there.

Can I ask what you made it with?

16. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Good luck with the revenue model. Be interested to hear reports back about it in the future. I've posted some game suggestions on Blitz.

Regarding the death issue, I guess dying is not that scarey like it was in 8-bit games where you knew you'd have to start again, but that's good because I'm too busy for all the restarting guff. It's also a good idea to have rooms reclaimed as well. Perhaps there could be a XP loss too (that would make me more scared and I'd be more careful) and/or a Money loss as it costs to teleport a new one in, something like that.

17. HunterSD

Indie Author

Thanks for all the feedback!

Alex - we think the game is pretty hard core still. It gets harder! Rooms get reclaimed as you die so you do lose something. When the user buys the game it gives them an unlock key which they can use to play the extra episodes online. We probably won't be doing a downloadable version, at least for now.

Elias - The game saves your character stats and current mission, so you just have to play a mission at a time. Serializing the whole level took up too much storage.

Channon - Door indicators is a great idea, thanks!

DadTimesTwo - We didn't make the aimer a custom cursor because it'll lag when the frame rate gets low. Kind of annoying, but I think the lag would be way too noticable.

ElectronicStar - Well, this is essentially a free game, with extra content available for those who love it. If you get bored in the demo, that's fine! I might increase the death penalty (rooms repopulated) a bit.

oNyx - Fixed the FF popup thing! Good catch

Pkeod - We're not really interested in a desktop version right now, sorry!

Parthon - It's made entirely with flex

Grey - Yeah it's a big leap for us! Be interesting to see how it goes.

Thanks again for the feedback everyone!

18. AlexWeldon

AlexWeldon New Member

Thanks, I've just learned something new. I didn't know that Flex/Flash could store information on the local user's computer permanently (I assumed that the permission your game requested was to cache information temporarily...didn't realise it was to save progress). A quick search through the help turned up SharedObjects, which I assume is what you're using. That'll be helpful for my current project.

Question, though. People are saying this is unpiratable. Is that true? If you're storing the key locally on the user's machine, why can't the key be pirated?

19. electronicStar

Original Member

Could I ask you where this information is stored?
    I have stopped playing and I would like to delete it but I couldn't find it anywhere (Vista).

20. chanon

Indie Author

When you say you use Flex, does that mean Flex Builder?
    Is there any reason why you use that instead of FlashDevelop?
    Also, is this AS2 or AS3?