Revisiting the amazon or other one-click payments question

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by cliffski, Dec 19, 2008.

1. cliffski

Moderator Original Member

Why are none of the big payment companies like Plimus, RegNow, BMT, Fastspring offering integration with amazon's payments system yet?
    One-click purchasing without filling out credit card details is the holy grail for selling from your website. I KNOW that amazon are open to pretty much anyone integrating into their payments system.

• What hasn't anyone done it?
    • Who is working on it?
    • When will it be ready?

There is market share to be grabbed here

2. Jeff

Indie Author

If anyone needs help setting up PayPal, TrialPay, Google Checkout, or (soon) Amazon Payments, I'm available to help in exchange for indie good will.

I am a huge fan of going straight to the source and bypassing the middleman that is Plimus, etc. I really don't see the value they add other than enabling you to avoid the small upfront cost of setting up PayPal, etc. yourself.

3. Thomas@BMT

Thomas@BMT New Member

Well, we've taken the initial steps - I have filled out all the forms, faxed required documentation (bank statements, corporation documents, etc.) and we've been accepted into the program. This is the easy part.

The hard part is integrating their system into ours. I'm not a developer but from what I was told by our lead programmer, there are over 300 files in their SDK, many of which are the same file but different versions of files we are already using. I did see the printed documentation - over 2 inches thick.

It is not a trivial task.

Right now, and for the past several weeks, we have been tightly focused on a large project and extension of our system which we're hoping to make available to our vendors shortly after the new year.

The Amazon project is on the board and will get done but it will not be an easy task.

4. princec

Indie Author

Er, Thomas... don't you already have everything required to make one-click payment just work?

Cas :)

5. jankoM

Indie Author

Whats with accounting and/or taxes then? One time I was asking about using straight paypal with my own system everybody was saying that you then enter some tax hell where you have to consider differently each country with it's own specific tax laws or something.

I still hope that is not true somehow, or at least not that difficult to handle.

(I also ask because I just made some webapp for some client and also integrated paypal and some CC processing gateway into it and told clients about these potential taxation problems.. they are still figuring stuff out with their accountants)

6. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Yes that's the problem, and one of the main reason why I don't use it. I don't know how Jeff handles the VAT for all the different EU countries for example. If you're selling a subscription (like for a MMO) that's fine since AFAIK, the vat doesn't apply on that.

Beside this, I really think one-click payment shouldn't be ONLY implemented for Amazon system. I mean, why a vendor can't implement the 1click purchase on his own? the user registers, and then once he wants to buy again from same vendor, he just need to remember user/password.
    I don't know how many repeat customers there are for example for BMT, but I think quite a lot!
    I know for sure a guy that bought 2 hanako games, 2 cliff ones and 2 of mine. If there was 1-click purchase he would have avoided to fill the order form SIX times, but just one. Maybe he would have purchased even more games :)

7. Thomas@BMT

Thomas@BMT New Member

Yes, there's really nothing magical about one click payments as long as you already have the customer account information but the Amazon stuff has to be integrated into our existing system in order to offer it as an additional payment method along with all the payment methods we already offer.

8. cliffski

given the millions of existing amazon accounts, and the fact people don't forget their amazon password, its probably better to integrate into their system than for guys like BMT to have their own click system, although obviously in the long run, both systems are a great idea.

I'm surprised plimus haven't integrated amazon. they are big on features.

#8 cliffski, Dec 20, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  9. Jack Norton

Indie Author

They have? I tried a buynow page but I don't see that option anywhere ?

10. Thomas@BMT

Thomas@BMT New Member

That's probably right.

OTOH, what we are working on will create the ability to offer a BMT 1-click order option as a byproduct of the project itself. We didn't say "Let's make a BMT 1-click order option." we are doing something entirely different and it is evolving out of work we are already doing.

I should add that finalizing the BMT 1-click ordering will take some additional work and will come after completion of the main project which has top priority.

Also, I meant to add in an earlier post about the additional requirements of doing 1-click ordering. Doing this requires additional certifications from the credit card companies which adds a lot of extra work and to some extent working according to their schedules because we have to pass several test submissions to get the certification. The biggest reason is that for security reasons we are not allowed to store the 3 digit CVV number anywhere in our system. As you know, this number is required so if you cannot store the number you cannot offer 1 click billing for obvious reasons. The good news is that we're past all that and are good to go in that area.

#10 Thomas@BMT, Dec 20, 2008
  11. Jack Norton

Indie Author

That's cool, but what about Paypal? shouldn't be possible to have 1click buy on that one, or at least require less informations (if I put a straight paypal buy button the user has only to enter email/password).

12. Thomas@BMT

Thomas@BMT New Member

The reason for collecting customer information on Paypal orders too is so we can know who the customer is. If they just select Paypal and get whisked off to Paypal to make the order we have no idea who the order was for.

Integrating all these other services is pretty tricky business because they all really would rather be the exclusive form of payment rather than one option among many and aren't really made to "play well with others".

FWIW, Paypal and Amazon are very similar (even the look of the control panel is very similar) but PayPal has at least made it possible to use without sorting through hundreds of files and reams of documentation. I fully expect Amazon to do the same as soon as they get some momentum going. Right now, the sheer difficulty of making it work is holding people back - at least that is the problem for us.

#12 Thomas@BMT, Dec 20, 2008
  13. RinkuHero

RinkuHero New Member

Could someone summarize what this is and how this works? I'm not sure what we're talking about here. Does this mean that it could just use the Amazon.com payment data instead of asking the user to supply that? That'd be kind of useful if so. Does a record of their sale go on their Amazon account? Is this done through Amazon in some way? Or is it completely separate, just using their technology?

14. Maupin

Original Member

I'm sure you know more about this than I do, but I implemented a custom Paypal solution for a non-game-related site and Paypal allows you to attach custom fields, ID numbers, etc. to the payment request. And when the payment goes through Paypal can send this data back to you. That's what I use to differentiate customers. It works well once you get it set up.

15. Jeff

Indie Author

Hmm, to be honest I don't even know what VAT is. I am intrigued and would like to know more. Does BMT pay that for you? If so, that would explain their high service fee compared to Google's 2%. I have never paid VAT despite selling to people all over the world and am a little worried.

16. Jeff

Indie Author

Also, Thomas, if you need any help with Amazon please hit me up on AIM / MSN. I didn't really have any trouble with it.

17. RinkuHero

RinkuHero New Member

You only have to pay VAT if you live in a country in the EU, so you wouldn't know what it is unless you live there. BMT does handle it I believe if the customer is in the EU. It's basically a luxury tax on games and other luxury items, and can be pretty high, 20% and up.

18. cliffski

its not a luxury tax, its a general sales tax. only a few things (food, childrens clothes, books) are exempt.

19. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Jeff, I am no accountant but I would be a bit worried if I sold anything to europe without paying VAT... in practice you should pay a VAT amount to each different state, that's why is a total mess and I don't want to deal with it myself!

20. RinkuHero

RinkuHero New Member

Ah, that makes sense. That's a huge sales tax, though. The sales tax in NJ is only 7% (and that's high, some states have *no* sales tax). Although you guys do have free health care so it balances out I guess.