Revenue Share

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by camadro, Jan 28, 2008.

1. camadro

camadro New Member

Would game developers be willing to write flash games for a portal on a revenue share basis?

Thanks,

Jason

2. Escapee

Original Member

Like Kongregate.com ? ya ...

3. camadro

camadro New Member

Yea, but we are thinking about .50 cents for non-exclusive and 1.00 cpm for exclusive. Do you think that is a good deal? What would it take for flash developers to work with on a cpm basis?

Thanks,

Jason

4. Scharlo

Original Member

Guaranteed minimal number of impressions.

5. camadro

camadro New Member

We could do something like that. I'm not sure what the number would be. What do you think is fair? In the end the better the game the more gameplays it will receive.

6. Scharlo

Original Member

It really depends on developers expectations. And you are right, number of gameplays depends on the quality of the game. If you have a portal with severla games, you can share the total number of impressions for for all games with the developer and it is up to them to determine what percentage their game might receive.
    BigFish on-line games page is a good example, you can see all the games with the current number of players (in some weird way related to the actual number of impressions).

7. MrPhil

Original Member

Why are people always asking about flash? Is it some how superior to other options out there? Are they that strong that you'd limit yourself only to flash games?

Also, don't expect good established game developers to take on your risks without increased reward potential. You need to offer royalty advances or focus on finding unproven developers.

8. KNau

Original Member

A popular game on a comparatively busy games site (using Alexa ranking - I know, just go with it here) is looking at anything from 50,000 - 120,000 plays per month based on publicly available Mochibot stats.

Exclusive game on the site could expect $50 - $120 dollars a month
    Non-exclusive game could expect $25 - $60 dollars a month

But, what may surprise some of you is that traffic is pretty consistent. Based on Mochibot stats, plays spike at the beginning but don't drop by much from the spike and stay there for ages. So you could be looking at the above numbers to be the passive income level for about a year.

Freearcade can confirm or deny these numbers. Based on them, I'd say that for an exclusive listing you would probably have to sweeten the pot or look at a straight up sponsorship. Non-exclusive is perfectly reasonable though since the developer would be spreading the game amongst numerous sites.

And, yes, Flash is the best option for browser based gameplay.

9. camadro

camadro New Member

We will look into making the exclusive games into a better deal. The numbers you have are pretty close. The top 5 games on the site get 120-150 thousand plays a month with current traffic. We still have some games on the site over eight years old that get good traffic.

10. camadro

camadro New Member

We would also look any good online game regardless of language

11. Andy

Original Member

This is sad... :( And how all that Flash game developers survive?.. :confused:
    :D

12. OremLK

Indie Author

Most of them are hobbyists with a day job I believe.

13. camadro

camadro New Member

With the new trend of uploading every game that exist the other sites get filled up with so much crap that it is hard to find a good game. If we could put together good online games in a single location I think the traffic would grow 10x current levels. If a person could write 4 good games a year you could make a living doing something that you love. Plus with that kind of traffic you could get higher paid cpms.

14. MrPhil

Original Member

Would you mind expanding on that?

How do Java, igloader etc compare?

So $1440... If I could make a game in 20 hours with zero art costs, then maybe I'd consider it.

What's the jackpot number like? Where is the upside?

#14 MrPhil, Jan 30, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2008
  15. Andy

Original Member

There are different companies out there and they bring different proposals for your games perhaps?.. :confused: And you just need to focus on work with good ones?.. :confused:

16. OremLK

Indie Author

I suppose with a free Flash game you could maybe get away with focusing a lot less on the production values, thereby eliminating costs and time spent. If you look at some of the most popular Flash games, they often have extremely simple graphics--and the gameplay and GUI is of course simpler as well.

I don't know, I think it could be worthwhile as a supplementary/break from full-scale development sort of thing.

Also, even though you can't have true advertising with these deals, there's nothing stopping you from putting a splash screen with your company's name on it, right? Could drive up traffic somewhat to your website with these kinds of numbers.

17. cybermonk

Original Member

I would only be interested in the non-exclusive deal. Especially if the site has decent traffic, and does not accept the free version of the game with links. I have a similar deal with Big Fish Games.

A guaranteed number of impressions, or paying an advance, would be more convincing though. The reward for my work depends on your ability to attract players to your site.

How will you be paying developers, and what is your minimum payout? If the minimum is too high, then some/most developers will never see a cent...

18. camadro

camadro New Member

We agree there is no risk for the non-exclusive deal. We have over 1M unique users every month. The minimum payout is $50. We guarantee you will make at least the minimum. The terms will have to be net 60

19. KNau

Original Member

Basically, Flash has a much broader installed base. So much so that the benefits of "reach" outweigh the perceived limitations of the platform. Due to it's simplicity and general lack of support issues, free game sites very much prefer Flash but you can still make a go of Java or Shockwave. I'm not so sure about other proprietary plug-ins - the reach is just way too low.
    If you're talking non-exclusive then you can multiply that number by however many other sites you post to. The total would more likely be $500 - $1,000 a month from all these different revenue sources. And that doesn't take into account hosting on your own site / Mochiads / prize money from contests. The current poster child for the "upside" is Desktop Tower Defense, which was reportedly pulling something like $7,000 a month.

It's two different business models:
    • You can take a few months to make what you hope will be a wildly popular mega-hit game, hosted and monetized usually from your own site. And maybe sign some site-locked sponsorships for extra money.
    or
    • Over your weekends you develop multiple small, simple games to spread (non-exclusively) across as many sites as will take them.
    From what I've seen it looks like the results of monetizing one hit game or dozens of non-exclusive little games are fairly comparable.

20. cybermonk

Original Member

Well, $50 per game is the absolute minimum to justify the time needed to make your requested changes.

You should also start a thread about this on the MochiAds forum.