Revenue generation : flash games

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by laxmid, Jan 17, 2007.

1. laxmid

laxmid New Member

I’m developing couple of flash games / content. I want to know how does revenue sharing happens in case of flash games. Do we really have to sell the game to a portal? In that case the portal will have all the rights of the game? Can we sell game lisence? I mean I let the portal use my game but not give all the rights of game to them. In this case I guess I can sell same game to different portals. Right??
    Can someone guide me in this regard? What are the portals I can contact? What is avg. selling price of a flash game? Once I sell flash game, can I port same game on another platform (mobile may be) and resell?

2. UnknownGuy

Original Member

It really all depends on your contract with them. :)

Normally you'll find non-exclusive deals, where they get indefinite use of the game on their website, but you are allowed to distribute it to other sites.

The possibility is also open for exclusive deals, though normally time limited(a few months perhaps), where only they have it for the time. Afterwards, it becomes a non-exclusive deal.

There is also something called sponsorship, where the company places links to his website all over your game(unlike portals which normally just have a splash screen and few logos), and you must ALWAYS distribute it with those on it. That normally hinders any other money from other places.

Hope that helps!

3. Natalie

Original Member

And how do the portals generate revenue from the flash game?
    Do they charge any subscription fee from the players? Or do they cover the costs due to the ads?

4. KNau

Original Member

The "free Flash game" sites primarily use advertising to generate revenue. Some sites (the multiplayer RPGs for example) offer a free game and then an expanded game for a small subscription fee. Some sites use free Flash games to generate traffic but make their money from affiliate sales of casual games (in addition to advertising, of course).

5. Natalie

Original Member

I've done some research and that' s what I found:http://www.itpremium.com/flashdevelopment.html

So there are actually 4 ways to profit from Flash games:
    1) Creation of game portal
    2) Running online multiplayer tournaments
    3) Promotion of shareware games
    4) Sublisensing

plus one more way - inserting ads into free games and sponsorship

The question is: what flash games can be sublisensed for a certain amount?
    Should they be like shareware - "commercial" ones or will the usual free online games do?