Reusable MOD Player in Flash with full source code released :-)

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Bad Sector, Aug 4, 2008.

1. jetro

Original Member

That might be a nice addition... If I remember correctly, MOD also had some weird problem that the note range was very limited, i.e. if you load a high quality sample into it, you can't play it high enough... that is, you couldn't give the "natural" playing rate for each sample at all. But you said you extended the note range? Also I think there was an arbitrary limit (64k?) for sample sizes? (haven't made a single .MOD in years, but have been making .XM and .IT files).

If you want to make it with minimal effort: one could just compose a MOD with 8 bit samples, then save it with 16 bit samples, and then change the header with hex editor so your code would know that the samples are 16 bit. :)

Sure the instruments make it better, but I think the single most affecting thing to improve audio quality will be the 16 bit samples. :) The 8bit stuff sounds very tingly because of aliasing problems, i.e. there's lot of high pitched noise or something.

Sure, that's how it always goes.. I'm not demanding anything, just suggesting - besides, if I'd urgently need that stuff, I could always implement those changes myself (thanks for making source available).

It's interesting that you mention a tool which would generate sound waves etc - that is, contain a softsynth for creating instruments. A few years ago I used system like that for some demoscene 64kb intros (nowadays people usually use the softsynths in realtime instead of generating a few samples). I have also thought it'd be ideal way to get lots of nice music in a downloadable game while keeping it small.

There's at least one such tracker (including free player source) available, check out ProTrekkr: http://pagesperso-orange.fr/franck.charlet/protrekkr.html
    I think its synth sounds a bit weird at times, and the tracker itself isn't very stable either... but it's still nice. :) No idea how viable it'd be run that stuff in Flash though, probably even worse than making xm instruments or so.

2. Bad Sector

Original Member

The MOD format stores the note periods (based on Amiga screen frequencies). Unlike some MOD players that convert periods to notes, mine uses these periods directly (this is why XM playback needs much more than a drop-in) because the MOD commands modify the periods, not the sound frequencies. As a side effect, if your tracker saved the MOD with notes with very low or very high frequencies (MilkyTracker can do that but issues an "incompatibility" warning), my player will be able to play them. I don't know about the sound quality though.

HOWEVER, some commands are based on the notes themselves (so i *do* have to build a note table, i just dont use it for all commands), like arpeggio. Since i don't have the extended note-period table (i just didn't searched enough - also i think i can extend it manually), these effects with non-standard notes will not sound correctly (actually i think only arpeggio uses this...).

Anyway, if you can build a MOD with 16bit samples, tell me so i can look more into it :). A hex editor isn't needed, just a little patching utility is enough :)

3. abiallan

abiallan New Member

Hi!
    The information provided was very useful!
    Thanks!

4. tolik

Original Member

So i wonder if latest adobe announcement of C/C++ to AS3 compiler will improve support of music formats ;) They talked about Orbis already...

5. nathan3011

nathan3011 New Member

Hey just wanted to say a Landlord Insurance thanks for this!!

Its greatly aprpeciated my friend :)

#25 nathan3011, Mar 18, 2009
    Last edited: May 6, 2009