Retro64 Releases Cosmo Bots

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by Mike Boeh, Nov 11, 2004.

1. Mike Boeh

Administrator Original Member

I am pleased to announce that Cosmo Bots has been released! Many people played the beta, thanks for all the nice suggestions and comments :)

EXE: http://www.retro64.com/cosmobots.exe
    Screenshots and info: http://www.retro64.com/cosmobots.asp

I also redesigned the homepage, but it's a little bandwidth heavy, so I have to run the clickthrough numbers before I know whether or not I will keep it...

Thanks!

2. tolik

Original Member

For some reason I don't like filling sounds and the sounds of splitter (line) attaching to a surface.

Combo sound sounds like mono. On the ambient sound background it sounds really bad.

Still, you can shoot sitting inside an enemy.

I think killing all enemies on the screen should autofill entire surface.

Starting world selection is much better.
    Starting level selection is buggy. You can drag and drop this guy to a further distance than moving him using left/right arrow.

Writing 99% when level is complete is confusing. How about cool INFINITY sign there instead of two digits?

(more to follow)

3. EpicBoy

Original Member

You also have a spelling mistake. I meant to point it out during the testing phase but I forgot. :(

"All ememies destroyed"

4. luggage

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

If I click on the 4th from the left thumbnail I get a different large picture. The small one looks interesting!

5. tolik

Original Member

Level 8 is too hard.
    I lost all my lives there. Twice.
    I think you had another level instead of it before.

Also, I think there's a very easy way to make this game casual.

Every time you add a new enemy to level, make screenover hint (like in AstroPop with every new brick type) with very basic explanation of enemy behaviour.

Also, help page wouldn't hurt.

6. Sirrus

Original Member

It's great and all to have input/criticism, but at this point, I think its important for congratulations to Mike.

Good work!

Look forward to trying the final build...

7. Mike Boeh

Not much I can say here except that I like the sounds.

Yes, I elected to keep this.

I did it this way, and it just confused the user. EDIT: Let me explain a little more. When I did it this way, the users didn't understand why the level ended, and it was a big jarring. So I removed it.

I don't think buggy is the right word. The slider can move freely, but you can't go to a higher level than what the arrows give.

That's embarassing. Anyway, corrected- I can't believe that made it through testing with NOBODY noticing!

Nah, I can take it :D

Thanks!

#7 Mike Boeh, Nov 11, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2004
  8. tolik

Original Member

Great work, Retro64. Thanks for all the commentslapping :)
    It's very great to hear what and why happened in this game!

9. Mike Boeh

I will look into the sounds though. I always found them pleasing, but I don't play without the music. As for the bonus points sounds, I did make them mono on purpose, because it didn't sound "right" when they were directional...

10. GrahamGoring

Original Member

Just installed it over the beta version (so this may be an issue connected to that) but when I restarted and clicked the 0-9 level option it crashed. It also crashed on the old beta version whenever I tried selected a level with the slider that I hadn't got to yet.

11. Mike Boeh

Sounds like you still have the beta somehow... Because you can't select a level you haven't been to in the release version.

12. Anthony Flack

Indie Author

No, it's just a highly zoomed in tiny piece of the screenshot. It's a bit weird, because the thumbnail is actually at a higher resolution than the screenshot...

13. Optigon CG

Original Member

We decided to use higher contrast versions in the thumbnails. The actual background images wouldn't have shown up very well as thumbs. They are darkened quite a bit as to not interfere with gameplay.

14. GrahamGoring

Original Member

The thumbnail screen is totally different (circle of piccies instead of a line with two rows of them) and seeing as I'd got to like level 5 or 6 I thought I'd be able to click the 0-9 icon...

Rebooted it and it loaded the level select fine this time, though.