Retro Racing removed from the AppStore. Bit of a shock!

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by Jamie W, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Jamie W

Original Member Indie Author

Also, a warning to other iOS devlopers. Full story here:

http://www.mrqwak.com/2012/03/ooops/

2. DaveGilbert

Indie Author

Wow. I'm so sorry this happened, but thanks for sharing the story. Hopefully it will prevent others from going through what you did.

3. Musenik

Original Member

That's an awful lesson to learn. I have been contemplating changing banks. I'll be sure to do it well before I post an appstore game.

4. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

That sucks, hope you get it sorted out real quick.

Has a similar timing issue when we got our only national newspaper piece - in the Guardian. He said it had great potential but kept going on about the crashing issue on iPad 2 and gave us 2/5 iirc. He even admitted it'd get top marks if it was fixed. The patch was already in with Apple and came out two days later. :(

5. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Thanks for the warning story. As an indie we live for the hits, to get your legs cut out right now is awful and I hope that somebody at Apple at least reads your blog and has some notion of what their actions have caused.

Not sure this is a fix but my immediate notion is to find other venues/platforms to sell your popular game.

6. Jamie W

Thanks guys, I totally apprecieate all your comments.

I would seriously recommend not doing what I did. Maybe better to just create a new iOS developer account? Or make the change, when you don't have anything selling like hot-cakes on the store.

I think the really hard thing is to stay positive and focussed. I'm trying, but it ain't easy right now. Just doesn't help to get upset or down about these things.

There's a lot to be said for not keeping all your eggs in one basket lennard. Also, if something's not broken, don't mess with it. I just hope I learn from the experience, and don't make any mistake like this again. I've a lot to learn..

7. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Wow bummer! Why did you change from personal to business account?

8. Jamie W

That's a good question Jake. I had just incorporated a Limited company here in the UK, and wanted the AppStore to reflect my company name 'Mr Qwak Limited'. That's why I made the change. The real kicker, is that after the change, the company displayed name is still 'Qwakers' (the old name I wanted to change from).

9. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Double bummer. So there wasn't a "legal" reason for you to change then? Just to get your company name listed? Well anyway I hope you get it sorted soon!

10. Jamie W

No legal reason I was aware of. Really pretty dumb of me, in hindsight, to change.

A complete unmitigated disaster, especially, considering I've been trying to make it in games, for 25 years or so, and just when I felt I was starting to go places, this happens.

11. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Well at least you've made some cash and can hopefully get back on track quickly.

12. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Wow really bad luck :( good luck in getting the game listed again soon!

13. dannthr

dannthr New Member

Keep the community posted on when it comes back online!

14. Jamie W

Will do thanks Dan. I'm hoping to get a little love when it does! Either from Apple, or anyone in the gaming press. It could make a good story I guess, and it's clearly an important issue, and iOS developers NEED to know about this, if they're migrating from personal to company iOS dev accounts.

Another thing this has brought up for me, is how much I need the good will of, and friends, in the game development community. The worse thing is when this happens, and you're all alone, in a bedroom somewhere. If only I had talked through the migration, with people in the know. Someone may have warned me. I'm a bit stunned also, that Apple didn't mention it, when I called up to request the Migration.

15. Nexic

Indie Author

Dang, that *really* sucks. Apple should have warned you about the product downtime.

Thanks a bunch for posting your experiences, I'll be wary of stuff like this if/when I ever get on to iOS .

16. Jamie W

MINI UPDATE: I was in touch with Apple first thing this morning. They're aware of situation and have escalated it to their internal team to deal with. Still not sure how long that will take, but at least the ball is rolling now. :)

17. Nutter2000

Ouch, hope it gets sorted soon

18. Pallav Nawani

Indie Author

I read about this on touch arcade forums but I had no idea that it was you. Hope it gets sorted out soon.

19. vbovio

vbovio New Member

ouch man, what a misfortune, hope it gets resolved soon and you can recover your sales.
    thanks for sharing your experience.

20. Jamie W

Thanks for your support chaps. :)

Yeah, Apple seem to be responding to this very slowly..

"let's just wait and see, if it corrects itself in another 24 hours"

It's already been over 72 hours!