Resources

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by AshleyWaldorf, Apr 2, 2012.

1. AshleyWaldorf

AshleyWaldorf New Member

Does anyone know of any good books or resources for learning to draw buildings and environments and learning how to animate? I'm feeling a little lost and I'm not sure where to look. Thank you!

2. rioka

rioka New Member

Are you interested in animation the traditional way or through a software? If via software, there's a list here and here (scroll down to Art Animation and Spriting).

As for drawing buildings and environments, you'll have to pick up some perspective books. I personally like Perspective Made Easy by Earnest Norling and Perspective Drawing Handbook by Joseph D'Amelio. For animation in general, the Force line of books are pretty nifty:
    Force: Dynamic Life Drawing for Animators
    Force: Animal Drawing
    Force: Character Design from Life Drawing

If you're interested in learning how to sprite (and sprite animation), I have some lists of sites which I can share with you if that's what you're aiming for.

3. infocyde

infocyde New Member

List 'em please!

I'd be interested in checking out your Sprite links if it isn't a big hassle to post them. Thanks.

4. AshleyWaldorf

AshleyWaldorf New Member

Thank you so much for the information! I would very much like to see the sprite animation links.

5. rioka

rioka New Member

Here they are:

Derek Yu's Pixel Tutorial
    Pixel Art Tutorials
    Kawaii Hannah
    The Pixel Zone
    Pixel Joint
    Mark's Pixel Art Tutorial
    Tsugumo Pixel Art Tutorial
    Drububu Pixel Art Tutorial - has a nice little intro on pixel art but you will have to pay for the rest :\
    How to Start with Pixel Art
    Pixel Art - very short tutorial but they have nice examples if you click on the links at the bottom
    I'll try to see if I can find the rest. :>

Not tutorials but pretty nifty non-the-less:
    City Creator - this is more of background-maker of sorts using a drag and drop method
    RPG Maker VX Resource - not sure if these are original or not so heads up
    Has Graphics - says free graphics for indie's but there's no mention about commercial use, fyi

#5 rioka, Apr 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015