Render-to-texture ok for casual games?

Discussion in 'Development & Distribution' started by brianmeidell, Oct 23, 2009.

1. brianmeidell

brianmeidell New Member

I am wondering if any of you know whether using render-to-texture (rendertargets) (in DX7) is a risky feature to use for casual games?

I am unsure how crappy graphics hardware you have to have before it's not possible to use, so if any of you have some insight in this area, feedback is appreciated.

2. jcottier

jcottier New Member

Not, it is not risky, make sure you test your stuff on intel cards.
    Most casual game require Dx8 to run. So, Dx7 feature are fine.

JC

3. brianmeidell

brianmeidell New Member

It runs on Intel 915 and 945 at least.

DX7 I know is not risky (which is why I've used that all along) - it's more whether SetRenderTarget will commonly fail on low-end graphics cards.

Thanks for your reply. Any elaboration is also appreciated :)

4. jcottier

jcottier New Member

Even old(5 years old?) low end graphic cards support render to texture. Don't worry, you are safe.

JC

5. gutripper

gutripper New Member

the intel chipset in my laptop doesn't like render-to-texture for non-Power of 2 render targets. So....only use pow2 textures :D

6. brianmeidell

brianmeidell New Member

Yeah, I already check the pow2 cap bit and adjust all engine behavior accordinly, including the size of render targets.

Incidentally, does your graphics card allow regular textures with non-pow2 sizes, or is it only the render targets?

7. gutripper

gutripper New Member

Hmm, 100% not sure. I've used non-POW2 sprites with XNA (which worked), but I don't know if the textures are resized "under the hood" for chipsets that can't handle non-POW2 textures.

8. brianmeidell

brianmeidell New Member

My guess is yes - it's my impression that it's the exact kinda of low level technical detail that XNA is intended to spare people from.