Render farms?

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by Chris England, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Chris England

Chris England New Member

OK, so due to a poor choice of engine, I'm using spritesheets in my game. Lots and lots and lots of them, in fact. These are rendered from 3D files in Maya into individual .png frames and then are put together into 2D spritesheets manually. The workflow took a bit of time to sort out, but it's fine now - we've got batch renders set up and all seems to be functioning well.

The major obstacle we're now facing is time. We've got over a million frames of animation to render and my PC isn't really up to doing it inside of a year. I'm looking at renting time on a render farm to do the work in a couple of weeks - I was just wondering if anyone had any experience using render farms and any tips or recommendations where they are concerned?

2. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Apologies in advance because I'm not answering your question but are you sure this game doesn't want to be in 3d using Unity? Those #'s, as I'm sure you know, mean a huge download so I've just gotta ask.

3. Chris England

Chris England New Member

Sadly it's a bit late to change now. The project started before Unity was on PC.

Having looked at the renderfarms in more detail, a lot of them don't seem to support rendering individual frames with Mental Ray and out-of-order frames. This is a pain. If anyone knows a service that I can use my own render scripts with then that would be a lot of used.

4. luggage

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Ouch, sounds tricky. I'll ask a couple of artists here in the morning. Adding them all to texture pages manually though? I've used TexturePacker in the past, it's great at dealing with them.