[release] Armada Tanks - our first shooter since Clash'N Slash

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by berserker, Oct 3, 2007.

1. berserker

Indie Author

Here is another game release from us. This is also third-party title we are going to publish - I worked as producer on this one in order to make this Battle City remake as close to our Clash'N Slash roots as possible :)

We are going to move away from puzzle games to return to our Clash'N Slash roots to make games for male casual audience and this is the first step on our long way. Not that you won't see any puzzle game from us but you'll see more male games that's for sure :)

I would love to hear any feedback or comments. You can post them in this thread or fill up beta-report form on this link:
    http://www.enkord.com/mailinglist/beta/games/armadatanks.php

Check it out!

Screenshots:
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Trial:
    here (9.3 mb)

Game page:
    http://www.enkord.com/games/armadatanks/

Please let me know what you think about it !!
    ________
    Hawaii dispensaries

#1 berserker, Oct 3, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  2. jeb_

Indie Author

Haha! "You are winner!", that's so funny, I hope it's a reference to Big Rigs :)

Gonna write more extensive feedback soon, I like the game so far (except the music).

Update:

Ok, some more feedback. I like the game, it has a very nice presentation. The things I would prefer differently was the music (it became annoying after a while) and that you were forced to move in grids. A gridless movement system would feel a lot smoother, in my opinion.

When the demo was finished I didn't really feel like I wanted more. Can't really say why, but I guess the gameplay was too repetitive for my taste. You need to insert some kind of "hook" in the game. Like, "there's a big huge boss waiting for you!", or something.

Update 2:

I remembered another thing I wanted to mention. I found it hard to tell when I was damaged. It would be nice with a small shake or red screen flash when the player is hurt.

#2 jeb_, Oct 3, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2007
  3. Escapee

Original Member

I really like the overall presentation of the game. The gameplay is the standard tank shootem up with upgrade option which is really cool. The art style is refreshing and unique. COngrats on the release & hope u do well

BTW
    I saw a few typos on the game which you may want to correct. (eg : destroing )

4. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Yeah, "together we are going to blow them all" is a bit suspect.

I'm a big fan of taking old genres and putting a new spin on them (think Pom-Pom Games) so I hope you do well. I'll post more when I get a chance to play the game.

5. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I'm going to agree with the earlier poster - the game isn't fun in some new distinct way that makes me feel like I need to pay money for it. Primarily, I didn't have an "ah-ha" moment where I felt like I was learning something so that if I just played the game again I would do better.

Additionally, a few minor menu nitpicks:

The mouse is sluggish in the menu system. Also, keyboard to move between selections and Return key for OK or currently selected menu item would be a good addition.

Music was going to get annoying after awhile - I know, it's a checklist item. Not sure what to do here although I think, as a player, I would have preferred more ambient sounds and no music. Also, while clean, I think the artwork would benefit from being a little more military, perhaps with a bit of a sense of humor. The souped up tanks that show up after a while look like little race cars which did not inspire me to want to do damage to them... Also, the main base that I could blow up bricks to reach but then not do damage to was confusing.

Lastly the in between levels summation screen is a little dry. The translucent $'s look a bit cheesy - if nothing else I would speed this section up.

6. stanchat

Indie Author

I like the gameplay on this. It is reminiscent of Tank Battle on the Intellivision system. The music gets a bit annoying after awhile and like mentioned earlier it could have more of a military theme to it.

When I run in fullscreen mode I get purple/magenta artifacts around all the fonts. If I switch to windowed it goes away. I do have a widescreen monitor so this may have something to do with it.

http://www.tccons.com/armada_artifacts.png

7. Game Producer

Moderator Original Member

Ooh... those tanks looks soooooo nice :D

Not much to say - besides that if I were you I'd put BUY button on your website as well. Some people (sometimes) search only to buy games they've sometimes downloaded... and want a quick way to do that.
    (And might not realize that you need to download demo to buy the game...)

8. Genimo

Indie Author

He, he! I like it!

Any plans for online multi-player?

There is a minor bug in the installer, desktop shortcut is missing an icon.

Also in the window mode re-draw is off when not in focus: run in the window mode, switch to some other window and drag it over the game window

9. techbear

Original Member

I love it, and I hope it makes you tons of money.

Very quick to get into, very sticky, very fun. The English text has many problems, but in a way that's charming. Well done!

10. Midnight Synergy

Indie Author

I had fun with the demo (reminded me of the tank section in the old TRON arcade game, which I LOVED as a kid).

But I also felt that I didn't need to play any more after the demo ended, as there was little change in the levels that I did play. I do like the idea of bosses as one possible 'hook'. Then again, I like bosses for any purpose. :)

Presentation, style, etc is all top notch. Controls without WASD feel wrong somehow (I would like to be able to keep the right-mouse button pressed and have the tank moving continuously in the pointed direction), but with WASD+Mouse it goes very smoothly.

Hope it does well for you.

11. berserker

Indie Author

Thanks to all of you guys for your feedback! Yeah, this game is still in Engrish or Runglish as I had no chance to give it to someone for proofreading and I am not a native speaker as you might guess :)

Ha-ha! Now THAT was funny :)

I wonder how online multiplayer version of this game will look like...
    Does anyone have ideas?
    ________
    Honda mb50 history

#11 berserker, Oct 4, 2007
  12. jeb_

Indie Author

Simply give a base to each player, and the mission to destroy/defend them. I think that would be fun, especially in 2on2 games :)

13. AnthemAudio

Original Member

Regarding multiplayer...yeah for 2 on 2. Opposing bases would work. 1 on 1 would do the same, just spawn tanks per side so my tanks go after your base and your tanks go after my base, plus the one controllable per side, then the multiplayer upgrades allow you to bring out more tanks, different kinds of tanks, all kinds of stuff.

This would actually be a cool multiplayer DS title!

14. Jesse Aldridge

Original Member

I played it and enjoyed it decently until I got to the level with the semi-invisible tanks. All of a sudden my health dropped like a rock and I exploded. Probably an invisible tank next to me that I didn't notice. Anyway, this event broke my "casual trance" and I was able to quit the game - which is a bad thing ;) Maybe get rid of the invisible tanks all together?

I really liked the the strong outlines on the game models.

And multiplayer could be very sweet. It would of course be much harder and less mindless than the normal mode... not sure if most casual players would enjoy it.

15. Maupin

Original Member

I enjoyed playing through a few levels. I didn't really care for using the mouse and I suggest that if players use the keyboard to control the tank, the crosshairs default (with no mouse movement) to point in the direction the tank is travelling.

I really like the cartoony nature of the 3D environment and tanks.

Three criticisms:

All game messages and fonts had lines separating individual letters. You can see a screenshot of what I mean here. Plus, when entering "Maupin" as my name at the beginning, the program put a large space between the "i" and "n." Kind of odd.

:mad: :mad: The game put a quickstart shortcut in my toolbar. I strongly suggest you remove that.

:mad: :mad: Uninstalling caused IE7 (not even my primary web browser) to open up for some reason. I presume as a last ditch effort to get a sale or do some tracking. I'm uninstalling for a reason.

The last two criticisms are things that personally really peeve me, and I would never buy a game - no matter how good - based on either one being present in the download. Maybe that's just me, but I find them very, very shady.

16. berserker

Indie Author

Thanks everyone for your feedback!
    Uploaded new version, please try it again especially those people who had problems with fonts.
    ________
    Apple Games

#16 berserker, Oct 8, 2007
  17. simply_bert

simply_bert New Member

Have played the first version - it ran fine - no font or other technical problems.
    I really enjoyed playing it - at least the first 15 minutes. The missions became fastly quite boring and the music didn't make me feel being on a battlefield.
    I'd suggest, that you could make two or three tutorial missions at the beginning but the further ones should be more inventive, challanging with more sophisticated objectives... You have a cool overview map - so its predestinated for making a campaign with a nice story - not only a 'dumb' "clash and slash" in different themes. Btw. the graphics is really great!
    I'd also really love to play multiplayer matches :)

This game has a great potential, with things mentioned above, I would surely buy it!

edit: the AI is quite bad

18. berserker

Indie Author

#18 berserker, May 3, 2008
  19. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Your flash versions are always very well done, congrats to your flash programmer/team :)

20. madebynewt

madebynewt New Member

Wow! I love this game's look!!! Very interesting for the genre! :) I will try it out now