Regnow/Plimus affiliates

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by george, Aug 3, 2005.

1. george

george
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

still deciding between regnow and plimus... everyone keeps saying regnow's affiliate system is better... is it because you will have a better chance of getting more affiliates with regnow than plimus because regnow has a very large affiliate-base, or is there sometehing more to it? is one system better than the other? what's the deal exactly???

thanks!
    ________
    BOX VAPORIZER TEMPERATURE
    ________
    VAPORIZERS

#1 george, Aug 3, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  2. Nexic

Nexic
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

Use both.

Ie. All buy links from your site and games should go to plimus. But you have a regnow account as well, so affiliates can sell your product. Then you give those affiliates a special regnow build.

3. cliffski

cliffski
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator Original Member

i use both. i prefer plimus because most of my money comes from there, but regnow just have way more games (i sell as an affiliate too). Regnow also take paypal.

4. george

george
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

thanks guys...

without considering the number of affiliates each service has, what's the difference? i mean, are both systems basically the same, any pros or cons besides the ones already discussed?

basically i just want to know if it is worth it to create a separate regnow account and pay a $20 setup fee, and configure everything... i will probably only have a few select affiliates ("partners"), and i just want to make sure that plimus will work well for them well (i.e. not limited or too hard to use). i will most likely not be selling any affiliate products.

thanks,
    ________
    WELLBUTRIN LAWSUIT INFORMATION
    ________
    Vaporizers

#4 george, Aug 3, 2005
  5. Jack Norton

Jack Norton
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

You don't need to care too much about affiliate number: the top sites (the ones which get more traffic) will accept both systems, so pick the one you like more ;)

6. Tom Cain

Tom Cain
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

Several months ago in a private forum, I had someone very successful point out to me that some services are better than others at closing sales. This had not occurred to me before but now seems obvious. The services all implement different checkout systems, fraud control methods, customer prompts, etc. These are complex systems that have many variables.

A more expensive service can generate more profits for you if it closes enough extra sales. I don't know of any closure-rate data for the various services. The advice given to me was to test several and see which generated the most profit for me.

7. Nexic

Nexic
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

Well, too be honest I don't think there is a major difference in the closure rate for each site. As far as I can tell, if someone has decided to buy your game they are not likely to be put off by having to enter a few extra details. I'm pretty any difference would be almost insignificent. However if they don't allow free mail addresses and have very strict fraud prevention system then that may lose you sales, as some people will have problems paying ,even one they are totally legit (svero mentioned he cannot buy anything through Regnow because of this).

Both affiliate systems work well, its just that RegNow has more affiliates who will see your game. Though in my experience only one or two actually make any sales.

8. soniCron

soniCron
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

I Was Under the Impression

I was under the impression that you had to approve each affiliate. At least, that's what I gathered from a 5 minute glance at Plimus' setup pages. If that's the case, what does it matter how many affiliates each service has? Or am I totally off the mark?

9. ErikH2000

ErikH2000
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

That's true for Plimus. I imagine it's true for RegNow also, but I'm not sure.
    It can be hard to convince someone to use the same payment processor as you for affiliation purposes. They may not want to do the setup work, deal with the inconvenience of receiving payments from multiple sources, introduce inconsistencies to their order forms, or other things.

-Erik

10. DFG

DFG
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

Plimus has a clunkier affiliate signup system - definitely a drawback if they seriously want to compete with RegNow on the affiliate side. RegNow is in no way perfect, but way easier for affiliates to find, signup, and sell products. Plimus has a great service for vendors, just needs an affiliate system overhaul.

11. george

george
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

so basically you are saying my partners will be turned off by the plimus affiliate system??? what's the deal exactly? what is the difference between the regnow and plimus affiliate systems?

thanks!
    ________
    PrettyLizzy
    ________
    butt Cams

#11 george, Aug 4, 2005
  12. DFG

DFG
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

Signup as an affiliate and experience it yourself - my words would be insufficient ;)

13. Jack Norton

Jack Norton
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

Yes I agree with DFG on plimus affiliate. However:
    - plimus has monitor. that's the best system to check that affiliation really work ;) being able to see in real-time what happens is very cool
    - once you are accepted, you receive an email with links, you put them on your site and you're done. You don't even need to login to the system

Anyway when Plimus will start to accept Paypal, and will have a more user-friendly affiliate control panel (I don't like particularly that by default you see all the list of product) there will be really no competition ;)

14. DFG

DFG
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

Completely agree. I hope they take notice and work this out because I would like to see them succeed. The industry needs another viable affiliate/vendor service that is priced decently.

15. george

george
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

thanks guys. there is a lot of info here... so we can agree that the plimus affiliate system is NOT THE BEST. however, IS IT BAD? i mean, i really don't want to sign up for a second service like regnow, like i said before, i will have only a few select partners (in the beginning at least). so my main concern is that the plimus affiliate system will be "good enough" -- the way you guys are talking about it makes it look horrible and useless :confused:

thanks!
    ________
    Peak Towers Condo
    ________
    SensualNSexy live

#15 george, Aug 4, 2005
  16. Nexic

Nexic
    Expand Collapse
    Indie Author

Plimus - Great for selling you own versions of the game.

RegNow - Great for selling through affiliates.

Sign up to both. Link *your* versions of the game to the Plimus buy pages. The make affiliate builds that use regnow. I know you say you don't want to do this, but I can't see any reason why. Aside from the $20 regnow fee, and the slight amount of extra setting up (really isnt that hard or time consuming), which is tiny, when considering the affiliates will probably make than back in no time.

17. ErikH2000

ErikH2000
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

I don't think Plimus is so terrible. It's more a question of how many people are already on RegNow versus Plimus. So you can get more affiliates on RegNow for the stupid-simple reason that there are more vendors there.

But listen to what Nexic said. It's not that big of a deal to set up on multiple payment processors.

-Erik

18. DFG

DFG
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

I think the main issue is getting super affiliates to use it. Super Affs are busy people and if it seems too complex, won't want to mess with it. Especially if all there other merchant partners are with RegNow, to sign up with another payment system that not many partners are using and then it takes awhile to figure out what is going on...well, you get the picture.

I wouldn't say it is bad, they track well (as far as I could tell), their payment is always on time, and the reporting is pretty good. The signup process for each project just seems clunky.

I hope that helps clarify the issue I raised.

19. gcarlton

gcarlton
    Expand Collapse
    Original Member

< I've cut my length post and started a new thread with it >

#19 gcarlton, Aug 10, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2005