Reflexive bought by Amazon

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DrWilloughby, Oct 21, 2008.

1. xelanoimis

Original Member

Well, I hope they'll find a way to remove the access restriction, the one based on the visitor's country. Reflexive.com is still saying "connection was reset" to me :(

2. Grey Alien

Indie Author

3. tolik

Original Member

There aren't so many examples of games from one platform being massively played on another one, except backwards compatibility. Should've used Wii (Amazon - retail) Virtual Console (Reflexive - digital) analogy.

4. jcottier

jcottier New Member

I always thought that portals should act like Amazon. Their front page is dynamic and personalized with the player taste and previous order. I don't know if Amazon is planning to do something similar with "downloadable games". If it is the case, they would definitely become the biggest player. The biggest players in the download area are Steam, Real, BFG… All of them have just niches audience compare to what Amazon can offers. If done well, they could really make a lot of noise I think. They would not compete with just one portal or one type of portal (casual or hardcore) but with absolutely all of them at the same time. Hard task but they have done it before. This is going to be interesting to see how what happen.

JC

5. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Reflexive does have a dynamic front page.

6. arcadetown

Moderator Original Member

What this means... Arcadetown is no longer buying food & drinks for those freeloaders from Reflexive. Reflexive now gets to buy everything!

Congrats guys!

Looking at the buyer I might imagine the story here may be much the same as was for when we sold Arcadetown. Hopefully Amazon is most interested in a stable revenue stream and not making wholesale changes while also taking their game to the next level. Whereas if sold to a top industry player it would have caused territory pissing issues with other top players and probably massive changes.

7. Indiepath

Indiepath New Member

Fantastic news - Time to (find time to) develop some more games!!

8. HarryBalls

HarryBalls New Member

One click Game Purchase

It will be interesting to see how, if at all, Amazon implements features like their one click purchase into Reflexive's game purchase path. That alone could enhance their conversion rates significantly.

9. DrWilloughby

Indie Author

How rude of me not to congratulate you guys as well. My first post did come across as quite cynical, but you deserve plenty of good cheer from all of us as well. Sincere congrats, fellas!

10. matmilne

matmilne New Member

i always buy from a seperate vendor through amazon, amazon themselves take way too long to dispatch items. The great thing with amazon is that it collects all the vendors in one place so you can see who's selling your products. it's not as easy with ebay.