Reflexive/Amazon new pricing results

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by Jack Norton, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Jack Norton

Indie Author

With only 3 days left to this month, I think I can share my results of this new pricing.
    Of course I can't post the figures, but I can say by which percentage the new pricing has affected my AFFILIATE sales only:
    from january 2009 to february 2009, so far, I experienced about -60% less revenues. Total sales are higher by small percentage but since price is half, the revenues are much lower.
    Even with an optimistic estimate, if this month had 30 days, I could maybe reach -50% of revenues.

To be fair I need to add: this month has been bad for my direct sales too, even if not so bad.

I know several other affiliate/developers that had similar results, or even worse than mine. But I invite everyone who wants to post here and share their results, so it doesn't seem a personal attack to Reflexive / Amazon because it isn't :eek:

My only goal is to demonstrate that low pricing is good for developers for time limited deals and not as a permanent solution.

2. Desktop Gaming

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I've noticed an improvement but my site also relaunched in February, so I don't know how much of the improvement I can attribute to the price shift alone.

My sales figures are so low anyway that I can't say with any certainty that its the start of a new trend. I'm looking at it as a 'spike' at the moment. We'll see what happens through March.

3. Escapee

Original Member

Almost same here Jack,

Comparison between January and February 09

After change effect
    1) Average sales(Reflexive) revenue per day down by 30-35%

2) Average download per day declines by 10-15% as hundreds of game titles were shifted to other programs.

3) Conversion rate up by 50%.

Price change (ie 6.99) is a big factor for the drop of average sales revenue(Reflexive)/day.

I miss the good time :)

#3 Escapee, Feb 25, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  4. princec

Indie Author

Don't worry about it all too much... I strongly suspect Reflexive will notice their massive decrease in revenues after a few months and do something about it to get them back on track.

Cas :)

5. Dark Octave

Dark Octave New Member

Yeah, like further increase their percentage and lower developers.

Sounds about on par with their strategy so far.

6. hippocoder

Indie Author

Well we're not stupid people. If they want to shaft us, we'll move on.

7. Maupin

Original Member

I'll post numbers at the end of the month, but so far it looks like I'll match or slightly increase my revenue compared to January. With three days left to go, number of sales this month are 172% of what they were in January, revenue is 92%.

8. princec

Indie Author

Reflexive won't shaft their vendors.

9. DFG

DFG
    Original Member

Similar trends on the titles we have tested but I am going to give it some more time. You can do all kinds of things to make conversion rates jump but this really isn't the metric we are all in business for.

10. Executrix

Executrix New Member

Remember that Reflexive was bought out, they don't have to care about sales anymore, they just must do their new master's bidding.

11. Desktop Gaming

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

You might want to consider that several of Reflexive's staff are frequent visitors to this forum before you go speaking on their behalf.

12. Maupin

Original Member

Was thinking something similar, especially in regards to Dark Octave's comment.

13. JGOware

Indie Author

I still wonder what's more important in the long run for amazon, the "Amazon Casual Games" branding or the "Reflexive" branding for casual games? Will they both live in harmony forever?

14. Warlock

Original Member

The same things.
    As affiliate revenue ~ -50%
    As developer revenue ~ -50%

15. princec

Indie Author

There's no way James or Russell or anyone else at Reflexive will be happy to watch it turn to shit. If it doesn't start making more money they'll change it, simple as that.

16. Pyabo

Original Member

Slight derailment of thread, but... does anyone else think Amazon's game "store" is a steaming pile? It is just really no good... compare it to a site like Big Fish where they are all about converting eyeballs into sales. They don't even show you screenshots unless you click on the "show all images" link below the title picture.

Works for books... video games? Not so much. I'm willing to bet they're not exactly overflowing with sales. I'm sure it made sense to slot this product into their software the same way everything else is sold, but it just seems so sterile to me. Good thing Reflexive's main site is still around.

To be fair, maybe I'm just used to drowning in graphics on Big Fish's site, or being accosted by screenshots as soon as I click a game link... I certainly do a lot of book shopping on Amazon and I think it's fine there.

17. Andrej Vojtas

Andrej Vojtas New Member

I wondered about the difference between paying on indie sites and Amazon: ease of checkout, perceived security.

With lower prices they go for impulse buying. Lower prices and impulse buying work well on one click checkout platforms (iPhone, XBLA, Steam,...) As far as I know it's extremely easy to checkout for Amazon existing customers.

It could happen Amazon/Reflexive sell well and make more money with the lower price level and affiliate sites with complicated checkouts and lower perceived security don't.

Anyone has a statistics about how many people actually click the Buy button and then give up on filling in the forms?

18. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Yes, that's why I made this thread. So far only BMT is working on that (no surprise, since the other vendors really doesn't seem much interested in listening to any kind of suggestions).

19. Indiepath

Indiepath New Member

Wrong forum .. sorry

20. amaranth

Original Member

I wonder... have the cookies changed at all? Are they only being recognized through Reflexive sales and not through Amazon sales?