Reducing Noise

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by svero, Aug 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wayward

Original Member

I'm in the wrong place.

Crikey!

:eek:

2. GameStudioD

Original Member

Many of us are in the wrong forum!

I couldnt have said it better myself.

3. Gmicek

Original Member

((Edited out. Someone else made the same point))

4. Dan MacDonald

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Well some chit-chat in the "General Chat" forum isn't too bad I suppose. But as I said, that’s just my personal option. Not one that's shared by all the admin/mods and obviously members of this forum. You won't see me taking any actions that crush the community either, because it's kind of too late for that, the forums used to be almost purely a resource, with each poster adding insights from their own indie businesses or experience. Those days are no longer, and the fact is, today it is more of a community with a lot more of the things that you associate with community, chit chat, jokes, sarcastic threads etc.

What I would like to try to do is provide some options for more "Resource" like features at these forums, while preserving the "community" elements that have begun to spring up.

I have to say though, one of the worst things about the "Community" perspective, is for some reason, whenever a community breaks out, people start to compete for post count. Somehow post count is like a form of notoriety, people will post just about any useless one line comment to get their post count up and it generally contributes to a lot of "noise" (As it's quite difficult to say anything valuable in one line, other then express an emotional response or sarcastic comment).

One thing I would like to be a little clearer on, even when the forums were more "Resource" oriented there still was a community. It just didn’t include things like "lol", "haha yeah", or "me too" after someone posted. Members only posted when they had something legitimate to say. Now it seems, people come here to "hang out" and "interact" with their friends. It's a different purpose then what once was, and I honestly feel it makes these forums less professional and more like a bunch of people "just hanging out".

5. bantamcitygames

Administrator Original Member Indie Author Greenlit

After reading further points I have altered my position a bit. I agree with Dan on starting a "Professional Indie" section for only indies that have a published (self or otherwise) game.

With that being said, this also gave me another idea: What if the "published indies" had a Star or some other symbol next to their name on every thread/post. This would make reading the forums much easier for people serious about success. I don't know about everyone else, but when I read these forums (a couple times a day) I get a sense for who the professional (and successful) indies are (svero, retro64, etc) and I put more value on THEIR posts as opposed to the newbie thats trying to tell people what makes a successful game.

Steve, Dan: is there a way to implement such a system with the current software?

6. Air

Air
    Original Member

Dan speaks true. It is the inherent difference between productivity-oriented people and socially-oriented people. Productive people feel that making things is the key to long-term success and reputation. They feel the things they do and the value of their words are the roots of their reputation. Social people believe in marketing themselves, making themselves heard and known, often not for any particular thing they've done or plan to do, but instead for the general act of "contributing to the community." Their concept of "productivity" is... well... saying stuff... writing posts... etc.

My fear is that since the forum is no longer directly associated with Dexterity (a reputable company), people will feel far more leinient in terms of their respect for the value of the forum or the wishes of the moderators. As long as the forum was part of Dexterity there was always this underlying tag of professionalizm that everyone felt-- that the forum was "pretty serious." Now it's just a forum and the whole "this is our community!" aspect will continue to grow even faster than before.

You could always make a members-only forum. By invite only! ;) There are still loads of by-invite-only organizations out there. It's not like taboo. Picking criteria like "only people who have made and/or published a game" is pretty much the same thing anyways. It might seem more fair than hand-picking members in one sense, but might seem a lot less fair in another. Pick your poison. :)

- Air

7. Mike Boeh

Administrator Original Member

For now, we are going to do nothing, there are pros and cons to all the methods discussed so far. If noise becomes too much of a problem, we will re-visit the idea... So I am going to go ahead and close the thread...

-Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.