Recommended controls for a 2D game

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by sangress, Jun 14, 2017.

1. sangress

sangress New Member

Hi,
    I started to work on a 2D top-down game, sort of a dunegeon-crawler/shooter in its layout.
    What will be the recommended controls for such a game?
    I liked "binding of isaac" controls:
    wasd - for movement
    arrows - shooting
    shift - place bomb

But not sure about it.
    What is your opinion about it?
    what is the common/popular controls (keyboard/gamepad) for such games?
    :)

[​IMG]

2. sangress

sangress New Member

3. TheTodd

TheTodd New Member

Well, it's complicated. It's easy to say what the scheme is, but we won't know how it'll play unless we get the chance to play it ourselves.

The movement controls are standard, and you should keep them. The rest we'd just be guessing on.

sangress likes this.
  4. sangress

sangress New Member

That's true, but it's not enough, also need to know what is the common controls for such games. Anyway, I got some other suggestions;
    Use similar controls as "Enter the Dragon" -> keyboard for movement and mouse for aim/shoot, didn't try it yet, but it sounds confusing.
    Another suggestion that someone gave me, is using wasd for movement and the NUMPAD for aim/shoot, this way you have 8 directions to shoot, instead of 4 like in "Binding of Isaac".

5. noahbwilson

Indie Author

Why not make it programmable if you are using the keyboard?

Personally, I like arrows to move, space for main button (attack?), asdf for items/special.

But I know thats not popular.

sangress likes this.
  6. sangress

sangress New Member

That's a good advice, 10x.
    It can be programmable,
    but it also needs to have a convenient default controls, not all gamers like to change key schema
    And IMO the experience is much better when you have convenient controls ready for you and you don't need to change them.

7. noahbwilson

Indie Author

Then go with your gut and leave the option to change the controls for people who are grumpy.

sangress likes this.