Ranks for a game design forum.

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by etali, Mar 30, 2005.

1. etali

Original Member

I'm trying to get a game design forum off the ground - not really any members yet, but hopefully that will eventually change.

I've implemented a cash system which will eventually let users buy things such as custom rank titles / rank graphics. I've called the cash KBs just for a little geek factor.

The rank graphics are AMD logos at the moment.

Now I just need decent rank names. It's a general forum for game designers - has sections about game design in general, stories + characters in games, a few areas about programming, a few sections about actually playing games, and one about graphics - so it's pretty broad in scope.

I've considered programming languages in order of coolness, but then got into an argument with the other mod about if Java was good or not :) considered levels of game difficulty, threw that one out, then thought about stages of development but couldn't think of seven :(

Any ideas anyone?

2. papillon

Indie Author

It seems somehow wrong if you need help with the game design of your game design forum... :)

3. aiosup

Original Member

If I understood correctly you want some list of ranks for your future users. How about this:
    12. Administrator
    11. Transcender (almost admin, but not quite there)
    10. Emperor/Empress
    9. King/Queen
    8. Prince/Princess
    7. Duke/Dutchess
    6. Marquis
    5. Earl
    4. Viscount
    3. Baron
    2. Knight
    1. Freeman
    0. Visitor
    -1. Serf (maybe you need some below 0 levels)

4. etali

Original Member

Hehe, you might have a point there :)

Thing is though, I can come up with ideas for stories and concepts - it's always the details that get me :(

I can come up with ideas for fantastical plots and stories, but the more mundane stuff? nada.

5. ggambett

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I'd use this :

12. Admin
    11. Master of Everything
    10. Ruler of Space and Time
    9. Overlord of the Universe
    8. Emperor of the Galaxy
    7. John Carmack
    6. King of the Solar System
    5. Owner of the Earth
    4. President of the Earth