Ralph Bakshi: Surviving in Tough Times

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by Ratboy, Aug 23, 2008.

1. Ratboy

Original Member

2. Musenik

Original Member

Yeah,

Great find!

It made me feel better about the risk I took. Now my product's success is validating his message. But it ain't easy, like the gnarly man said. Expect to make mistakes and plan to keep yourself motivated in the face of failures.

Otherwise, there's good people working in the industry too. It's not all corporate grind and shit, but yeah there's too much of that. YMMV

3. Backov

Original Member

Pretty damn inspirational.

4. Christian

Original Member

New things to keep people exited, that would be wonderfull in video-games, here we have Spore, and what else?, i am not expecting any other new game really, i play simcity 4 and thats it... thanks a lot for sharing. :)

5. John Cutter

John Cutter New Member

Bakshi's speech was definitely inspirational, but as with most things in life there are always two sides.

In my case, before I joined Big Fish Games (as a Senior Designer/Producer) I was sort of lamenting the fact that, despite my nearly 25 years of experience, I'm too old to "do my own thing". (aka "A daughter in college, three mortgages, and a slew of other financial responsibilities...")

So I took the job at BFG and a few months later I had sort of an amusing revelation. I was thinking to myself, "Boy, if I was independently wealthy I'd hire a small team and make the kinds of games I want... to... Huh..." I'd be doing almost exactly what I'm doing now at Big Fish! Sure, I'm not self-employed, but on the other hand I don't have to worry about paying people, insurance, or any of the other myriad details. I get to focus on making fun games, which is all I've ever really wanted to do.

Guess I'm a pretty lucky guy. :)

6. SteveZ

Indie Author

Not to mention you work with intelligent and fun people in a supportive environment.

I may echo this with some other fulltime game designers - even though I cherish my independence, but sometimes just working alone, without much outside communications, can be tolling.

-Steve Z.

7. electronicStar

Original Member

Yeah if you have a passion for hidden object games and sudoku this is definitely a dream job.

8. John Cutter

John Cutter New Member

Not at all, ElectronicStar...

I happen to *like* hidden object games, by the way, but I've never worked on one. I have the freedom to work on the kinds of games I want to make. So far that list includes:

1. A card game based on my favorite sport. ("Fairway Solitaire")
    2. A puzzle game with a robot host. (I LOVE robots... and puzzles.)
    3. A word game that generates Mad Lib style fortunes.
    4. A funny Match 3 game (not my first genre choice, but I added some twists).
    5. I helped develop a sim called "Farm 51". Farming... with aliens!
    6. A multiplayer gambling game (with 3 minigames).
    7. A riddle game based on an old RPG I designed ("Betrayal at Krondor").
    8. A pirate-based puzzler.
    And more!

Honestly, if I had won the lottery 3 years ago these are the kinds of games I'd be making. I'm a big fan of board games and collectible card games, so I'll probably be making those sometime next year.

You know, I'm not sure why I even posted in this thread last night. I'm certainly not trying to say that it's a bad thing to go Indie, but I see a lot of "big company" bashing on here and I wanted to offer a counterpoint. "Working for the man" is not *always* a negative thing. ;-)

9. electronicStar

Original Member

Point taken. I'm also a fan of boardgames and CCGs.
    Could you influence them a bit more toward post-aopcalyptic board games?:D

10. Cartman

Indie Author

What a great clip. Thanks for sharing.

I have an actual pencil drawing and matching cell from Wizards on my wall down stairs. My wife's not crazy about it but I love it.

Great to hear he's still doing what he loves.

11. Spore Man

Indie Author

It's a great little speech, until he says he spent half a million on one of his latest projects. Kinda throws a wrench in his "hey young guys, just do it!" point.
    :D

12. Ratboy

Original Member

Hey, spending half a mil on your latest project is a goal we should all be striving toward :D

13. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Bring it ON! ;-)

14. AlexWeldon

AlexWeldon New Member

Right... "You don't need tens of millions of dollars to do this! Just four guys working out of your garage. Oh, and a $500,000 budget, but you'll figure that part out."

I'm happy that games don't require quite the budget of a feature-length animated movie. :)

15. Therion

Therion New Member

Oh! You designed betrayal at krondor? is one of my favorites crpgs!

Cheers!

16. zoombapup

Moderator Original Member

What I want to know, is where the hell people get half a million to fund a shitty animated film that has no chance of ever really making a profit??

17. Ratboy

Original Member

:confused:

Same place people get a few million to fund a shitty game that has no chance of every really making a profit?

People with lots of money, I'd imagine.

18. zoombapup

Moderator Original Member

Actually, in the UK they often get government funding (or match funding, or security funding), gives me a bit of an axe to grind because small game devs get sod all.

19. Jamie W

Original Member Indie Author

Sod all ... apart from taxed left, right and centre ... and oh for the joys of the rising cost of living here in the UK.

:confused:

20. lordmetroid

lordmetroid New Member

But you get such wonderful services such as those of a police state for your taxes, don't you feel appreciated?