R.I.P. Shawn Noel 1988 - 2006

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by stanchat, Jan 21, 2006.

1. stanchat

Indie Author

One of the up and coming game designers has passed away at the tender age of 17yrs. I met Shawn last year when I approached him to buy the rights to MiniGolf Pro.

Shawn was one of the most talented game designers around and had a very bright future ahead of him. His latest game Street Bike Fury is available at his website.

This comes as a complete shock to me. I had been inudated with emails the last two days about whether this was true or not and I refused to speculate one way or the other until it was officially confirmed. The apparent cause of death appears to be suicide.

JournalStar Obituary

R.I.P. Shawn Noel 1988 - 2006

2. kimkallstrom1

Original Member

3. soniCron

Indie Author

Jeeze. That's a really telling interview.

4. David De Candia

Original Member

It's all very sad. Thanks for posting this.

5. Sirrus

Original Member

Man, that sure is a telling interview. Really sad stuff there.

6. Bmc

Bmc New Member

from playing his games it's obvious the kid had some talent, it's too bad he couldn't get the help he needed before he resorted to suicide

7. Christian

Original Member

OOhh noooou, what bad news, i remember him years ago when we where on the game maker forums, and he was really growing as a game designer, he really had a future...its a real shame, what a shock...

8. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

I think what's really creepy is interview is dated 1/17/2006, and the obituary is dated 1/18/2006. :confused:

I wouldn't want to be the interviewer right now.

9. papillon

Indie Author

I don't think that interview date is accurate though. It talks about Street Bike Fury as not yet released, but he released that game on Jan 3rd. It may simply have taken them a while to get around to printing the interview.

10. g666

Original Member

That is really tragic.

11. DangerCode

Original Member

Suicide at 17? That's awful. Things certainly can seem bleak at that age.

My thoughts are with his friends and families.

12. Kestral

Original Member

That poor kid :-(

13. moshboy

Original Member

I am the guy that did the interview. Yes your right the date on the interview is not accurate. Oddly enough it was actually published somewhere in the range of one to two months ago or so. Not long ago I had some trouble with my site and lost a lot of data, hence I had to get some stuff out of an old back-up. This means I had to 'replublish' almost all my interviews, hence the innacurate dates.

It is very sad that he did this. I knew he sounded rather depressed in the interview and sent him a couple of encouraging follow-up e-mails, just telling him how awesome I thought his games were and stuff. Never knew he was feeling bad enough to committ suicide though. He will be sorely missed - he was a nice kid.

14. AVataRR

Original Member

omg... such a tragic waste. I've been a huge fan of his ever since I came accross Rampage 2. I'll miss him.

15. sparkyboy

Original Member

Unfortunately we are not all psychologists who are able to read between the lines and see what's really going on inside someones head!!!!!!!!!:(

17 years old.......Jeez.........makes my problems over the past 6 months or so pale into insignificance compared to the loss of such a young and obviously talented young man.

Just shows ya guys..............bless every morning that appears, because life is certainly way,way too short!!!!!!

All the best

Mark.

16. Anatoly

Original Member

Strange, but when I've read the interview from tigsource.com I knew what he felt like! Probably because that's exactly how I feel!!! I've been reading it and I thught - it's just like if I wrote it! I'm a little older - I'm 19... But he is obviously is more talanted - he finished his games while I couldn't make anything in the last 3 years! So he did commit suicide after all... I was close. I even did a farewell cartoon based on the song "Mad World" (it can be seen on my website), but I could never find a way to go that would fit. I guess nothing is quick and painless... Anyway, he definetly was a very talented independent game maker and it is a big loss for a community. Hope he is better where he is now.

17. kimkallstrom1

Original Member

Suicide is never the answer to anything. Everyone just feels sorry to hear that Shawn threw his life away, especially when he had so much to live for.

18. Fabio

Original Member

I really wanted to not post for a matter of respect towards Shawn.. but I really feel I have to, this time:
    How could nowhere be better?
    Death will come by itself, sooner or later. I can think only of very few reasons why it should be better to make it come sooner. Shawn's misluck was primarily of being an adolescent. I recall 17 being the very worst period of my life, and I too came close to kill myself (I was very consciously reckless with my motorbike, etc.. I made things with it I cannot believe today). So many things can change in your life in 5 years.. that never one should think it's time to end it. I can only imagine it being an option for people who have terminal cancer, zero hopes and in perspective only more pain, etc.. Shawn was certainly a very unhappy fellow, but I think his life may have been ok++ in ten years. Too bad he won't have the chance to prove himself wrong. So, please, Anatoly, since you can, wait and see..

#18 Fabio, Jan 25, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2006
  19. papillon

Indie Author

Oh, come *on*. Don't we have enough problems on this board without getting into a flamewar about the existence-or-not of an afterlife? :)

20. Savant

Original Member

Please don't do that. This thread doesn't deserve to be dragged off into religious debate land.