Qwak - Pay Whatever You Want - Sale

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Jamie W, Jan 16, 2010.

1. princec

Indie Author

Great stats.

I can't believe those tards paying 1p for the game. You should probably have used a dropdown list box of $1 increments; I reckon nearly all of those 1p sales would have been $1 instead.

Cas :)

2. JarkkoL

JarkkoL New Member

How did this offer impact your sales numbers after you closed the offer? Do you get now more or less sales than before the offer?

3. Jack Norton

Indie Author

Yes I would have put "minimum $1". I'm sure ALL those 0.01$ would have been $1 too.

4. cliffski

Moderator Original Member

I agree. if you wiped out everyone paying under £1, you lose out £2.40 in sales.
    If that was set at a min of £1 and just 2% of them had converted higher, you would have earned an extra £4.80 from them.
    In other words, telling 98% of the cheap-asses to sod off would still mean more money.

I suspect there is nobody who actually paid £0.01 who would not have paid £0.05. The problem is that stops it being 'pay what you want' and adds a disclaimer, but who would complain about a minimum £0.05?

5. Jamie W

Original Member Indie Author

Hope the stats are useful, for anyone else considering something like this!

A minimum of anything less than about 30p, wouldn't really make a difference. PayPal takes a flat amount + a percentage in their fees, so for low amounts, PayPal gets the lot. Not sure what the situation with BMT or Plimus is?

A £1 minimum price had crossed my mind, but then yeah, it wouldn't be a pay what you want sale anymore; it would be a "pay what you want, as long as it's £1 or above and you're not a cheep-ass free-loader sale". Maybe as a marketing device, that would be even more unusual, and more effective?..

The other thing about the less than a £1 people, well, a few of the can be a bit ungrateful and mean spirited, and leave profanities on your high-score tables. So there's an issue, of the quality of person you're allowing in to your community (assuming you're trying to build a welcoming and friendly space for your customers to interact).

6. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Or "Pick your own price"

When presented with a list of prices, they couldn't moan that you're breaking the faith with your advertising.

7. cliffski

Moderator Original Member

Even cheapskates would feel pretty crap about moaning that there isn't a 'less than a dollar' option.
    I hope...

8. ragdollsoft

Original Member

The ardour project ( http://ardour.org/ ) manages to make some decent money out of "pay what you want". If you pay 0 you get a somewhat limited application, otherwise you must pay a minimum $1.

The guy disloses his monthly profit at http://ardour.org/support

9. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Ha classic! I think it could work :)

Great stats, thanks for sharing. Do you mind if I link to your blog post (and this thread) via my blog?

10. Desktop Gaming

Its not really fair to call people 'tards' for paying what they want in a 'pay what you want' sale. You wouldn't go into Tesco and see a 'pay what you want for bread' offer*, and pay the full 'regular' price out of sheer moral obligation, would you? Because I wouldn't, I'd take a trolley full for 1p each.

Now, if you said to them 'pay what you think its worth', and they paid 1p, then yes, the 'tard' label might be slightly more applicable. If something is only worth 1p to you, then you might as well just not have it because you put so little value on it anyway.

* Not that they'd ever do this, its just for example.

11. Indinera

Moderator Indie Author

Do you think just using this formulation instead:

'pay what you think its worth'

would result in a higher average price?

12. Jamie W

Yeah, of course you can Jake; it'd be mucho apprecieated! :)

I'm intending on adding another post too, with a few more stats, and thoughts etc.

13. Grey Alien

Indie Author

Nice one Kamie W, thanks. I look forward to seeing more stats and your thoughts.

14. Desktop Gaming

Yes. Perhaps not a vast increase but I think it would be higher. Plus you get to call those who pay 1p "tards" :D

15. Jamie W