Qwak - Pay Whatever You Want - Sale

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Jamie W, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Jamie W

Original Member Indie Author

Jumping on the band-wagon here (eg: World of Goo, Crayon Physics, Immortal Defence etc), and announcing the Qwak Pay Whatever You Want Sale..

Qwak normally sells for £12.99, but for 1 week (ending 22nd of Jan) you can get this little gem for as much or as little as you like.

Check it out here: http://www.qwak.co.uk/pages/buy/

I've also announced this on my blog: http://www.jamiewoodhouse.co.uk/2010/01/pay-what-you-want-sale/

By the way, I re-vamped my site too: http://www.jamiewoodhouse.co.uk

And I'm on twitter too now: http://twitter.com/indiegamedev

Please tell all your friends about this offer; on twitter, facebook, any forums you go on, or anywhere else you think appropriate. I’ll post some feedback and statistics here, as the sale goes along. Okay, have fun, and enjoy the game!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Blue Cow Games

Blue Cow Games New Member

Great! I was a big fan of the Amiga version. Qwak and Sensible Soccer were my favourite Amiga games. Will buy the game shortly when I decide if I will buy the Mac or the PC version.

3. Jamie W

Awesome! Many thanks for your support. :)

4. Jamie W

Flippin' Heck, this is going ballistic! :D

If anyone else is doing this kind of promotion at the moment; please let me know; I'm getting a crazy amount of traffic at the moment, and it would be a SERIOUSLY awesome idea to do a mutually beneficial cross-promotion.

Any takers?

5. Reactor

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Darn, I have a lot to play at the moment, but... very tempting...

6. LineOf7s

Original Member

I've bought so much cheap stuff over the holidays via the Steam sales that I ran out of download quota before I could get half of it.

Nevertheless, Qwak-for-a-fiver was a no-brainer. The kids will enjoy the two-player mode, and hopefully I can do a lil better at it than I did on the Amiga (it certainly seems a lil more polished).

Those falling spikes can still go straight to Hell though. ;)

7. JGOware

Indie Author

Congrats! You mentioned before you've had a hard time finding the right marketing niche for this game, looks like you found it! Le'ts hope it lasts. This is really a nice game. A tad harder than it looks, but seriously fun. :)

8. electronicStar

Original Member

Looks like promo sales are one of the best marketing tools for indie devs :)

9. AlexWeldon

AlexWeldon New Member

I'm a sucker for such sales. Every time one's been announced here, I've gone and grabbed the game for 2$ if it's something I hadn't heard of/wasn't interested in, or 5$ if it was something I was kind of thinking about getting anyway. I suspect a lot of others are the same (though the amount they pay presumably varies).

I wonder if this is a technique that's sustainable, or whether consumers will eventually go back to only buying games they really want once the novelty of such sales wears off. Also, whether it would negatively impact full-price sales if such sales became standard, and too many customers began to buy year-old stuff for a buck or two, instead of the just-released stuff.

10. JGOware

Indie Author

Yah, I'd like to see if this could be sustainable as a permanent method of sales income. I'm starting to wonder if the whole "pay what you want" is sending a nice big subliminal "no pressure" message to customers and causing them to not do the typical "is it worth it, do I really need this, can I get it cheaper on another site, etc, etc". :confused:

11. RiVEN

Original Member

Short term it's a sale and people love sales! Long term and it's just donation-ware, which has proven to be a waste of time for most in the past. It'd be interesting to see at what point traffic and / or sales slump. After a week? after 2 weeks... ? maybe Jamie could extend the sale period to see?

Nice to see this is doing well so far though. I loved the Amiga version and remember playing this and New Zealand Story. I'm tempted to get it but I have way too much to do!

12. Pallav Nawani

Indie Author

That's happened for me already. I have about 30+ games that I have bought and haven't touched, so I am only going to buy games that really interest me. Steam & D2D had a holidays promotion going around Jan 1 this year, and I successfully resisted the urget to buy a lot of uneccessary games :)

Retail outlets have been doing this for years. Here in Dehradun (India) clothing outlets are having a sale right now. So I suppose done in moderation, this is good for the business.

13. Jamie W

I really need to do a press-release for this! (yeah I know, I should have sorted this before going live with the sale).

I've contacted game-producer, but struggling to get a response from them; can anyone recommend anyone else? to do a quick press-release?

Things had settled down a bit now; I keep getting a really big spike in traffic, as someone put me on a major UK based deals website (where you can vote deals hot or cold); but the site admin keeps taking the thread down, apparently, they're discriminating against people who have domains registered to a UK individual, I guess, rather than being registered to a corporate entity etc. I'm trying to get them to clarify the situation for me, but pretty much being ignored by them.

God I love this country!! :S

I'm going to do some development work now; will also do a proper post once the week is up, and report my findings, hopefully will be or use/interest to some of you. :)

Thanks once again for all your support.

14. AlexWeldon

AlexWeldon New Member

I've done press releases for people here in the past, and everyone's always been happy with the results. I charge by the word, but it usually comes out to around $50-75. My writing will be more personalized and punchier than what you get from one of these press release services (especially now that I've been playing and enjoying the game myself!) - however, I don't have the connections they do... so it depends on whether you're looking for the writing + distribution, or are going to send it around yourself.

15. Jamie W

Hi Alex,

I'd need the distribution more so, than getting someone to write it for me; but that's something I'd consider too, especially if I'm getting good distribution (which would justify getting a really good press release written up).

Any suggestions for distribution?

16. AlexWeldon

AlexWeldon New Member

There are lots of distribution services, many of which offer an option to write the PR for you as well as distribute it. My suspicion is that you'll probably end up with something pretty formulaic if you go that route, although it'd be cheaper than hiring me or another writer to write the thing, and then someone else to distribute it... but given that the difference in cost would probably only be something like $30, if it's likely to get you onto an extra site or two, it's worth it.

As for which service to go with, I can't offer any advice - everyone who's come to me to write PRs either does their own distribution or had a service lined up... either way, it was never discussed with me, I just wrote it and they took it from there. However, I've seen it come up in a number of threads, so I'm sure someone else can tell you which services they've had good/bad results with.

17. rebelcoder

rebelcoder New Member

I put a link to your buy page on my blog, good luck!

18. Jamie W

Just quickly wanted to announce that the sale ended this morning, and I've posted some stats on my blog, if anyone's interested, check em out here:

http://www.jamiewoodhouse.co.uk/blog/

Wasn't massive sales; but thanks for everyone who bought the game, and also to everyone offering advice etc.

It's been a very good learning experience for me (stuff I did right, stuff I didn't do so well etc). I have a *lot* to learn about indie game marketing, and hopefully I will..

But for now, I just really feel like I want to just back in to development.

Thanks once again,
    Jamie. :)

19. ragdollsoft

Original Member

Apparently the "right" price is $0.01!
    Jeez, you proved that some 90% of the interwebs are jerks.