Question [copyright on game design document]

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by Fenrir Fenris, May 26, 2009.

1. luggage

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

err. Wouldn't it still be easy to fake? Just mail a blank cd to yourself leaving the envelope unsealed. Burn a fresh cd with your computer clock back dated, pop it into the envelope and seal it. Voila, one sealed and dated envelope with a cd in it that's also back dated. Of course, you could always do the same with paper, just put a set of blank A4 in instead of a cd.

Is there any cases where poor man's copyright has stood up to scrutiny?

Would just like to add, according to a selection of websites you have to register your copyright in the US before you can bring a case anyway so 'poor man's copyright' really is valueless.

#21 luggage, May 28, 2009
    Last edited: May 28, 2009
  2. Jim B

Jim B New Member

This is why I have repeatedly stated that a poor man's copyright is not a substitute for registration.

But in the case of an infringement suit, there will be numerous facts needed to be proved, including time of creation. And, while a registered copyright creates a presumption of proof, it can always be refuted. Thus, the poor man's copyright (IF SUCCESSFULLY CONVINCING) can help to prove the time of creation.

3. vjvj

Indie Author

Dude, no need to apologize. It's all useful info and we appreciate your expertise here.

4. Andrej Vojtas

Andrej Vojtas New Member

The send to yourself idea comes from a video from an organization dedicated to copyright law: http://www.own-it.org/: IP advice for creative people.

There is quite a lot of info there for anyone knowledge hungry.

5. Fenrir Fenris

Fenrir Fenris New Member

All i hear about is the US, it's as if people within the united states assume every other country is either low teck or doesn't play games? xD

6. luggage

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I'm from and based in the UK. :)

I used the US as it would be fair to say there's a lot of people there and it would be hard to have a broad discussion about something like copyright if we had to take into account every single countries take on the law.

7. Qitsune

Qitsune New Member

When we first set up our company, one of the first things we did was to contact the Canadian Intellectual Property Office. Their answer was:" Mailing stuff to yourself is completely useless." So I wouldn't know about the US, but here, I wouldn't rely on that. On the other hand, you can register many pieces of work at once by putting many different works on the same support (say, a dvd) and filling the paperwork correctly. So an artist could register all his art for 2009, say, by putting it all on the same dvd and pay the fee once.

http://www.cipo.ic.gc.ca

8. vjvj

Indie Author

You didn't specify which country's laws you were interested in, and you don't have your location listed in your AV, so what are we supposed to do? Guess? We gave you answers based on what we are experienced with; there are a lot of Americans on this board, so expect lots of American answers until you give us more information.

We're trying our best to help you, there's no need to start making sweeping and insulting generalizations about us in the process.