Question about Copyrighted Work

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by FusedZero, Jul 5, 2013.

1. FusedZero

FusedZero New Member

I am currently working on a game and was wondering if anybody here knew a thing or two about copyright. A quest/mission I am using (I want to use) in the game is called "Skyfall". Is it legal to use this name? I think I already know the answer, but I just thought I'd check. Thanks in advance.

2. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

How about an adjusted version, "Skyfall Zero"

3. FusedZero

FusedZero New Member

Does that make it okay? I'm really stupid when it comes to law.

4. lennard

I'm a programmer/designer so best to do some more research. That said, yeah, I think so as long as you aren't trying to make a game that looks like images they have copyright.

There's only so many names to go round.

5. lennard

6. HarryBalls

HarryBalls New Member

The following answer is copyrighted:

"talk to a lawyer."

:)

Seriously, you may want to post the question on a Game Dev Linkedin group because I guarantee there's at least on IP lawyer amongst the membership who will respond.

7. Spore Man

Indie Author

First of all, learn the difference between Copyright and Trademarks. You can't copyright a name. You can trademark a name. So research "trademarks".