PuppyGames.net New Web Site

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by Omega, Jan 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Omega

Original Member

Visit puppygames.net for princec's new web site! WOW I'm jealous! You just need to add instructions for people whose browsers didn't load the java, on how to do it. I love it!

It's great how you dissed Steve, saying "what does he know, he's not the god of indie development, and he quit," when your web site, the guarantee, etc are all inspired by Dexterity Software.... :confused:

#1 Omega, Jan 6, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2005
  2. Wayward

Original Member

PuppyGames look great.

I wouldn't of compared PuppyGames to Dexterity though. I find PuppyGames simple, slick, tidy, and scannable, while to me Dexterity is an ugly clutter of text and pitch that turns me off (sorry, Steve. Not to my tastes.). I reckon the PuppyGames website style is closer to Retro64 or PopCap.

Cas, I'm not sure your OpenAL, OpenGL, and Java badges at the bottom of the webpage would serve any purpose in your customers eyes. They probably don't do much harm either, but ditching them would reduce page size.

#2 Wayward, Jan 6, 2005
  3. Ricardo C

Original Member

Yes indeed. Dexterity seems to succeed despite the site design. I like the Puppygames look. Very sleek and modern, without suffering from the overkill so many other sites do, nor looking as utilitarian as some indie sites do.

Oh and I finally beat Puppy Invaders on this visit :D Looking forward to the fullscreen version :D

4. princec

Indie Author

All hail Chaz, master of Web-skullduggery. Although some of the anal content is rather heavily based on Dexterity (it's amazing just how few visits all those boring pages get...), the actual design was deliberately more "Retro64". We took a look at the indie sites that were doing well and selling games, and decided that Retro64's basic layout was the best place to start from. Everything on Retro64's site is geared towards either getting you to download or getting you to buy.

Good point about the AL/GL/Java logos, although we do try and support the free technologies upon which our products are based. We'll probably add links to a few affiliates down there too though so the page isn't likely to shrink even if we do remove them.

There's a lot of changes yet to be made to the site but it's pretty nice so far.

Cas :)

5. SunAndGames

Original Member

I wouldn't call it great. I often wondered, why some find it necessary to take shots at highly successful people. I guess it makes the shooter seem a little more important. Odd, that I don't remember anyone taking cheap shots at Steve when these forums were hosted by Dexterity.

6. halodrake

Original Member

For the same reason you don't walk into somebody's house and punch him in the nose, even if he deserves it.

I can't seem to find this *cheap shot* taken at Dex software. Where is it at?

7. princec

Indie Author

I've never taken a cheap shot at Steve Pavlina. I just like to point out that success according to my own criteria was mainly based on his ability to spin rather than his indie games. In fact, he's more or less quit, and he's got a whole new business based on what he's best at. Which is telling!

8. GBGames

Indie Author

I guess I'm confused. The site looks this same. Was there some subtle change recently? I know it drastically changed many weeks ago.

9. george

Original Member

me too, i don't notice any changes... they must be talking about how it used to look. however, i did notice that princec finally put some real error checking on his games. it finally says something like "this game hasn't properly initialized and will exit now, please contact support" rather than just going to a black screen and exiting...

princec, you are getting there. slowly but shirley ;-)

10. Ricardo C

Original Member

There haven't been any changes that I can see. I think Omega weas just setting up his punchline re: Cas' perceived "diss" of Steve P.

11. papillon

Indie Author

(Personally, I still find the new website slightly annoying - Stupid java applets lag me up forever if they don't crash my browser! But when it *does* actually work, then my brain can finally go "Oooh, game" and play the silly shooty thing.)

12. Sirrus

Original Member

I don't really agree with the statement about taking a cheap shot at Steve either...

We can all be honest - Dexterity.com is not the best looking site. It obviously works with his audience, but I would share the same opinion if he continued to host this forum. You can't say his site is clean and slick.

This isn't a cheap shot at all.

13. luggage

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I don't see anything wrong with Dexterity's site personally. A big list of games, shortcuts to each down the one side, a way of looking at individual genres.. everything a user needs to click on is there.

simple is good. less thing for the consumer to get confused with.

14. princec

Indie Author

That's been in, unchanged, since late 2003...

15. princec

Indie Author

I like dexterity.com too. I just prefer retro64.com's look and feel.

16. Omega

Original Member

I agree with you on both counts. That's why I posted why I posted. I was sarcastic when I said it was 'great' to rip on people while ripping them off.

17. ggambett

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

An important distinction : Steve didn't quit, he was so fucking hugely successful that he retired - that means Dexterity is so self-sufficient, so automated, that he just doesn't even have to work on it, Dexterity keeps financing his lifestyle, his new career, and his very costly pastimes (he LIVES in Las Vegas!!!). An indie's (and any kind of businessman's) dream, if you ask me.

18. Omega

Original Member

That, too. This is the kind of crap many people here are sick of:

Exhibit A

And of course,

Exhibit B

#18 Omega, Jan 6, 2005
  19. george

Original Member

really? when i tried the game a week or so ago, it would open a black screen and then exit (the pc i was trying it on has a crappy old video card driver that doesn't support 3d/opengl/direct3d in NT). now when i run it on that same pc, instead of going to a black screen it gives me a nice message box...

no changes, are you sure?

20. GBGames

Indie Author

Perhaps Cas can spin off a company: Shove-it-up-your-arse Games B-)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.