Pull My Tongue [WiP, one-man-project]

Discussion in 'Feedback Requests' started by Zilk, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Zilk

Zilk New Member

One year ago I started working on a little idea I had and at the same time learn how to code in C#. So I have made everything in this game myself but am gonna have someone else do sounds and music. Before this I worked at Visual Dreams as the sole artist on games such as Herman the Hermit, Linkies Puzzle Rush and Slam Dunk Basketball. So I was used to Unity but not coding.

Anyway to the game, it is a simple puzzle game for mobile devices that is heavily inspired by games such as Cut the Rope, Pudding Monsters etc. The goal is to drag the chameleons (Greg) tongue through all the stars to the popcorn. I'm just gonna post some screens and gifs so you guys get the idea.

Main Menu
    [​IMG]

World Select
    [​IMG]

Ingame Screenshot
    [​IMG]

Ingame Screenshot 2
    [​IMG]

Endscreen
    [​IMG]

Greg Interaction
    [​IMG]

Gregs animation rig
    [​IMG]

I'm gonna post development in this thread to get feedback at a regular basis, hope that is fine :)

Thanks for reading!
    //David

Rekusi likes this.
  2. Zilk

Zilk New Member

I finished up some character interactions today. Now you can scratch his back, poke both eyes and pull on his tail. Just for shits and giggles :)

[​IMG]

3. Zilk

Zilk New Member

Continued working on some animations that have been missing. Still have some effects and tweaks left but here is a work-in-progress of when Greg gets a little to close to the zappers :)

Please forgive the heavy gif banding..

[​IMG]

4. Zilk

Zilk New Member

The finished Zapped animation with effects. I think it ended up quite nice

#4 Zilk, Aug 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  5. nkm-fc

nkm-fc New Member

Wow.. great artwork!

#5 nkm-fc, Aug 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  6. Zilk

Zilk New Member

I have for a long time felt that the tongue was too stiff before the player starts pulling the tongue. I never figured out how to fix it though, but tonight I got a flash and fixed it in 10 minutes :D

[​IMG]

To the small victories!

7. lumis

lumis New Member

Very nice work, especially as a one man team!

May I ask what you are using to animate?

The artwork, as said, is great. Definitely feels like the games you've mentioned, keeps to that lighthearted and playful feel. One thing I would say is the, uh, chameleon? Greg, the style of his art seems different and inconsistent with the rest of the game. I don't know, it may be just me, but he stands out for some reason. As if he belongs to another game and was stuck into this one? A friend of mine was passing by as I was viewing this thread, and one of the first comments he said was that the character also seemed a bit different than the rest of the background.

Regardless, I like his design and animations a lot! The electric shock animation is awesome.

8. Zilk

Zilk New Member

I'm animating in Autodesk Maya. It's actually a 3D mesh but as 2D planes.

That could actually be true, the character style is a little different than the backgrounds. I think the rendering is a little different actually. Not sure if I think it's a bad or a good thing though, looking at old Disney cartoons for instance the character stand out from the backgrounds for a reason. Gotta think about it but thank you for the feedback :)

9. lumis

lumis New Member

Ah, very cool. Now I see, missed the animation rig image from above, there's that Maya interface ha.

You said you're using C# so this is for iOS I presume? Any plans on bringing it over to Android?

10. Zilk

Zilk New Member

It's built in Unity so I'm gonna release for Android as well, just not at launch I think. Gotta implement the Google Play Services for achievements and such so that will have to wait until after launch.

11. SLSinOZ

SLSinOZ New Member

Like the look of this a lot - looking forward to the game!

12. Zilk

Zilk New Member

Working on levels creation right now so not much to post updates about. I however made a little gif showing the creation of Greg from sketch to animated ingame, just for fun :)

[​IMG]

13. lennard

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Fun looking character, hope your game does well for you.

14. Zilk

Zilk New Member

lennard: Thanks! :)

I added a new puzzle element today so I can build a bit more varied puzzles. The gum, it can hold the tongue so players can do other stuff. With this I can build puzzles in several "stages".
    [​IMG]

And the first level that will introduce it, gonna add a simple tutorial text but you get the point. The button activates the slider so it can be adjusted, therefor the tongue needs to hold it down with the help of the gum.
    [​IMG]

15. Zilk

Zilk New Member

I'm still working on level design and is therefor bumping into puzzle elements that needs to be improved and extended along the way. Yesterday I added a locked state to sliders so they can be activated with buttons.

[​IMG]

16. Zilk

Zilk New Member

It's been a little slow since last update. I haven't finished anything visual but mostly extra things such as implementing plugins and made more levels. I did however finish the icon for the 3rd world, the bedroom.

#screenshotsaturday
    [​IMG]

17. ArtIntell

ArtIntell New Member

18. Zilk

Zilk New Member

Finished up the 5th worlds icon and background as well. Only one icon and background left and that whole thing is done :)

[​IMG]

19. Zilk

Zilk New Member

I added timed stars so now I'm gonna start designing a few levels with those.

[​IMG]

20. lumis

lumis New Member

Awesome to see so much progress, still can't wait to just finally be able to play it ha.

Question, as someone learning on creating a game, what frame rate is your game at? For example a basic idle animation, how many fps is it?

Or like in this timed star circle animation, how many frames for that?