publish from banned countries

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by mojtaba, May 23, 2009.

1. mojtaba

mojtaba New Member

hi
    Is there any problem to publish a game from banned countries ( like Iran ) ?
    will portals accept a game if its from banned countries ?
    I appreciate it if someone answer me ...

2. Executrix

Executrix New Member

On August 19, 1997, the President signed Executive Order 13059 clarifying
    Executive Orders 12957 and 12959 and confirming that virtually all trade and
    investment activities with Iran by U.S. persons, wherever located, are
    prohibited.

Criminal penalties for violations of the Iranian Transactions Regulations may
    result in a fine up to $1,000,000, and natural persons may be imprisoned for up
    to 20 years. Civil penalties, which are not to exceed the greater of $250,000 or
    an amount that is twice the amount of the transaction that is the basis of the
    violation with respect to which the penalty is imposed may also be imposed
    administratively.

http://www.treas.gov/offices/enforcement/ofac/programs/iran/iran.shtml
    http://www.treas.gov/offices/enforcement/ofac/programs/ascii/iran.txt

In short: if you live in Iran no one will do business with you.

3. Acord

Acord New Member

Read the language carefully though - non-commercial items may be acceptable.

4. Shaz

Moderator Original Member

Of course, there is a "rest of the world" that doesn't live by the US President's say-so :rolleyes:
    (sorry, I couldn't help myself)

You might not make much more than pocket money out of them though ;)

5. Fenrir Fenris

Fenrir Fenris New Member

The rest of the world as in the entire middle east, europ, australia, asia?

You know, the amount of the world whos population is double that of america xD you wont make much money there?

i think if everone is workin in america's path ways, it might be a big whole in the busyness for those who want to take busyness elsewhere, i may be wrong :p

6. Ciardhubh

Ciardhubh New Member

How about selling the rights to your game (for royalties, flat fee, etc.) to - or make a publishing deal with - someone in another country, to handle US distribution for you?

You could approach European, South American, Asian, etc. developers and ask them if they would publish the game under their company/name or buy the rights to it. That is, if it's legal in their country and they consider the game good enough. Of course that puts you in a position where you have to trust them and they most likely won't do it for free.

7. Spiegel

Spiegel New Member

How about making a company in a US-friendly neighboor of Iran... It wont help in the long run because the US will probably declare war against it in the next Republican Government, but until then you would be safe.

OR... Sell your game in all of the countries that actually dont give a flying crap about US commercial restrictions (a.k.a. the rest of the sane world).

BTW, I like the US, I just don't like some of their foreign policies.

8. mojtaba

mojtaba New Member

thank you .
    as I have thought , I can't contact with portals directly .
    for release a game it's not necessary to make a company so I think the best way is to find someone honest ( some friend's relative ... ) in other country and send game to portals by him/her ...

What's my mistake that I was born here ?!!

9. Morgan Ramsay

Morgan Ramsay New Member

I'm just speculating. According to the sanctions overview, "information or informational materials" of Iranian origin are permitted imports. Such materials "are defined to include publications, films, posters, phonograph records, photographs, microfilms, microfiche, tapes, compact disks, CD ROMs, artworks, and news wire feeds". Video games probably qualify as informational material given that they are treated as protected speech in the US.

10. Bad Sector

Original Member

Are all portals in US ?

11. electronicStar

Original Member

There are iranian movies made by iranians shown in theaters around here in europe. Aren't they played in USA?
    Maybe there is a derogation for "cultural" material.

12. arcadetown

Moderator Original Member

Being US we absolutely cannot do direct business with someone from a banned country and suspect no other US based business would try it either. Unclear if would be legally ok if that person used a publisher from a 3rd country where was ok to do business from both places, but I suspect many would err on the side of caution. Jail is no fun after all.

13. Acord

Acord New Member

[cynic]

Bah - there are great American movies made by Americans that aren't shown in the USA. Frankly, if some corporate cog doesn't feel 100% certain it'll be a big seller or a huge PR victory, then they won't touch it. Art for art's sake in this country is treated like crap by 95% of the population, because it's considered frivolous, gay, and unethical to pay attention to anything but your job, your family, and whatever crap the nightly news is feeding you.

[/cynic]

Again though - the key word in the embargo phraseology is "commercial". Released for free, it becomes informational material reflective of the times and the culture within the country.

In works of fiction, it is said that more is revealed about the author than about the subject matter. So the subject matter can be said to be unimportant - the things on the author's mind and the things that affect their environment will bleed through no matter what.

For a rather famous example of that, check out Heinlein's "Starship Troopers". Is it science fiction or a story told from the perspective of nazis near the end of World War II in Europe?