Public domain art links

Discussion in 'Indie Basics' started by Dean Avanti, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Dean Avanti

Original Member

I want to do a few small games, small projects that are done under a week, for such small games I don't want to spend money I don't have too, I thought a way for indies to get some no cost artwork would be art that is in the public domain, copyright unless extended lasts 70 years in most countries, so if an artist has died before 1937 there is a good chance the copyright has expired.

So a potential source of free artwork to use, popular themes would be horror fantasy science fiction, does anyone have any good links to public domain artwork, or artwork that has no copyright or is free to use, or just willing artists that allow their work to be used. or even knows of any good artists that have died prior to 1937 that could be a source of artwork for the indie developer.

2. Bad Sector

Original Member

I offer the art from Nikwi for free. The license is rather liberal:

So you can and you're encouraged to use these pixels :). I did this as a promotional move for me when i wasn't working in the company i work now, so feel free to ignore (for now) the part about contacting me for paid pixelling :).

PS. I'm not dead.

3. papillon

Indie Author

who was that fellow who posted a handful of very nice looking free tilesets here on occasion? whenever they come up I make vague plans to build an RPG and then never do...

4. Dean Avanti

Original Member

I was thinking more on picture art, as in paintings drawings, etc, stuff you could use for box art or in the menu, not icons, but art, as in pictures.

5. luggage

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

You could maybe try http://forums.cgsociety.org/. Browse the forums and see if you there's anything you like the look of and just try dropping an email to the artist to see if you can use it. They might not mind and could well want the exposure. Worth a try.

6. Mark Sheeky

Indie Author

Just to state that old artworks might be copyright free but not free to reproduce prints, photos etc. from the original. Reproduction Rights for Van Gogh's Starry Night are held by the The Bridgeman Art Library for example. You'd need to apply for a reproduction licence if you wanted to use a gallery owned image in a jigsaw game or box art etc.

Mark

7. Qitsune

Qitsune New Member

Exactly, since the photographs made of the pieces of art are NOT royalty free. Just like Beethoven's music may be royalty free but not the recording you happen to have.

8. BojZ

Original Member

Great free ISO graphics resource

Hi guys,

I guess the link has been posted on the forum before, but still, maybe this will help someone, lots of good graphics to get you started on your RPG, all free to use.

http://reinerstileset.4players.de/