PTK support, and recompliling the libraries

Discussion in 'Game Development (Technical)' started by indiemaker, Jan 22, 2007.

1. indiemaker

Original Member

Has anyone tried to rebuild the PTK libraries using the source? I don't think we have the complete source files to do it.

I tried emailing patrick about this but I haven't heard anything.

One of the things I've learned is that there isn't much support of PTK on the PTK messageboard, or through email through Patrick.

2. Bad Sector

Original Member

Well, i haven't used or seen PTK, but from what i've read from these boards, i can say that PTK is one of the most well-supported frameworks.

3. indiemaker

Original Member

Maybe that's true a year ago, but right now, their message board is very dead. People are asking questions, but there are hardly any answers.

4. indiemaker

Original Member

And I have found numerous features that are missing across all functions. For example, scaling is correctly done on one function, but is incorrectly done on the others. So if I want to scale a non-Alpha sprite, it will scale incorrectly and differently from the alpha blit function.

This is why I wanted to re-compile the libraries but I don't think we've been given the entire source code.

5. gringo

Original Member

what do you mean by differently? what does each do?

6. indiemaker

Original Member

scaling is not centered on all functions except one. so when you scale, the bug causes it to scale from the origin of 0,0 instead of the center.

i found a lot of bugs in this api, and patrick has NOT been helpful.

And the worst part is, I am not sure we can recompile the source because it looks incomplete. And if you can't recompile, then what good is the source for?

I wish I had known these things before I hastily purchased this product.

#6 indiemaker, Jan 28, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2007
  7. Bmc

Bmc New Member

Is it really that bad (and incomplete)? I was getting ready to purchase PTK but maybe I will hold off for a bit, since getting the source code is one of the big selling points for me.

8. indiemaker

Original Member

Yeah, it is incomplete. The source was last updated like jan 2006 so development has stopped it seems. All those cool things like having 3d studio max models, etc, are incomplete. And there are little bugs such as the scaling. And font text issues. God knows what else. And without having the abilty to recompile the libraries, the source isn't that useful. You can't fix bugs, or put in a new feature that the INIReader might need, like reading arrays.

The worst thing for me is, no support from patrick. No instructions on how to compile. No answers to emails. Nothing.

After paying 199.99 I am regretting choosing PTK. DO I sound bitter? heh. I just am disappointed. You'd think that paying 199.99, you'd get some support, and assurance that the product will be updated and continually expanded. But my emails to patrick have been ignored. Great support.

This is a bare-bones API with incomplete and poor documentation. I've heard good things about this API from this messageboard, but based on my experience, it is not worth 199.99.

9. barrygamer

Original Member

Hmm, I am using PTK too (yet to purchase). Bit worrying. I like PTK so far. I see that Patrice does answer some messages on his forum, I just assumed he spent most time with queries from licensed users.

I also assumed that since PTK has been used to create quite a few top casual games over recent years that it would not have major bugs in scaling, text routines etc. I will be keeping my eyes and ears open for any more info about these issues.
    (EDIT, I see patrice is now helping out in his forum).

10. indiemaker

Original Member

There are bugs to the scaling. What they must be doing is setting the world matrix themselves and getting around the bug. But the functions themselves have this bug.

And you are correct that many great games have been developed with PTK. That is why I chose to purchase this SDK. So clearly, this SDK can be used to make games.

But the negatives lead me to feel that 199.99 is too much. And the lack of support, lack of ability to recompile the source is disappointing.

Had I known that 1> you can't re-build the libraries and 2> Support from Patrick is non-existent, I'd think twice about buying this SDK.

11. Bmc

Bmc New Member

ok so everything is getting straightened out then? good, because I was pretty set on getting it.

12. indiemaker

Original Member

Ok to be fair, I just found out that Patric did reply to my message on the board, 28 days later. but he still didn't reply to my email.

He just uploaded the Project Files, so that's helpful.

Like I said, I was disappointed by the lack of support. As long as I can get my questions answered, even if it is 28 days later, and able to re-compile the library using the source, then it's pretty good.

13. Philippe

Original Member

From the forum it seems that Patrice is actively working on a new version, which I'd guess will iron out a few of the existing bugs.

As far as support goes, he mentioned in a recent thread that since the server switch they have trouble receiving mails from free e-mail providers, so perhaps that was your problem? My impression is that most questions on the forums get answered within reasonable time (except stuff like "how do I move a sprite across the screen?", which I think is perfectly fine). While your question may have received a slow response, I think it's a bit harsh to say support would be non-existent.

I'm pretty sure the money Phelios make from PTK sales is in no relation to the work they put in it, so kudos to them. There are some things that could be improved, but I think it's still the best option for cross-platform C++ development, and I'll be sure to buy it once I'm close to finishing my game.

14. siread

Original Member

I was trying out PTK right around the time they switched to a new messageboard. Getting any support at all was a nightmare and you couldn't even search the old boards (i think you can now). I decided pretty soon that PTK wasn't for me. The lack of developers posting on the board was worrying, the docs were virtually non-existent and like you say Patric was hard to get hold of. I went with BlitzMax in the end which has an awesome community. There's always someone willing to help. :)

15. Bmc

Bmc New Member

I recently purchased PTK and wasn't disappointed. Sure it isn't the most elegant ly design sdk out there, but if you know C++ you can fix it up. It makes one hell of a code base.

16. Mark Fassett

Moderator Indie Author

One reason you don't see too many developers on the PTK boards is that it's just too easy to use. The PTK boards have never been very active.

#16 Mark Fassett, Feb 1, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2007
  17. mpolzin

mpolzin New Member

Are these two products really comparable? I was under the impression that PTK was simply an SDK, you have to code in C++ or something linking to the libs to use it. Where Blitxmax uses some sort of proprietary Basic-looking langauge. Is this correct, or am I missing something.

18. Dan MacDonald

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I think this feature is in the current version of PTK that was released last week. Are you looking at the right location to download PTK updates?

19. indiemaker

Original Member

Its comparable in that you are paying a certain sum to make development of games easier. It's ultimately a tool.

PTK is ideal for c/c++ programmers, and I purchased it because it was exactly what I was looking for.

As long as there is customer support, and the API can be extended, or bugs fixed, I think this API is wonderful.

20. indiemaker

Original Member

Did you get an email notifying you about a new release? Like what the new build has, and does.

I didn't....

Last week?? A new release? I went to the registered log in page, and I see latest windows is Jan 04, 2006! Mac - Feb 1, 2007.

Was there a latest for PC?