PS3, something like Venture Africa, and motion sensing?

Discussion in 'Indie Related Chat' started by PoV, May 9, 2006.

1. PoV

PoV
    Indie Author

Anyone else catch the Sony thang? I'm sure someone will post some links, but just visit your favorite game news site to learn more.

Worth note from the Sony press conference off the top of my head:

- A game from one of Sony's Japanese studios that, while it's unlikely the same, really might remind you of Venture Africa or that other Africa game from a few IGF's ago
    - Price ($499 with 20 GB HD, $599 with 60 GB HD)
    - Motion sensing in the controller (Wiimote like)

Discuss. :D

2. DrWilloughby

Indie Author

SWEET! Sony is cloning me. Rad. :D

3. Olivier

Indie Author

More the money, less the ideas.®

4. soniCron

Indie Author

From what I can glean, the new controller has the following capabilities (as far as motion detection is concerned):
    • X-Y-Z
    • Pitch
    • Roll
    • Yaw
    • Lateral motion detection
    These are copied/pasted from Joystiq, and they don't elaborate any. Anyone know the sensetivity it has? Are we talking the full spectrum of motion sensing, or just basic accelerometer & gyro functionality? (Similar to the nunchuku plugin for the Wii.) It appears to merely augment the natural "Over there!" guestures of a typical gaming newbie -- that's disappointing. (Incidentally, they've also removed the rumble functionality, citing that it affects the motion sensing, while Nintendo is proudly proclaiming theirs offers that same functionality?)

Nevertheless, I'm super excited someone else (and Sony, at that) is taking the motion sensing seriously! I'm really disappointed this is all the new controller gets, but I'm greatful there appears to be some level of unrest among the two giants. Of course, it remains to be seen (in a matter of hours) how the Wii controller stands up to the traditional paradigm, but I can't help but expect the Wii controller will blow the Sony controller out of the water.

For now, that satisfies me, because Nintendo needs to be unique in order for this plan of theirs to work. If Nintendo really does start a revolution with their controller, then I'm sure we may see the other guys take a more committed stance on the subject. I have nothing personally invested in Nintendo, but I would like to see non-gamers take gaming seriously (or, not seriously, I guess), and if it takes the Wii to do that, then so be it.

After all is said and done, if Nintendo can truly attract a whole new segment to gaming, then I'll be more than satisfied to see either one of the other consoles follow suit with their own updated controllers. I have no loyalty to Nintendo: if the Wii-like functionality is truly as fun as I suspect it will be, then it'll be best for everyone to have an option. I just hope Nintendo gets the head-start they need to avoid going completely kaput. I don't want to see them die.

I'm disappointed the Sony controller may fall short this time around, but it's a strong indication of where the industry could lead, and that's excellent! I'm all for what's fun, and the Wii controller has really got me excited about gaming again, for the first time in many years. Who offers this functionality is incidental, but I'm just glad I can be here in the beginning of this exciting new world of gaming. (A predecessor to virtual reality, if you will.)

Long live Nintendo for their innovation, and long live Sony for having half a clue! May the games begin! :)

5. Chris Evans

Moderator Original Member

$600 for the premium pack? Once you add a game, extra controller, and any other misc. accessories, you're looking at close to $800! Unbelievable...
    This is suppose to be a mainstream game console? This is like the NeoGeo Gold Edition...

Thank God for Nintendo because otherwise I think the other console companies would just destroy the industry unabated (yeah I'm exaggerating a little). Sony and MS are obsessed with having their products becoming multimedia hubs. The game systems are starting to become just a payload for all this other crap that has very little to do with actual gaming. The inclusion of DVD playback on the PS2 was pretty cool because it came just at the right time when DVDs were becoming hot and it didn't jack the price up too much. But now Sony is adding Blueray compatibility, which is certainly expensive and I would argue very few people know what Blueray is at this point. The feature only appeals to technophiles at this point. Also while offering HD support is cool, High Definition is still very far off from hitting critical mass. Not to mention all the HD cables are expensive.

I like Sony (heck, I used to work there), but I just don't like the direction they're taking. It's becoming too much about the technology and less about the games. I'd be fine with it if the technology was serving the games, but much of it isn't. The lack of rumble support in the controllers? I think it's going to eventually hurt them. I'm already starting to see it with the DS and PSP. The PSP is technologically superior to the DS, but the DS currently is beating the PSP in all three major markets (Japan, US< and Euro). I've even heard rumors that some retailers may begin pulling UMD movies off the shelves... The PSP is a great piece of tech, but the great majority of games on it have been uninspired and/or derivative. It's a better gadget than game system. Whereas the DS is bulky and doesn't have cutting edge graphics, but there's been some real interesting and unique games that only it offers. It's a game system and doesn't try to do much more.

I'm eager to hear hands-on impressions of the Revolution (Wii be damned), since it's the only console that interests me in the slightest. Hopefully the Wiimote will end up being more than just a running joke that went too far....

But I still can't get over the price of the PS3. I've been reading several gaming forums and there are many hardcore gamers and usual early adopters who are also balking at the price. Either way, it looks good for us. It might mean more people might be inclined to checkout cheaper downloadable games. :)

6. gmcbay

Indie Author

Nintendo is in no danger of going kaput any time soon. Despite the constant attention everyone pays to the fact that the GameCube is #3 of 3 in marketshare, Nintendo is wildly profitable.

7. Sharpfish

Original Member

I was quite underwhelmed by the Sony stuff (on the streaming press and blog reports I've seen). I'm glad the controller was redesigned, the extra motion stuff is a cool aside that can be put to some good use (not sure I would want to control that flying game like that while holding a 2 Handed controller but I will reserve judgment). I do not like them removing rumble, saying it's "last gen" when they had a couple of other good reasons to drop it (weight, battery life, lawsuits ;) ). I have got used to whatever limited force feedback (and rumble is a very poor version of it) we have in current consoles so to drop it is a backwards step in my opinion.

The price is steep (expected) but if you are truly a game lover and they have good games then that will be no problem to the gamer who wants it.

I think Nintendo will definitely do better things with the motion stuff in the Wii controller. The Sony stuff looks like an afterthought whereas it was intrinsic to the Nintendo system from the start.

Now... let's look forward to the Nintendo conference for the full revolution revelations. ;)

edit> oh, and if I have to sit through another supposed game video that only plays the cutscenes and/or intro thinking it's a film, I will cry. Please start showing/making games that are games and not movie wannabes (I drift off to sleep during most hollywood style FMV - If I want to watch a film I will watch a film by a good filmaker not a game designer).... rant over.

8. soniCron

Indie Author

Strictly speaking, I was talking about them going kaput in the console market. Lord knows their mobile division is prospering. A blow this round could knock Nintendo out of the console game permanently, however.

I wouldn't worry about it this time around. The two unreleased consoles have already revealed "real" footage of their games, and both are close to launch, so I think there'll be little in the way of trying to B.S. us this year.

9. Sharpfish

Original Member

I mean actual FMV "movie" footage from games instead of gameplay videos. The intros, the cutscenes, the story development. That should be saved for when you play the game, I want to see gameplay footage in videos supposedly about games.

I just get tired of seeing all the games trying to be like films where you have to sit through 10 minutes of cinematics every "level". Ok it's all part of the game, but when you want to see new gameplay footage you don't need to see the intros and cutscenes with their hollywood style voiceovers and clever soundbites. I feel like I am sitting in the cinema waiting for the main feature to start and I all I get is out of context trailers ;)

10. Fry Crayola

Original Member

The controller smacks of being something cobbled together after Nintendo's reveal back in October - hence the demo of its capabilities being a hastily modified game as opposed to something with a little more thought to it. We haven't yet seen the Wii controller in proper action, hopefully we get that later today.

That said, it doesn't really matter to a gamer if it's a knock off, rushed or anything - if it works and companies take advantage of it, we win.

The price is quite outrageous though. For the price of the 60GB pack, in all likelihood you could pick up an Xbox 360 core pack and a Wii and still have change. No doubt the Bluray stuff is adding to the cost but when you couple that price with the lack of anything interesting in the show last night beyond Heavenly Sword and MGS4 (the latter of which is a dead cert to be purchased at any rate), I can't see myself wanting this at release. Well, Eight Days and that Flashback-meets-Far Cry-and-Tomb Raider game from Naughty Dog, but they do smack of pre-renderedivity (new word). If the gameplay was anything like that, they'd be great. They won't be like that.

It is quite fun though that they've relegated the PSP to be used as a wing mirror in your driving games. As if anyone could ever be arsed to set it up properly. If they owned two and were driving mad, perhaps.

11. Sharpfish

Original Member

Well Joystiq's hands on with warhawk/PS3 controller wasn't exactly full of positivity as I suspected.

There is some difference between a 2 part controller that can be held naturally (while moving your arms/wrists) and a standard controller that MUST have both hands on while moving your arms around. The guy from the warhawk dev team who demo-ed it not only look uncomfortable but he also looked daft. Moving both of your arms up (blocking your vision) while craning your neck to watch the screen never looked so pointless.

This is worlds away from what Nintendo are trying to do with the Wii-mote. We will know more later but if you imagine holding the sony and the nintendo controllers and using them in a kinetic fashion the Wii-mote is the obvious natural choice.

Totally unimpressed with the Sony stuff. I didn't see one game that got me excited and for all their talk of horsepower and technology there was nothing that showed that just yet. Combine that with the price and the Xbox 360 actually starts to look viable. Again it comes down to games though.

So nothing's changed for me so far. The Wiivolution is still the only system i'm looking forward to trying out and buying if it has decent games. The other systems can wait until they have games that I definitely want to play (so middle of next year probably!) :)

12. rioka

rioka New Member

Why, oh why did Sony do that? It reaks of last-minute additions. Plus, compared to the latest news about the Wiimote's secrets - it'll look like a poor relation. It'll most likely just end up making the Wiimote look better. Bad business move, imo.

13. luggage

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

But all that sounds rubbish to be honest - except the console's price.

I get annoyed the 360 is "on" when it's off. It interferes with the TV signal we bounce around the house.

And as for the speaker\microphone - so it's like having a shit headset?

Great.

14. luggage

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

I don't understand how folk can complain about the PS3 controller being crap because you have to lift it up and block your view, etc. but not level the same criticism at the Wii.

At least be consistent.

15. Sharpfish

Original Member

The assumption that it will be less natural is the fact you have to have both hands on the controller at the same time. Your arms form a visual barrier which may or may not be a problem depending on the placement of your TV and your intended use.

The wiimote is seperate controllers (or 1 controller) held with a hand each - that is the fundamental difference. As for consistency? I couldn't give a shit about that, it's not my job it's my opinion. I just hope no-one brings the F word into this thread (ending in "boy") because frankly it is overused. I can see good and bad in all 3 of the brands and their machines, nothing is truly amazing and none of them completely suck either. Everything else is conjecture and opinion so don't take it so seriously.

16. Sharpfish

Original Member

/nintendo conference over... much fun and importantly *gameplay* to be seen.

Now that's how you do motion sensing controllers! :)

17. KNau

Original Member

Off topic but - you gotta love the changeover period for consoles. Now you can go out and pick up and X-Box, PS2, Gamecube and games for cheaper than a next gen system. I've been picking up previously played games for less than $10 bucks. Gamer paradise!

The first year for any system basically sucks as far as pricing and game selections go. Wait a year and the price will come down dramatically - probably at least 30% by Christmas 2007 and by then a few killer app titles should be out.

18. Savant

Original Member

19. vjvj

Indie Author

I'm excited about several of the Sony games and think they look cool. I was hoping for a lower price though.

I agree the Wii controller looks better to me.

20. Jim Buck

Indie Author

I believe the *real* reason why the Sony controller doesn't have the vibrating mechanism is due to the patent issues with the company that was/is suing Sony over this.