PS Vita Suite...?

Discussion in 'Indie Business' started by SLotman, Mar 27, 2012.

1. SLotman

Original Member Indie Author

Just saw this, which apparently was shown on GDC:

http://www.playstation.com/pss/developer/2012GDC-PSSuiteOverview.pdf

Sony going into AppStore "model"...

Does anyone knows how to get into this? (I've already registered at the developer site, is there anything else that can be done?)
    Any thoughts about how it will perform? (Another race to the bottom...?)

2. adesilva

adesilva New Member

from what I recall I believe Sony stated they would be releasing more information in the Fall. Till then not much we can do but what

3. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

Why aim for second class to start with?

Contact Sony and get on PSN proper - we made it and we're about as small and indie as you'll find. And they loaned us kit. And they're not cheeky enough to charge us $100 for the privilege of making them money either.

4. electronicStar

Original Member

I'm not too hot on this. It seems to be just a particular appstore for sony licensed android devices.
    The wide range of devices doesn't encourage the use of the gamepad (which would be a real advantage for the gameplay)
    This would be very interesting if the PS VITA had been a huge success but...
    So why not just stick to android market?
    I'd be more interested in a XBLIG-like for PS3/4

5. Jim Buck

Indie Author

I saw the PlayStation Suite (not PSVita Suite; there's no such thing) talk at GDC. It is basically Sony's answer to the AppStore where you can use (I think) C# to develop your apps to run on Android devices and the PSVita. I believe it was Mono that was running the code, so of course you are not going to get the speed and low-level access as you would as a "real" PSVita developer. I'm not sure how well such a game developed on this platform could/would sell on the PSVita given the other nice options existing on the PSVita (not to mention that PSP Minis that are already available there, which is probably equivalent to what you might be able to do with the C#/Mono on PSVita).

Having said that, it might be the only option for many indies to "get" onto PSVita if you can call that "getting onto PSVita". PSVita licensed approval is still not overly easy to come by. Paul, I think you got it since you have been around the block quite a few times, same with me, but I know a developer who was even back at Sony when Sony was first starting in games (early/mid 90s), and even he can't get approval just yet (since his one-man startup is still fairly new).

6. Applewood

Moderator Original Member Indie Author

You maybe right, but it might also be that they're getting more titles signed up now too. Same thing happened on XBLA.

Mind you, there's so many hurdles popping up now that it's getting a bit old unless there's some truly big money to be made here, which of course cannot be answered atm.

7. SLotman

Original Member Indie Author

I've already contacted Sony a long time ago... and got no reply :(
    (I've even tried an specific email for latin america, no luck there either)

And it's on "Open Beta" now: http://www.playstation.com/pss/